Warning - Highly missable trophy - It's all in the Writing

Crispy_Oglop

Quick heads up that despite what the guides and walkthroughs say, the collectible trophy - It's all in the Writing - is absolutely missable. There are a number of notes etc which only spawn during side missions and as such, if you don't collect them, you will be locked out of getting them again. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that notes this in the guides i've written, so keep it in mind when going for them. The only alternative, is to start a NG+ and grind out the story until you get to the spot you need to be at.

18 hours ago, kkulifay said:

I’m currently working on this plat and almost done with the side missions. I will be so bummed if I missed any notes along the way. Reminds me when I missed a bobble head in Fallout 3 during the main quest!

Yeah, basically there are some notes that only pop during side missions and are only there for a short period of time. So my best advice is to have a look at a guide like the Powerpyx one and see any note connected to a side mission. It's likely they will be missable if you don't pick them up while you are doing them. There are at least 4 or 5 notes that are relevant.

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah, basically there are some notes that only pop during side missions and are only there for a short period of time. So my best advice is to have a look at a guide like the Powerpyx one and see any note connected to a side mission. It's likely they will be missable if you don't pick them up while you are doing them. There are at least 4 or 5 notes that are relevant.

I haven’t beat the story yet, but can’t you play the side missions again, then just pick them off that way?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I dont remember this trophy being missable… 1f914.png

I had real trouble with it, I really should have used a guide and picked things up relatively chronologically. There are enough out there now. A couple of examples which tripped me up, both of which seem to be related to the area where the notes are being turned into safe houses after you leave the area or complete the associated quest.

Notes 24 & 25

Spoiler

Both associated with a side mission called Total Security in the Slums, where you have to investigate the fate of a survivor group trapped on a roof by some electrified climbing scaffolding. Once you de-power the scaffolding and head up there - these two notes will be available for pick-up. But, if you leave the area without picking one or both up, the roof is converted into a safe house and the remaining note(s) + anything related to that mission de-spawns. I tried going up to the roof with the hookshot before I turned the power to the scaffolding off and the roof is completely bare too. So these are only available for the time you spend on the roof after switching the power off.

Notes 31 & 32

Spoiler

Both will only spawn when you get the Legless Spider quest to appear in Old Town (someone will message you over your earpiece and say they saw red smoke - and you'll get the quest in your log). Once you find the injured runner that is part of the quest there is a collectible near him and one on a lower rooftop right next to him. If you leave that area or complete the associated quest (I wasn't able to test that out), it will become a safe house, despawning both notes and the runner. Weirdly, if you to the same location before the Legless Spider quest pops, you can find one of the notes on the lower rooftop, but the other one will only spawn when the quest and the NPC are on the roof.

I think the issue is how the game handles events and updated world environments. I'm not sure how it works from a scripting/engine point of view, but if you look at Total Security, it seems to operate on a trigger system. So in that case, if you head up to the roof with the hookshot before completing the requirement to turn the scaffolding electricity off, the roof is empty. But once you flip that last switch, it spawns bodies, notes and various world items relevant to the quest on that same roof. Similarly, when you leave that area it despawns all those bodies and world items, turns the roof into a proper safe house and spawns in a vendor etc. The trouble is, it seems to register those two notes as part of that mission and they spawn/despawn with everything else.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

I did this trophy after completing the main story and there were no missing notes for me or the 3 others I made my way through the game with. If any were inside buildings, I could still get inside the building to grab the note. I never had a note disappear because of a safe house either.

• Like 2

Just now, Malachen said:

I did this trophy after completing the main story and there were no missing notes for me or the 3 others I made my way through the game with. If any were inside buildings, I could still get inside the building to grab the note. I never had a note disappear because of a safe house either.

The main story doesn't really have anything to do with the notes I mentioned :) The side missions are the issues really. There are plenty of notes you can pick up after the main story, the majority of them in fact. Those 4 I mentioned above were only available during the side missions that spawn them.

11 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

The main story doesn't really have anything to do with the notes I mentioned :) The side missions are the issues really. There are plenty of notes you can pick up after the main story, the majority of them in fact. Those 4 I mentioned above were only available during the side missions that spawn them.

Sorry I meant I didn't do this trophy until after I had completed every mission. We did the majority of the side missions before finishing the main story.

4 minutes ago, Malachen said:

Sorry I meant I didn't do this trophy until after I had completed every mission. We did the majority of the side missions before finishing the main story.

Were you able to go back to the roof and pick up notes 24 and 25 after it wrapped up and became a safe house? The pillow note 25 is under vanishes once it's converted. Same with the 31 & 32, were you able to go back and get both notes from the roof after legless spider was completed?

53 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Were you able to go back to the roof and pick up notes 24 and 25 after it wrapped up and became a safe house? The pillow note 25 is under vanishes once it's converted. Same with the 31 & 32, were you able to go back and get both notes from the roof after legless spider was completed?

As I said, I went and collected all the notes AFTER doing the side missions and main missions so I'm not sure how I got them but I got them. I also just followed a map so wasn't really paying attention to what note was where.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malachen said:

As I said, I went and collected all the notes AFTER doing the side missions and main missions so I'm not sure how I got them but I got them. I also just followed a map so wasn't really paying attention to what note was where.

Huh, weird. I guess it's bugged for some but not for others then. If you look through some of the comments on the video collectibles guides you'll see a few people mentioning notes not appearing at the right time. So I'm assuming I was just one of the unlucky ones. Probably better to be safe and collect them during the missions they spawn in though.

1 hour ago, Malachen said:

Same here. Picked up a few here and there but I got the majority AFTER I did all missions with the help of a map.

Cool thanks for the info. I'm still going to leave this post up as is. Like I said it affected me, with testing to confirm and a few others have reported it as glitched in other corners of the internet. So i'll keep the post up and continue to cite it as missable. Even if it doesn't affect everyone. Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah a few weeks ago, last few trophies i had, one was collectibles, I had practically finished all the side missions before I watched the PowerPyx guide of where to find them all, I don't remember any being missable. Well, I got them all anyway.

• Like 1