Best route for 100%

Shorah-

I've always wanted to get into Xcom 2 and now that i have all dlcs, i was wondering what would be the best route to get from 0% to 100%. 

I'm looking for something reasonnable considering i really want to play the game legit and not abuse the always my turn glitch to get legend, no death, all dlcs in a single run.

Thx guys.

16 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

I've always wanted to get into Xcom 2 and now that i have all dlcs, i was wondering what would be the best route to get from 0% to 100%. 

I'm looking for something reasonnable considering i really want to play the game legit and not abuse the always my turn glitch to get legend, no death, all dlcs in a single run.

Thx guys.

Do you have previous experience with Xcom games? Are you OK save scumming? It's hard to advise without a little more information, but in general I would recommend not biting off more than you can chew or you're going to find yourself very frustrated with the game and not enjoying it. For instance, I would NOT combine any of the following:

1. Ironman

2. Legend

3. War of the Chosen

4. Exquisite Timing

That means probably 4-5 playthroughs (partial for War of the Chosen). You can condense this a bit if you're OK with save scumming or are an exceptionally skilled and/or experienced player. I've played a lot of Xcom games and I save scum like mad (shameful, I know) and I still did it like this over the course of several years (based on my trophy list, I don't recall this all off the top of my head):

1. "Easy" run for all DLC (not War of the Chosen as it hadn't been released yet)

2. Commander run + no deaths + exquisite timing

3. War of the Chosen (partial run)

4. Legend

5. Ironman

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Do you have previous experience with Xcom games? Are you OK save scumming?

No prior experience but i'm the type of guy that will watch a lot of youtube content like guides, legend no death runs before starting the game. I'm not going blind learning by mistakes.

Save scumming... reasonable is the word. If i have to restart every turn that doesnt go exactly my way, or every 85% i miss, its going to be awful and i'd better glitch the game right ?

4 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

No prior experience but i'm the type of guy that will watch a lot of youtube content like guides, legend no death runs before starting the game. I'm not going blind learning by mistakes.

Save scumming... reasonable is the word. If i have to restart every turn that doesnt go exactly my way, or every 85% i miss, its going to be awful and i'd better glitch the game right ?

Just want to state explicitly that I love this game so the last thing I want to do is discourage you from playing it. I don't think you need to save scum to that degree, nor would it be practical given the load times. It's more like you'll encounter a few key situations that will trash your run if you don't get it just right, mostly towards the beginning of the game. Once you get properly geared you'll be effectively unstoppable as long as you don't play recklessly.

Given what I know now, I would probably still recommend an easy completionist run first, played as legit as possible, followed by a legendary run also played as legit as possible. My legend run was by far my favorite and really forced me to learn certain things that weren't critical on easier difficulties.

War of the Chosen, for me, was too much of a good thing and I did the minimum possible to earn the trophies, but you may feel differently so maybe give that a try earlier than I did.

Ironman is not something I enjoy and Exquisite Timing is also pretty finicky, so I would save those for last and exploit as much as you feel comfortable.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Shorah- said:

If i hear you correctly i should not mix all dlcs first but keep war of the chosen for later ?

In my opinion, yes. WotC greatly increases the complexity of the game to the point where, to me, it almost felt like a different game entirely. Very different from the previous XCOM iterations (i.e., vanilla XCOM 2, Enemy Unknown, Enemy Within).

Don't get me wrong, WotC undoubtedly added some very cool stuff. But just earning the WotC-specific trophies gave me enough of a taste that I didn't feel the need to explore it all 100%.

I'm sure someone out there would disagree with me though. Maybe try that as your second playthrough and see how you like it. I really wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough, though, especially if you want to do the alien rulers DLC. Mixing the rulers and the chosen seems like it could lead to some frustration for a new player.

Looks like you have a ps5, definitely play it on there to minimize load times too. And if you need some help with the mp trophy you can ping me. The only nuance there is that in order to match, both players need the *exact* same DLC setup, so be aware of that. Aside from that it take maybe 10 minutes to get.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think the guide here offers the best route in my experience so far. Unless you are completely new to Xcom, I'd encourage ou to go and do Legend + Ironman playthrough on your first shot. It will be a "drinking from a firehose" learning exp but you'll eventually get the hang of the game. I'm currently on mid game and I have done all missions flawless except for one (with a lot of save scumming ofc).

Research the heck out of Legend difficulty and Xcom 2: Best research path, best buildings, best classes, dark events, skills, Avatar project etc. Reading and preparing beforehand is the key to long-term success. Don't bother with trial and error, there's a lot of good info out there.

Lastly, do not install any dlc. I would turn off my brain from even thinking about them until I have most if not all commander+ difficulty related trophies in the bag. This is probably too early for me to say, but save the dlc runs for when you have to do cleanups for trophies and/or you can get everything on rookie difficulty.

Hope this helps!