Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed (Oct. 18, 2022)

Update:

Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed is an upcoming 4 vs 1 asymmetrical multiplayer title from IllFonic that will see players teaming up with fellow new recruits as they set out to trap ghosts in locations like museums, prisons, hotels, and more. You'll have to use PKE Meters, Proton Packs, and Ghost Traps in order to find the ghosts and trap them before the haunting gets out of hand. Alternatively, players can control the ghost, which can fly and teleport, possess objects, and summon minions to help. Those who wish to play alone will be able to fill the empty character slots with bots to play offline. It is coming to PS4 and PS5. No release date has been given but it is aiming for a Q4 ‘22 release.

Original:

It appears that a new Ghostbusters game is being developed by Illfonic.

From Ghostbustersnews:

The news broke after the co-founder of Illfonic, Raphael Saadiq, was a special guest on the Questlove Supreme podcast, letting it slip that he was “currently working on Ghostbusters.”

This past weekend at the Celebrity Fan Fest in San Antonio, Texas, Ghostbusters star Ernie Hudson was a special guest. Attractions included a variety of Ghostbusters-themed happenings, such as an Afterlife screening and a Q&A, which unexpectedly gave us a bit more insight into the upcoming video game.

When asked if he would take part in another Ghostbusters video game, Hudson said:

I just got an e-mail, because we’re doing another video game. They’re scheduling it now to do the recording, and I’m not too sure who going to do it, I know me and Danny (Dan Aykroyd), I think. I’m not sure about Billy (Bill Murray) will do anything on it. So, there will be another video game.” Hudson added, “When they’ll bring it out, I don’t know, but it’s definitely happening.”

Hudson also talked about the approval process of his likeness, saying:

They’ve been sending me prototypes of the character to get the image right, which they seem to have a hard time somehow creating my image. It’s so weird to me that they can get Bill Murray, and Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis to look exactly like they look, but I end up looking like Eddie Murphy or somebody.”

When it comes to any further details surrounding the game, Hudson admitted that aside from his involvement, he doesn’t know much about the storyline or plot.

Holy smokes, a new Ghostbusters game would definitely be welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed Afterlife and have a lot of the Ghostbusters video games. A new game for the new consoles could be amazing as it looks like they’re doing it right by getting the original actors.

Edited by NMErickson
Release date in title
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Was excited til I saw that the developer has only done multiplayer games, all of which have negative to middling reviews. I'm guessing the best we can hope for is co-op similar to Aliens: Firestorm Elite or Outriders.

That’s true. I did enjoy the Friday the 13th game though despite it being mp only at first. This seems like it could be their biggest undertaking yet and I just hope they don’t squander the opportunity by making it mindless mp and instead understand what the fans want.

I always start as an optimistic, glass half full guy.

Edited by NMErickson
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I hope they don't add mp trophies if the game does have mp..

I guarantee Illfonic will make it a multiplayer game, that's their whole angle. Luckily, I like their titles so far, so I'm looking forward to more information.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

This seems like it could be their biggest undertaking yet and I just hope they don’t squander the opportunity by making it mindless mp and instead understand what the fans want.

I always start as an optimistic, glass half full guy.

I hope so too, and I think it's good to have an optimistic outlook. I'll try it myself in this case, but cautiously. This industry is making it harder & harder to be that way though. :(

It's cool that at least Hudson & Aykroyd will be it, hopefully as main characters.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I guarantee Illfonic will make it a multiplayer game, that's their whole angle. Luckily, I like their titles so far, so I'm looking forward to more information.

Lol great.. 

Last Ghostbusters game traumatized the shit out of me.. Spent so many hours on a broken mp.. I did the requirements for the trophies more than 10 times. I kept on doing it, but then they closed the servers.. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Was excited til I saw that the developer has only done multiplayer games, all of which have negative to middling reviews. I'm guessing the best we can hope for is co-op similar to Aliens: Firestorm Elite or Outriders.

This^

This game is a hard pass for me as along as Illfonic are involved with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Lol great.. 

Last Ghostbusters game traumatized the shit out of me.. Spent so many hours on a broken mp.. I did the requirements for the trophies more than 10 times. I kept on doing it, but then they closed the servers.. 

I hear you. I was pleased when they didn’t bring those mp trophies back for the remastered PS4 version.

For the Illfonics game, I could either see it being a four player co-op PVE type game or an asymmetrical 4 vs 1 like Friday the 13th or Predator Hunting Grounds. Small chance for single player only but maybe there will be a mode. There’s no telling but it’s fun to speculate.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:24 PM, dakk55 said:

I just don't see the point of playing a game that would be solely multiplayer.

Because I don't have to worry about the immersive experience being ruined by having to go do other things. Basically time dedication thing. Multiplayer matches can last anywhere from five to thirty minutes. Eat a meal, play one match and then go to work. Can also freely quit out whenever you want without having to worry about losing hours of progress. In some singleplayer games it can be hours before you hit a save point. Spent over two hours racking up gear in Returnal when it launched just to realize it was 4AM and I had to shut everything down.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

Ugh, what a waste of an IP. 

Although, I never could get the hang of the PS3 game, either, so I guess...I just suck? I don't know. But I won't bother with a MP only game, ever.

It’s not a single player story but you could technically play this offline with bots. I just hope trophies unlock and can save character progress there. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

3 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Lol any of yall getting PTSD flashbacks of the PS3 game and how much time you spent on trying to finish the mp trophies, but the mp was completely broken.. unless you did it right when the game came out and got lucky.

I personally enjoyed the original PS3 Ghostbusters and had a blast playing with my friends. Even though I didn't start until a year after release, I had no real issues obtaining all trophies (and neither did anyone else in my group). It only took two weeks for everyone to get the multiplayer finished, so it's not like it was a huge pain in the ass like lots of people make it seem.

I completely forgot this was announced originally back in December. Saw the trailer, super low expectations.

inb4people start complaining about too many 4v1 type ga-

20 hours ago, dakk55 said:

69nhrr.jpg

Too late.

How many even exist (or coming soon) on current PlayStation's, like eight?

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 4:02 AM, Helyx said:

I personally enjoyed the original PS3 Ghostbusters and had a blast playing with my friends. Even though I didn't start until a year after release, I had no real issues obtaining all trophies (and neither did anyone else in my group). It only took two weeks for everyone to get the multiplayer finished, so it's not like it was a huge pain in the ass like lots of people make it seem.

Same here.  I have very fond memories of playing the Ghostbusters MP with a few friends, where we all helped each other get our trophies.  A couple of my trophies were late in popping, resulting in a bit more playtime than should have been required, but as I found it so enjoyable, that really wasn't an issue.

I must be one of the few who was actually disappointed that the PS4 remaster didn't bring back the MP - I was really looking forward to playing it again.

• Like 1