Persona 4 Golden & Persona 3 Portable heading to PS4

Abby_TheLastofUs

So upset it's not FES. I don't like not being able to explore the school and other locations as well as it lacking The Answer which gives Aigis (the best character) more character development. I've also been told the game becomes extremely easy when you can control the characters instead of leaving it to the AI.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

still wish a physical but whatever. ill take it

Atlus, while you dipshits are playing platform faves, why not put SMT V on a better system eh? doubt it though 

We don't know it won't get a physical tho, correct? I mean Atlus loves to be fucky so who knows, but it could still happen?

27 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Atlus, while you dipshits are playing platform faves, why not put SMT V on a better system eh? doubt it though 

Considering it took years before these games were ported, you're probably going to be waiting for a while. Personally SMTV was a meh Megaten game. 

11 minutes ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

We don't know it won't get a physical tho, correct? I mean Atlus loves to be fucky so who knows, but it could still happen?

exactly.  Worst case i can see LRG knowing a demand for it and doing a release. Would be a pain since it's an 8 month turnaround with them lol 

11 minutes ago, majob said:

Considering it took years before these games were ported, you're probably going to be waiting for a while. Personally SMTV was a meh Megaten game. 

Yeah, from the little i played i wasnt the biggest fan, but i also felt its held back quite a bit on the switch. Also forever i thought the main character was a girl haha. Apparently its a boy.

Would you take a ground up Persona 2 remake?

58 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

So upset it's not FES. I don't like not being able to explore the school and other locations as well as it lacking The Answer which gives Aigis (the best character) more character development. I've also been told the game becomes extremely easy when you can control the characters instead of leaving it to the AI.

Same. I got about halfway through P3P before dropping it (after completing FES), because I hated how it felt like a visual novel aside from the dungeons. I mentioned it earlier on, but I think the ideal way to re-release Persona 3 nowadays, would be essentially FES with the P3P content added in, such as female MC, and having player controlled party members being an option. I actually quite enjoyed the AI controlled party as well, thought it fit in with the theme of the game fairly well (which I won't spoil for anyone that hasn't played it), and while it was definitely annoying at times, you could issue enough generalised tactics that it wasn't as much of an annoyance as it initially seemed before playing the game. That being said, I hated having to pay to heal yourself in P3P so that "feature" can fuck right off.

35 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

So glad to hear it's coming to PS5 now at least. Hopefully they do get physicals. The fact they seem to have been confirmed for PS5 but not PS4 makes me think we may not see them till 2024, or perhaps even later. Atlus has been kinda notorious about releasing games on previous gen hardware for quite some time, such as Persona 4 in 2009 on PS2, Persona 5 in 2017 on PS3, and Persona Q2 in 2019 on 3DS (Western release dates anyway). So seems a bit strange they wouldn't bother releasing them on both PS4 and PS5, unless it's going to be in a few years where the PS4 will likely be getting a lot less games.

I think there's a decent chance they could still get physicals. I don't believe anything has confirmed whether they will or won't yet?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Same. I got about halfway through P3P before dropping it (after completing FES), because I hated how it felt like a visual novel aside from the dungeons. I mentioned it earlier on, but I think the ideal way to re-release Persona 3 nowadays, would be essentially FES with the P3P content added in, such as female MC, and having player controlled party members being an option. I actually quite enjoyed the AI controlled party as well, thought it fit in with the theme of the game fairly well (which I won't spoil for anyone that hasn't played it), and while it was definitely annoying at times, you could issue enough generalised tactics that it wasn't as much of an annoyance as it initially seemed before playing the game. That being said, I hated having to pay to heal yourself in P3P so that "feature" can fuck right off.

So glad to hear it's coming to PS5 now at least. Hopefully they do get physicals. The fact they seem to have been confirmed for PS5 but not PS4 makes me think we may not see them till 2024, or perhaps even later. Atlus has been kinda notorious about releasing games on previous gen hardware for quite some time, such as Persona 4 in 2009 on PS2, Persona 5 in 2017 on PS3, and Persona Q2 in 2019 on 3DS (Western release dates anyway). So seems a bit strange they wouldn't bother releasing them on both PS4 and PS5, unless it's going to be in a few years where the PS4 will likely be getting a lot less games.

I think there's a decent chance they could still get physicals. I don't believe anything has confirmed whether they will or won't yet?

yeah i feel they mentioned gamepass just to help push like "hey day 1 itll be there", but i also expect Sony to do the bonhead move of NOT putting on plus at launch so we would have to pay.

For physical... Bundled... ill go $50Canada, separate, I'd go $30 a piece.

also this new plus, i fail to see a ps3 section.

Persona 3 needs a remake or definitive version, for damn real. 

I hate how Portable and FES both have exclusive features which are not in the other. Like FES has 3D gameplay and anime cutscenes, but no controllable teammates. Portable has female route and controllable teammates, but outside of Tartarus, it is essentially like a visual novel, which could be a turn off for some. Portable also lacks “The Answer” from FES. So no matter which version you play, you’ll be missing out on something crucial.

Happy for the ports and I’ll get the platinums, but Persona 3 needs an updated version. 

Edited by arcanehornet_
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Would you take a ground up Persona 2 remake?

No, it wouldn't really work. The first 3 persona games were more like traditional Megaten

games. Their story doesn't really work for the student sim model that came with 3

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, majob said:

No, it wouldn't really work. The first 3 persona games were more like traditional Megaten

games. Their story doesn't really work for the student sim model that came with 3

I think with enough tweaking, they could definitely get it to work with the Persona 2 games. The characters and story themes are already fairly similar to what you find in the newer games (I'd even argue that Lisa Silverman is proto-Ann Takamaki), with a very heavy emphasis on reality being based around the human psyche, and personifications of the human cognition in the forms of Philemon and Nyarlathotep (as well as shadow versions of the main cast). Throw in some social links for the characters, make the persona fusion system and combat more in-line with the modern games, and I could see it working. The main hurdle I see is, I'm not really sure how they'd go about making "timed dungeons" or the more "mellow", less action orientated arcs that exist in Persona 3-5, but I don't think it's something that's 100% necessary, personally.

But I'm definitely biased because the Persona 2 duology are still some of my favourite games in the series. Would love to see them modernised, though I know it's very unlikely to ever happen. Would at least like to see the PSP version of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment localised, but I also don't see that ever happening...

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

14 minutes ago, MegaMegu__ said:

No Ps4 release?

Looks like there's an exclusivity window on Xbox, so I guess they're basing the release on the idea that by the time the older two games do come to Playstation, a PS4 version won't be as useful / financially viable? 

19 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That’s true…

…though I must admit, I’m not super comfortable with “rewarding” Microsoft for trying to bully me into playing on thier system, just by throwing money around and locking up exclusivity deals for existing games and franchises, rather than creating new ones…

If it ends up going that way, there’s other games in the sea :dunno:

… and I’ve always got the PsP Version waiting in the wings 263a.png

Microsoft is now offering others than just PlayStation owners the possibility to play the games for the first time though? Earlier people were forced to buy PlayStation hardware so they could play the Persona main series games.

10 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Microsoft is now offering others than just PlayStation owners the possibility to play the games for the first time though? Earlier people were forced to buy PlayStation hardware so they could play the Persona main series games.

Well, doesn't matter now, as they're confirmed for PS5... ?

...but I don't really think that's a fair comparison... at least, it doesn't "smell" the same to me ?

A series existing on one platform exclusively from the beginning is not really the same thing as a company spending the money to lock up a series that already exists.

Building exclusive series from the ground up, (whether that's through in-house development, or through 3rd Party deals,) feels like a more positive way to attract customers to your platform, IMO.

It feels like putting in the work, or taking the risks, which customers then feel good about and reward.

Going out and securing exclusive ongoing support for a series that used to be multi-platform, or exclusive to another system, feels less good to me - that feels more liable to cause some animosity in the existing fanbase, and result in either them losing access in the series, or begrudgingly moving over to the other system to follow it.

The first case is a company building a fanbase for a series...

...the second is a company trying  to "buy" a pre-existing fanbase, if that makes sense?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Afaik Xbox is the worst plataform for JRPGs, so I would be really surprised and even disappointed if those games never came to Playstation. No information about a PS4 release saddens me though. I was planning on finally going for the P4G platinum as my 125th, but I will put that on hold and go for P5 instead. I want to play P4G on a big screen! 

1 hour ago, MegaMegu__ said:

No Ps4 release?

First game is slated for late 2022 on xbox and Sony has already said they're ceasing PS4 support by 2024 so its most likely by the time the PS5 release hits, it'll be too close to that closure window to make it worthwhile 

46 minutes ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

Afaik Xbox is the worst plataform for JRPGs, so I would be really surprised and even disappointed if those games never came to Playstation. No information about a PS4 release saddens me though. I was planning on finally going for the P4G platinum as my 125th, but I will put that on hold and go for P5 instead. I want to play P4G on a big screen! 

It is. However, Yakuza enjoyed a bit of a popularity spike due to its time on Xbox Game Pass. Persona will be no different.

2 minutes ago, Johnathan994 said:

Hell yeah! I have never played golden, only the vanilla P4 so I cannot wait! :D If the trophies end up being simple as P5R I'll aim for that plat in both P3 and P4G :D 

Plat is simple. However, a lot of people think the Risette trophy is aids. It's pretty similar to the Futaba passionate listener trophy in P5 vanilla. But it's a lot worse.

Still found it quite manageable as long as you keep a spreadsheet of the lines Rise says. (Aka a pain in the ass.)

• Like 1