What has been your most favourite racing game?

DaveMcDamage

53 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

@Destructor-8 come put these children to bed with your KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE

The best I've played will always be Super Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Jak X: Combat Racing, Porsche Challenge, Gran Turismo 3, any Burnout game, Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2012, Wipeout, Motorstorm series & most recently the Dirt Rally series. I remember Super Mario Kart was the first game that I ever played & I think Porsche Challenge was one of the other ones that I remember, brilliant game. Crash Team Racing is one of the best ever made & is still fun even now. I really did enjoy doing Jak X: Combat racing over & over as that was a game that was all I ever played at the time. I played a lot of Gran Turismo 3 but back then I wouldn't play it properly lol, just going straight into the walls was a lot of fun. The best game still that I played will always be Burnout Paradise as it's the game that I have spent the most time on. I used to play with a lot of the fastest players when Paradise was out & it was an experience to learn from those amazing players. I did enjoy Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2012 as well as that was the closest to that game & that's still the best game when it comes to maintaining a top speed as not many other games can pull that off.

The Wipeout games obviously are some of the most fun I've played in recent times & did enjoy going back to do those games many times until I was able to complete the game in the minimum time that is possible. I hope the Motorstorm series comes back as I would enjoy doing those games again as those are a lot of fun. The Dirt Rally series has been some of the most well made games ever in recent times especially Dirt Rally 2.0 which I highly recommend although it's a pretty hard game. I'd put Dirt Rally 2.0 up there with almost any game out there.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 3

Been some brilliant mentions in here. 

Yep I too loved the old Mario Kart games, never got to play the crash games though. TOCA and Gran Tourismo are great mentions and oh how I wish we had tigger for acceleration and braking on the joypads back then. Those games would have been timeless. Colin McRae rally was another great racing series. Codemasters were kings back then for me. 

I don't have a wheel anymore though, but man are they an amazing experience for when you get a really good sim racer, or any racer where you can tune the car settings to suit your wheel, be it arcade or sim. The last actual serious racer I played was RacePro. 

For those into the more real world car racers, are you more a super car fan or everyday car which you can spec and make awesome?

One of my all time favorites is from back in my arcade days. I spent many hours playing Super Off-Road (1989) in the arcade dungeons at the local mall.

Another was a game called Stunts (1990) for PC (Dos). I spent plenty of hours building crazy tracks and then racing them.

Both bring back good memories... :)

More recently I have had some good fun with The Crew and Burnout Paradise Remaster on PS4.

Edited by gruffiiti
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I don't have a wheel anymore though, but man are they an amazing experience for when you get a really good sim racer, or any racer where you can tune the car settings to suit your wheel, be it arcade or sim. The last actual serious racer I played was RacePro. 

For those into the more real world car racers, are you more a super car fan or everyday car which you can spec and make awesome?

I tried the VR mode of Gran Turismo Sport with a wheel and using a supercar and whoa, that was a rush.

Any modern racing game that lets me drive a 1970 Chevelle SS is cool in my books. There’s not many but when do find one I’ll just cruise around if it lets you. I love that car.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willmill97 said:

Motorstorm Pacific Rift & Motorstorm Apocalypse. 

Pacific Rift had a stronger single player and Apocalypse had a stronger multiplayer but I love them both dearly and if they were to ever be remastered I might just shit my pants. 

I will never forgive Sony for what they did to Evolution Studios

• Like 1

Probably CTR: Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, honestly. Put way too much time into it trying to unlock and complete everything that the game had to offer. lmao

It's honestly such a shame that the game's online mode turned out to be absolute trash, and that the inclusion of MTX made the game ridiculously grindy.

It'd likely be my favorite remake of all time if it weren't for those issues being present due to Activision's laziness and greed. :/

Unlocked everything by grinding for hours on end anyways, and I still really appreciate how much content Beenox put into the game nonetheless.

Admittedly I do wish that they had added more content, but I'm just glad we got as much as we did, and that they included characters from more than just the original games.

Edited by Zephrese

Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout: Revenge easily. Best arcade racing games I've ever played. Great sense of speed, destructibility, awesome soundtrack - just endless fun, especially with friends. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) would take a place below.

For kart racing, I love Crash Team Racing. Replayed it not too long ago (yes, the PS1 version), and it's still enjoyable.

For auto simulators, Shift 2: Unleashed is probably my favourite. 

I've played a lot of racing games (NFS, Burnout, Dirt, WRC, Split/Second, Pure, Gran Turismo, etc), but I also missed a lot of good ones. Never played Mario Kart, and I want to play MK8DX. Never played Project Gotham Racing and Midnight Club, I heard they were good. And I've never played any Forza games. Wanted to try out Forza Horizon games specifically for a very long time.

• Like 4

Blur stole my heart and drove away with it. RIP Bizarre Creations.

But to be completely honest, there's way too many. Racing games are my favourite genre ever since I started playing video games after all, so I obviously played a lot of them across several console & PC generations. Some of my most influential games are Super Mario Kart, Wacky Wheels, NASCAR Racing & IndyCar Racing, Daytona USA, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, the Gran Turismo series, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, World Driver Championship, F1 World Grand Prix 1 & 2 on both N64 & Dreamcast, Destruction Derby 2 & Raw, Metropolis Street Racer & the Project Gotham Racing series, several Need for Speed titles (especially Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, Hot Pursuit 2, and the two Underground games), SEGA GT, the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series on Dreamcast & PS2, the Midnight Club series (MC1 was my very first PS2 game), the original WRC series on PS2, TOCA/DTM Race Driver 1-3 (+ the two TOCA games on PS1), the Burnout series (especially 2 & 3), Motorstorm Pacific Rift, the aforementioned Blur, Split/Second, and DriveClub. And there are probably quite a few I'm forgetting right now, but there is one more series I definitely won't forget to mention...

And that's the Ridge Racer series - it holds a very special place in my heart. The original was the first 3D polygon-based game I ever played. Little Me was blown away by the amazing graphics back then. When my godfather finally bought me my own PS1 years later, the very first game I got was Ridge Racer Revolution. And I loved it. Two years later I not only got my hands on the original (finally!), but I also got both Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4 as birthday gifts. Ridge Racer 64 was the first one I actually had to buy with my own money during the following year, same with 5 later that same year - but unlike RR64, which was brand-new, 5 was "just" a used copy from a local game store. Went from 5 straight to 6 (skipped the PSP entries and played them both after 7), and absolutely loved it. 7 was even better and is in my opinion the pinnacle of modern Ridge Racer. It's also home to my biggest success in online gaming to date.

The Vita one on the other hand, well... the gameplay was perfectly fine, but how it was ripped apart for DLC purposes was not. Could have been such a great game, just like the two PSP entries, if all of the DLC items would have been on the cartridge to begin with. But regardless of what happened, I really miss this type of racing game, and I really hope we'll see the Ridge Racer series again someday. Even if it's just a remaster of 6 and/or 7. A Ridge Racer collection - with the arcade exclusive Rave Racer - would be bloody amazing.

Also, on a quick side note: My profile is now home to 85 racing game platinums, does anyone have more than that?

Thanks for reading this mess of a post. Stay safe and drive fast, everyone. ?️

Edited by Suminya
  • Like 2

Nothing will ever beat Ridge Racer Revolution (Or Ridge Racer 2, arcade version)

Power drifting around several corners to the beats of 90s Bouncy Techno never gets old. (Daytona USA arcade gets a close second)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Being mediocre at playing them, I haven't touched a dedicated racing title since like 2005. Midnight Club was probably the series I spent the most time on, though. Had great music and style.

If I'm honest my racing mojo broke after Forza 2. Don't get me wrong I still love the sport and cars in general, but my dedication to them broke years back. Tried a number of racer since then but I just cannot get into them anymore, but thats happened to a few genres for me. But its also why Forza 2 has nothing but amazing memories for me. I even hate online gaming but that was just epic and the community made it even more so. 

Though I would like to try and get back into Gran Tourismo as it was the daddy of racers before Forza, but where Forza evolved with its audience, GT seemed to be stuck and then the previous game was online only I heard so I never even bothered with it. Hope thats not the case with GT7 and like Forza Motorsport, it does put a lot of focus on everyday cars and nt just the super and hyper cars. 

• Like 1