Best FF game(s) for newcomer?

its_ArchroniX

The Final Fantasy games have always triggered me to try them out and get to 100% but so far I haven't played any of them (FFXV a few hours, but I didn't find it that exciting unfortunately).

So here's the question; Which Final Fantasy game do you think is the best for a newcomer? I am very interested in the appearance of Final Fantasy VII (Remake), VIII, IX, X/ X-2, XII: The Zodiac Age and Crystal Chronicles: Remastered but I have no idea where to start and which of these games is the best for newcomers like me.

I've read on a few forums that Final Fantasy X/ X-2 are good games that are reasonably recommended for beginners but wanted to check this out. As mentioned before I did play FF XV once but I found it very disappointing despite the beautiful graphics and the fairly interesting yet long and confusing story. I don't want to make the mistake of buying a game like this again, putting a few hours into it and then throwing it off my Playstation.

(Sorry if a question like this doesn't belong here. I actually wanted to ask it on Reddit but the Final Fantasy subreddit is being extremely difficult with posting questions on the forum)

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 4

So out of the games you've named, FF8 & FF9 are the oldest ones and they originally were Ps1 games so they have fixed cameras and ATB combat (kinda turn-based combat). They are really good games (FF9 probably is my fav FF). FF10 is the first Ps2 FF game and many people say it's one of the best choices for a "First FF game". It can feel a bit old but especially with the remaster it looks beautiful at the same time. FF10 also has fixed cameras and turn-based combat. FF12 is the first one (of the singleplayer FFs) where you can move the camera. Personally I love FF12 but there are many people who don't, I guess you need to find it out by yourself whether you like it or not. FF7 Remake is an amazing game with modern action-combat and insane graphics. I think FF7R would be a really cool game for a first FF. I wouldn't start with Crystal Chronicles tbh, even though I liked it, but for me it's more like a side-game.

• Like 4

Every Final Fantasy has it's own contained story except the ones that had a 2 after the main title, like Final Fantasy X-2 is a sequel of Final Fantasy X or Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a sequel of Final Fantasy XIII. I never really enjoyed those sequels, but they're worth exploring.

I highly suggest to begin with Final Fantasy X, it is an absolute masterpiece, it is self contained so you don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy it. The story is just amazing. Being turn based will help newcomers since you can take your time deciding what is the best action to take against an enemy (and also you can easily take a break if you need to). The other games in the serie are not turn based and they're a bit more difficult because of that. The platinum is a bit of a chore though, you need to grind a lot.

Final Fantasy XV is a mess, you need to watch a movie and an anime before even starting the game, also, some chapters are tied to the DLCs so if you want to enjoy the story you need to go back and forth between the main game and the DLCs.

• Like 4

From my personal experience, Final Fantasy X has always been a great introduction into the Final Fantasy series as it structured around a turn-based system. The others you mentioned like FF7,8,9,X-2,12, and lastly FF7 Remake are based on an ATB (action turn-based) system where you have to retroactively react and think a few steps ahead to end each battle quickly; however, the latter can be said for FFX as with FFX you are given ample opportunity to end battles super quick or be easily killed due to the wrong choices. I cannot speak of FFXV as I have not played, but I do know it plays similar to the FF7 Remake. 

Sooooo, TL;DR - Final Fantasy X is not only a great (and underrated) game, it is also a great introduction to the series!

Edited by x410xDragon
  • Like 3

Honestly I would recommend starting with ffvii not the remake but the original then play the 2 classics that are actually awesome which are viii and ix

I personally have a love hate relationship with x/X2 they are the first to be utterly linear and kinda boring but pretty

12 is ok but I'd rather eat glass and also rub glass in my eyes it's a pretty game but not a good one they tried to do to much but badly

If u have ps3 u could do 13 saga(3 games) there good but confusing and don't make alot of sense

15 was great but basically a long adventurous bachelor party I loved it

Ff 7 remake should definitely be played AFTER you play the original cause it seems to really be a alt universe sequel not a remake (think multiverse with a bleeding in of the original cause the characters comment on remembering things a different way)

• Like 1

I started with FFX way back in the day and that's how I got into the series. Personally, I think FF7, FF9, and FF10 have the best stories by far. 12 is filled with political drama that's a bit convoluted and confusing so I would say any of those 3 before taking on 12.

I think FF7R is probably best if you want modern gaming + good story, but I actually like the original better.

• Like 2

Personally, I think the actual answer is either FFIV, or FFVI...

... however, on current Playstation consoles, I think maybe FFIX may be the best way to get a wholistic sense of the series for a first-timer?

That game is available on the PSN digital store, and is something of straddler between different FF eras:

It has the playability and sensibility of the PS One era games, is the last one of those and as such benefits from being quite forward-looking mechanically, yet it is also something of a harkening back to the 8-bit and 16-bit earlier Final Fantasy games in terms of the world design, lore and more 'high-fantasy' setting.

• Like 1

No way, Final Fantasy X has decent combat and great music, but the game is so boring, most of the locations look the same, mountainy beach looking areas and the puzzle temples get tedious and boring fast, and the trophies are tough and annoying too, some of them are anyway. Blitz Ball? More like Blitz Bore! I would not recommend Final Fantasy X at all, well not until you have at least played the others first.

Other than that I have only ever played 7, 8 and 9 and I can definitely recommend all of those.

9 and 10 are pretty limited in character customisation though, like one character is a summoner, one character is a warriors etc, but in 7 and 8 you're pick to pick and choose and the limit breakers are far more interesting and varied, at least in my opinion. One great thing about 9 is that you can have 4 characters in your party, most of the other games it is just 3.

• Like 1

This is an impossible question to answer.

There are many great games in this list, and some less great (but still good).  You could really start almost anywhere and find something you enjoy.  I recommend you read a synopsis of each game and find one that sounds the most interesting.  They are different enough that they each would provide their own experience.  Keep in mind that X and earlier are all completely turn based, while later games start to blur the line towards action. 

I have 3 recommendations

1 - Don't start with VIII.  While the game itself has grown on me since my childhood (when I started but never got all the way through it multiple times), I think the magic system is needlessly complicated.  I would not say it is bad, by any means, but it has a steeper learning curve than I expected.

2 - I would not recommend you start at the second or third game in a direct sequel.  I.E. FF X-2 before X, or XIII-2 or Lightning Returns before XIII.  Those are the ones that have a connected story, and would be confusing to play in the wrong order.

3 - Do not play VII-R before the original.  There will be so many nuances you would miss without knowing the background story first.

If you held a gun to my head and asked me which one you had to play first, I would say VII, but that comes with a heavy caveat as it was my first experience way back when with a FF game, and will always have a special place in my heart.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

Which Final Fantasy game do you think is the best for a newcomer?

For a newcomer, I'd say forget starting on the trophy-enabled titles and go find a way to play VI. It's been released in multiple locations and platforms since it's initial 1994 release. It's a great introduction to the series.

• Like 1

I might be biased, but FFX was my first FF game and an introduction to the series altogether. I always recommend it to others if they're interested in getting into Final Fantasy, it's easier to get into, doesn't require crazy synthesizing, good story, and the leveling system (Sphere Grid) is one of the better systems I've seen in a Final Fantasy game.

The good news is every Final Fantasy is its own thing. With the exception of reoccurring enemies, you can start with any entry without fear of missing out from the previous 15 entries. I'm surprised nobody has said VII yet, bias aside I think it is the best answer. If you like VII, then you will love the Remake, VIII & IX. A lot of FF fans say that IX is the best in the series. Assuming you don't care about the completion too much, then you have nothing to worry about. If you want the 100%, then IX will test your patience. I still haven't found the willpower to do IX.

I personally loved X, it is my second favorite. Highly recommend playing that one as well. X-2 is a great continuation of the story, but is lesser quality and the combat/tower is meh at best. Play it only if you REALLY liked the story of X (I did).

I did not like XII myself. Found it very boring and way too extreme in the management of ailments. The story was boring and the characters (minus Fran & Balthier) were very boring. Plus you can set the game up to play itself, which is also boring. I had zero nostalgia going into this game so as a first timer, I was very disappointed.

3 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Final Fantasy XIV online.

Try the Free version to get a feel.

Its going to be one crazy journey filled with laughter, tears and anger. And best of all youll find real friendship, companionship along the journey (maybe).

I don't like the monthly subscription model of FF XIV. Which is why I didn't list it in my 'wishlist' of FF games.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

10 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Ah, for some reason I completely skipped over you having a wishlist, haha. xD

If going by your list, I guess I would pick VII remake for a newcomer. Its going to be probably the easiest of all, with a great cinemantic story. And one of the most iconic games of all FF times. But playing 7 remake will be like paying a sub, you have to buy the remaining expansions or games to get the whole story, in the next 5yrs?(maybe less) At least for XIV when you the expansions, and pay sub, the content in between is free or comes with the sub. If that makes sense.

Though I personally enjoyed VIII the most. 

Not a problem! I kinda like XIV's style and everything but I just hate to pay a monthly subscription only to be able to play a game. PS plus is kinda the same but at least that gives us free games.

And thanks for your recommendations ?

I'd like to also point out that technically the actual "final" Final Fantasy game, is probably X-II because 12,14 is online and the game is quite different, 13 is a whole new type of battle system, and 15 and FF7 remake are more melee combat action games.

It's very difficult to say what is a true Final Fantasy game anymore because the genre and play style is slowly changing and that's even going into the shit smartphone versions.

I'd say 7, 8, 9 and 10 are the only true FF games now. (Of course that includes 1-6)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

10 is the best intro to the series but the plat is hard because of minigames. 7 or 12 is easier to plat and are also good for newcomers, personally I like 12 the best and it's not too bad of a start point if you look past the story that gets rushed towards the end. Another good thing about 12 is you don't have to deal with annoying minigame trophies.

Edited by xh117

XV is absolute trash. Can't blame you OP.

My first FF was X-2 which meant that even though I was confused on the historical emotional contexts for Yuna, I still enjoyed it. If I were to recommend a first, it would have to be VI, IX or XII (the definitive one).

• Like 1

Good question OP! I’ve long wondered this same thing… Final Fantasy is one of those massive, long running franchises that has a ton of fans and dozens of games to choose from, but there’s something really overwhelming and borderline intimidating about the FF series to me that has always seen me steer clear.

To begin with, the series appears to just be so quirky and weird that I have a hard time even getting a read on it and whether or not it would actually be something I could get into. I have had very little experience or interest in JRPGs which doesn’t help at all. I do really enjoy trying new things and genres, but from a trophy perspective most of these games also seem really complex and grindy, and just not very beginner friendly or accessible to someone like me.

I do have the FF7 remake from Ps+ which looks really cool and like a decent gateway to the series. The hack-n-slash style of the combat really looks appealing to me. Any opinions on this one as an entry point? I am pretty sure this will probably end up being my first FF game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I do have the FF7 remake from Ps+ which looks really cool and like a decent gateway to the series. The hack-n-slash style of the combat really looks appealing to me. Any opinions on this one as an entry point? I am pretty sure this will probably end up being my first FF game.

Go for it! Just know that the combat in this game is one of a kind, no other FF game has it except XV to a lesser extent. If you really enjoy the story, you can dip back into the original FF VII and get the rest of the story. I had a friend play Remake followed by the OG VII for the first time and loved the references and how well certain parts were remade.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If you don’t care about trophies and want an FF game with a some what classic feel, then FFIX (I hear the jump rope trophy is a bitch). If you don’t mind going a bit old school, FFVI and FFIV were great. There is a DS version of FFIV.