Sony Reveals its Streaming Service: PlayStation Now

UndreyVITA

Today at CES, Sony revealed PlayStation Now, an all-new games streaming service that will allow PlayStation games to be played across various PlayStation hardware and directly on other non-gaming platforms. PlayStation Now harnesses the power of Gaikai, the company Sony purchased for $380 back in the summer of 2012.

The idea behind PlayStation Now is simple: you will no longer need to keep a PSone, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation 3 around to experience games from those consoles. PlayStation Now will allow streaming of classics from those systems to not only PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, but to televisions, tablets, and smartphones.

0107140942a-610x343.jpg

For launch, the games available will be limited, but Sony's Andrew House did confirm that Naughty Dog's The Last of Us will be among the titles available to play without a PlayStation 3.

We're awaiting further details about PlayStation Now, but in the meantime, expect a closed beta for the service to begin later this month, with full service rolling out to PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and other electronic devices this summer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/sony-reveals-its-streaming-service-playstation-now

Not sure where to post this so I posted it here. Will update.

Edited by UndreyVITA

That is fucking awesome, I can't wait. 

I wonder though, if you play The Last of Us on PS4 having never played the game on PS3, will you earn trophies? 

Parker

For me to find this worthwhile id need trophy support on ps3 games. But i still have my consoles and games so i can just hook up ps2 and be fine...

But the thing is, even the playstation store doesn't have some "classics" I wanted to play.

So unless they add every game they possibly can from every generation, it won't be that much of a "hit" for me. Though, it still is pretty amazing.

Trophy support with games like dark cloud and the original spyro trilogy would be da bomb!

That'd be absolutely amazing!

Edited by kitkatkita
  • Like 1

Oh god now i'm excited! Trophy support with games like dark cloud and the original spyro trilogy would be da bomb!

I do believe he means trophy support for the games that originally included it, so don't get excited for PS1 or PS2 games getting trophy support, as awesome as that would be. 

Parker

• Like 1

I do believe he means trophy support for the games that originally included it, so don't get excited for PS1 or PS2 games getting trophy support, as awesome as that would be. 

Parker

Very true, however Sony also holds a patent on technology to add aditional content to online games, this could be used for dlc with extra lvls or the addition of trophies. I'll try to find the article that spoke of this.

Edited by ImmigrantWithGun
  • Like 1

Very true, however Sony also holds a patent on technology to add aditional content to online games, this could be used for dlc with extra lvls or the addition of trophies. I'll try to find the article that spoke of this.

I do recall seeing that on IGN but companies patent a lot of things that never see the light of day. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see trophies for PlayStation Classics but I doubt it will be done. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Parker

$380 is the best deal Sony ever got in it's history. Even the word of mouth has generated enough sales to offset that piddly amount of money. Feel sorry for the guys who sold it though, probably thought it was the best deal they could get...

You know it's actually $380 Million, right?

This service sounds pretty dope although I'm not clear still on how it actually works. How am I able to play ps3 games on ps4,This will be like a subscription service like netflix but for games? I guess it's that which is cool but at the same time it would still be nice to be able to play games that you actually already own on ps3 on your ps4 but I'm thinking that's not exactly the case here. 

Edited by lporiginalg

Was going to mention this. And i seem to remember Sony working on a way to retro fit old games with trophies.

Hmm, still got to get used to this new concept. Normally i like to buy the Retail game, but with this i can wait till this works on a ps4, and i don't have to buy a title as "the last of us" on the ps3 now. Assuming streaming it will have the same characteristics as the disc version. By that i mean controls, graphics and trophies. Still a weird idea the game will not be in your collection as disc, or on your hdd as psn version. I had to get used to save favourites in youtube either but now its perfectly normal to use that instead of owning music on disc...so i guess its the future...

This looks pretty amazing, but my (shitty) internet connection most likely won't keep up to it.....anyway, I'm curious about the possibility of PS2 and PSOne games having trophies, I know it's not clearly said, but it might happen and it would be cool. 

Besides The Last of Us being available at launch, it was also announced that Beyond: Two Souls will also be available from day one, which is pretty exciting ^^

Another important aspect is the price......guess we'll have to wait for that, but I hope they don't ruin it all overpricing it.

Parker

From what I understand, trophies can be added programmatically into the data feed when certain in-game events occur, meaning they can be added to PS1, PS2 and PS3 games without the need to alter the game code. That means ALL PS games, past and future, can have trophies. That's yet to be confirmed, but sounds feasible.

Ok, Why don't they just replace PS+ with PS Now and give online access and discounts for those who buy this service? I'd rather dish out $50 a year on a large, vast library of PSone, PS2, and PS3 games that continually expands than the 5 games a month that I either already own or aren't interested in (even though this month is pretty kick-ass with DMC and Bioshock Inf.).