Do you read fan fictions of video games?

Eraezr

The ones I've read so far are from these fandom IPs--

Final Fantasy TYPE-0 HD

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Sen no Kiseki

Persona 5

Devil May Cry (I once saw a crossover of Dante meeting Alice from Alice: The Madness Returns)

Valkyria Chronicles

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Street Fighter

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Ace Attorney

World End Syndrome

Something I've noticed is that fandoms which tend to have a high/more balanced female:male ratio by the tally, tend to be more active. So even though GTA V has sold way more than all of the Yakuza series, the Yakuza fandom archive is more active for fan fiction.

Not really, I do not see the appeal in it most of the time. If I like a video game in terms of writing, then a fan fiction is like a sacrilege because it likely changes what the characters are all about so I would not really be immersed in it anyway. If the games writing is bad enough that I would be tempted to look for some amateurs writing it instead I'd rather just stop spending time on that game alltogether, or never get invested enough to begin with. For me to consider looking for fan fictions it would have to be a video game that once had a story and characters good enough to really get me invested and interested for more, but that then was turned into such a mess with a sequel that I refuse to even consider that sequel as a part of it, and I'd have to still be excited enough for any good continuation that I'd look for a fan fiction to scratch that itch. So far I have only considered trying that with one video game, The Last Of Us, which sadly never had an actual sequel, but I have already seen people discussing that many of these specific fan fiction seem to heavily go into a very different type of relationship between the two main characters when compared to the game, and that was when I buried the idea right away.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Just out of curiosity, why Witcher? There’s dozens of real, in continuity stories.

Believe me, I’m not like coming at ya or anything, just genuinely curious why you’d choose fanfic over the real thing.

You're right xD When TW3 came out, everyone I knew were reading the novels so my inner-hipster kinda made me less keen to check them out + compounded by the dickhead reputation which the author supposedly has so I lost interest completely for years.

For the better and worse, fan fics will take licences which canon may not so those stories have a better chance of reflecting the divergences which CDPR did and other optional romances.

35 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

I do read some fan fiction every now and then, mostly Mass Effect and Warcraft. Lots of the fan fiction you find online is absolute garbage but sometimes you happen to stumble upon something that's genuinely good.

Yeap, agree. Thankfully ao3's interface and peer recommendations has made finding the good ones easier. And the rarer instances when I do find good fanfics, I've come to find that these writers are far more talented than actual folks working in some AAA studios or other published novels.

53 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

So far I have only considered trying that with one video game, The Last Of Us, which sadly never had an actual sequel

When you say never had an actual sequel, do you really disregard Part II? Not criticising ya, just curious.

Edited by Eraezr

I used to both read and write fanfic. Writing Spyro the Dragon fanfic back in 2001 was how I got started on the path to becoming a published fiction writer. I lost interest in fanfic as an adult, but video games heavily inspire my original writing - especially big RPGs and Koei Tecmo's various Warriors games. 

Edited by Vrisnem
  • Like 1

I've been reading and writing fanfiction for a long time, and my main fandoms at the moment are Dead by Daylight, The Evil Within, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft. I write original stuff, too, but fanfiction is where my love for writing started. I love exploring the characters and what-if scenarios. And, of course, shipping.

Fanfiction has a lot of weird, questionably legal, and poor-quality stuff, especially on AO3, but there are also many hidden gems in the garbage. I love stumbling upon them and binge-reading for hours.

Edited by Monochrome

On 19/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, ladynadiad said:

Used to and also used to write some.  Now I don't really seek it out but if a friend posts one for a game I enjoyed I'll read it and let them know what I think.

Now fanart?  I do actually go look for that and follow some artists on twitter.

I used to do that but the recent policy changes on Twitter prompted me to delete my account. Now I source majority of my fan art through Discord and Vero.