Everyone should drop what they're doing and play this.

MandA60VISE

I was really looking foreward to finally be able to play this obscure old ps1 game. I read great things about it. an anti-rpg without battles.

the fact fact alone, that the developer of undertale called it his inspiration for undertale sold it to me.

ps: about its title. it is called just "Moon" or "Moon: Remix RPG Adventure". "Moon's" seems to be a mistake

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Your shameless begging has really touched a warm spot deep inside my cold icy heart and now I really wanna drop everything and play Moon’s for you. But it might help support your case if you posted a little more info or a video of some gameplay or something because there doesn’t seem to be much info on this one. It’s called “Moon’s” or “Moon”?

It's actually called "moon", idk why PSNProfile changed it

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

It's actually called "moon", idk why PSNProfile changed it

Yeah idk, there are several things adding to the confusion. It’s mislabelled here on PSNP. “Moon” is supposed to be the real title as it appears on the store, but I couldn’t find much info at all when searching for it on Google.

Oddly enough, I found a lot of stuff under “Moon: Remix RPG Adventure” like @Ranari_Kai reported above. This appears to be it’s title on Nintendo Switch.

Btw, here is a quick look at a few minutes of gameplay footage from the Switch version for anyone interested. It does actually look like a neat little game:

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, TJsTrophies said:

Interesting...

On 12/16/2021 at 5:58 AM, dieselmanchild said:

Snip

How are you supposed to know it's not for you if you don't try it? The trailers just simply don't convey the feeling of playing and getting enamored by the game in my opinion. The older generations of gaming is full of niche, quirky games that just simply aren't made much anymore. Again, not everyone will find a game like moon fascinating like I did but you've all probably heard time and again to expand your horizons. Sorry for the lack of information and contradictory language but I constantly play games on word of mouth alone and have a bad habit of realizing others aren't like that. I just believe that there's a treasure trove of untranslated media that deserve better than to be lost to the tides of time. Yet, I understand that many people nowadays just won't bother with older titles for many reasons, especially obscure ones.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

How are you supposed to know it's not for you if you don't try it? The trailers just simply don't convey the feeling of playing and getting enamored by the game in my opinion. The older generations of gaming is full of niche, quirky games that just simply aren't made much anymore. Again, not everyone will find a game like moon fascinating like I did but you've all probably heard time and again to expand your horizons. Sorry for the lack of information and contradictory language but I constantly play games on word of mouth alone and have a bad habit of realizing others aren't like that. I just believe that there's a treasure trove of untranslated media that deserve better than to be lost to the tides of time. Yet, I understand that many people nowadays just won't bother with older titles for many reasons, especially obscure ones.

So I guess we’re just basement dwellers stuck in the past, am I right? 

Nice generalization here. Next time don’t make a topic acting so condescending, maybe people won’t react in a negative light. 

A number of us do expand our horizons, so that’s another thing you completely missed over.

3 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Unless I'm really missing the point here I don't see anything condescending neither generalizing about OP's topic, and he/she is right about obscure games needing more attention, back on topic will definitely check OP, thanks for posting.

The topic creator is saying everyone drop what they're doing and play this game, then states it's not a game for everyone. That's basically going back on your own word. I mean cmon.

23 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

How are you supposed to know it's not for you if you don't try it? The trailers just simply don't convey the feeling of playing and getting enamored by the game in my opinion.

I wish I could just try every single game on a whim when I wanted to, but that’s just not practical for me, or for most people I’d imagine tbh. But to be fair I do understand your sentiment here. You can learn a lot from a gameplay footage, reviews, or word of mouth, but you’re absolutely right in that it doesn’t come close to actually experiencing it for yourself, and until you do you can never really know for sure how you’re going to feel about it.

Sorry for the lack of information and contradictory language but I constantly play games on word of mouth alone and have a bad habit of realizing others aren't like that.

I can’t speak for others, but for me personally it’s just a force of habit to research games before purchasing them. For one, games are expensive as shit (especially here in Canada) and I just can’t afford to be wasting money on games that I might not enjoy just because some rando on some thread said it was good.

Another reason is that I am primarily a trophy hunter and so I also like to know what to expect when it comes to a trophy list or requirements to reach 100% completion or earn the platinum trophy. None of these sorts of things are deal breakers by any means or means I’ll skip over a game, but learning things like this about a game is just part of my personal process of shopping and deciding what I might want to purchase.

expand your horizons. 

I just believe that there's a treasure trove of untranslated media that deserve better than to be lost to the tides of time. Yet, I understand that many people nowadays just won't bother with older titles for many reasons, especially obscure ones.

You’re right about that, but I am not one of those people. One of my favourite things about this trophy hunting hobby has been the way it has continuously expanded my horizons as a gamer and pushed me to try new things. Of course my focus is always on hunting trophies and collecting platinums, but this constant search for interesting games to play has pushed me into all kinds of new genres and franchises that may not have landed on my radar otherwise.

And I’m always keeping an eye out for new ones, hidden gems or obscure indies that look interesting so I can continue to evolve as a gamer and trophy hunter. This is one of the main reasons I joined communities of like-minded people such as PSNP, I love to see what my peers are playing and discover hidden gems I’ve never heard of before.

Edited by dieselmanchild

I've always thought of this as a pretty well known cult game but it has extremely enthusiastic supporters & I wonder if that has skewed my impression a bit. In any case I've always wanted to play this & was very happy to see it go up! 

p4TeSU6.png

I made sure to do the right thing and support Onion Games but have no idea when I'll get around to playing. There's even a good chance I'll do Black Bird first. They did us a solid with those release discounts, love that sort of thing. I had a quick go at both games earlier & they seemed to be very good indeed.

The Moon trophy set looks good & straightforward. There's a walkthrough at gamefaqs that should help. It's encouraging to see someone got it done in a bit over a day, that makes me think it'll be an agreeable length.

Lastly, going to the onion games about us page & looking at Yoshiro Kimura's profile shows a guy who has worked on some pretty intense stuff. Romancing Saga's, Rule of Rose, Chulip, No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned & more. That's a pretty damn strong CV. 

Between Black Bird, Moon, Deathsmiles I & II, Lodoss War & a couple of other things this past week of releases has almost been too good to be true.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2021 at 7:11 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

looks interesting, i love obscure titles like this.

I'd never heard of this game, but the idea of a nice PS1 era "anti-RPG" with trophies that had never officially been translated to English before sounded like fun! Glad I picked this up. It's very chill and very weird. I like weird games! Picked the game up after reading OP's post. Relaxing after a few hours of Riders Republic racing ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, the game has quite a lot of pedigree. It's one of those cult classics that never left Japan. I've been aware of the game for many years now, imagine my surprise at it getting a translated re-release out of the blue one day.

It's a parody of JRPGs, and of Dragon Warrior in particular. Funny we already had parodies of JRPGs 25 years ago. :-/

It's obviously also a huge inspiration for Undertale.

I can understand suggesting going into the game blind. The fake game -> real game reveal is clever, but it's not a novel trick anymore and the game is pretty slow, especially the opening. Other than that, it's a pretty standard adventure/puzzle game. Still, it's a pretty good game. I like that it's mostly open-world.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/moon-remix-rpg-adventure/

Edited by Garamoth