GTA V Servers Closed on Dec 16, 2021

The_Mighty_Ducks

Just found out today that the servers closed on the 16th from Mystic.. 

I was working on this, on my other account and took a break from it... lol...

Even if the servers weren't closed, was 100% still obtainable? 

I really hate Rockstar for making on-line trophies, especially if you're just going to let hackers walk all over you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Yeah, a game that has millions of people playing online shouldn't have online trophies. 

I don't even like GTA, but I can see that a lot of people enjoy the online mode. Some people basically only play the online mode. It makes no sense to not include trophies for it.

I played the online mode only and the SP just for trophies.

26 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Yeah, a game that has millions of people playing online shouldn't have online trophies.

I don't even like GTA, but I can see that a lot of people enjoy the online mode. Some people basically only play the online mode. It makes no sense to not include trophies for it.

Agreed, but it's also the 'type' of trophies. GTA is one example that forces you to spend hundreds/thousands of hours (or $$$ ?) grinding away at pointless milestones.
This is also true with the trophy system in the SP part, gold medals without a decent replay/restart system, long, tedious mission run-ups etc. Or the out-of-the-way challenges and 100% things.
I still hold a grudge over that bullshit nuclear waste collection.

MP trophies can include you trying out game modes, scoring a win, reaching a rank, purchasing something straightforward or attainable, customizing your character or car and generally if you complete that you'll either want to keep playing and grinding it out or you won't and you'll stop.

In other games this pulls the question of server shutdowns and also significantly relies on the game MP aspect being anywhere near popular as what the developers imagine (or certain modes). I won't drop an excellent SP game for a trashy MP add-on that will 'cost' me the platinum otherwise but they are really not appreciated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Even if the servers weren't closed, was 100% still obtainable? 

Not if you didn't already have Run Like the Wind, which has been unobtainable since 2014 Corrected below: 2017. Otherwise yes, if you could manage to dodge joining a discord to ask modders to pop your trophies being thrown into modded lobbies.

The announcement was in June, so 6 months before the shutdown: https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51989315o2aa3a/gta-online-for-playstation-3-and-xbox-360-will-shut-down-on-december-1 Amazing that you have been able to miss all the conversations about the shutdown here since.

Edited by DaivRules

7 minutes ago, DeathNyx said:

And i fear one day will be PS4 turn...

I just don't like that i must stop to play a game just because devs say so. They should allow the game to be playable even after server closure.

Don't worry because they will milk this game for generations to come.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Not if you didn't already have Run Like the Wind, which has been unobtainable since 2014. Otherwise yes, if you could manage to dodge joining a discord to ask modders to pop your trophies being thrown into modded lobbies.

The announcement was in June, so 6 months before the shutdown: https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51989315o2aa3a/gta-online-for-playstation-3-and-xbox-360-will-shut-down-on-december-1 Amazing that you have been able to miss all the conversations about the shutdown here since.

It was unobtainable since April 2017, not 2014. However I'll say to the PS3 version of GTA V good riddance, eventually we'll stop seeing disputes from people who had their rank modded for them because that modding isn't possible to do anymore and that'll be a good day. Unlike other games, this game has a PS4 version that is ahead of the PS3 version by 6 years in updates and it has an upcoming PS5 version that will have more content coming to it for at least 5 more years. It's time for people to move on from the PS3 version and try to invest in the newer versions. 

• Like 1

honestly, sometimes I can't understand my fellow hobbyists. it makes absolutely no sense to restrict online trophies in games that have an active online mode. if you're of the opinion that maybe multiplayer trophies should be separated from SP/platinum trophies then I can agree, but demanding that games like GTA V don't support online trophies sounds like a child's tantrum, that's because it doesn't make any sense for you at position of someone who hunts trophies requires something like that. the trophies are there, and there are people who like to hunt and enjoy it. if you don't like it then just stop hunting, simple. what sustains our hobby is primarily gaming, and some people seem to forget about that. smh...

3 hours ago, ryanofx92 said:

Nor does Grand Theft Auto.

seriously dude, if trophy hunting for you is a torment then just stop.

1 hour ago, kevao97 said:

it makes absolutely no sense to restrict online trophies in games that have an active online mode. 

I should have been more clear about what I meant. I don't mind online trophies as long as the publisher maintains the server and fixes it when it needs to be fixed. If they have no intention on doing that.. then don't add mp trophies.. 

17 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I should have been more clear about what I meant. I don't mind online trophies as long as the publisher maintains the server and fixes it when it needs to be fixed. If they have no intention on doing that.. then don't add mp trophies.. 

the game stopped updating about 6 years ago, and has been supported to stay online for 8 years. all things end one day, let's be realistic and understand that there is no reason to keep running a precarious service like gta online ps3 was. the console can't even be updated anymore, so even if rockstar wanted to do something there would be no chance of it happening because Sony itself ended the updates on the Playstation 3. We're talking about a 2006-7 console, and a 2013 game that is being updated until today in the new generations where the main audience is.

i don't understand enough about what happened with gta iv and other games, but i don't think it would be possible to turn gta online into something like gta iv. gta online has a much more complex structure, level system and overall dynamism of the game it just can't be made to work that way. the gta iv multiplayer is very simple, simple game modes and very arcade level system. the leaderboards were closed but the game kept storing your progress in the local file. this could not happen with gta online i believe.

i know you're frustrated that you missed the chance to win some trophies, but gta online was begging to be shut down at this point where cheaters dominated the game and did what they wanted. rockstar even tried to remove the bounty system as a measure to prevent the proliferation of cheaters, but that didn't help as this issue was always much more complex than rockstar could handle.

i played gta online on Playstation 3 from 2013 to 2016 and there was nothing more that could be done, this game lasted a long time and had its deserved end now.

Online trophies are always a no no for me. Personally online ruins it. Very boring and not enjoyable. If they want online trophies, either keep them away from platinum or have it like Mass Effect 3. Reach level 50 online or complete the main campaign twice. That way, if you don't want to play online, at least the offline option is avaliable and allows you to get platinum without having to worry about wasting 2million hours playing online or without having the servers turned off in the future.

6 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I never mentioned trophies. GTA Online itself shouldn't exist because it's total garbage.

2 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Trophies- Subjective. Some like online modes/some don't.

But to say that GTA shouldn't have an online mode in general is pretty bad. Rockstar would have probably went under eventually. Casuals typically don't buy single player stuff.

You think Rockstar would've gone under without GTA Online? ?‍♂️ That is one of the most laughable things anyone has ever said.

Without GTA Online, there would've been several more GTA and RDR games released over the last decade which could only have been a good thing. Also, Rockstar would have a bit less cash burning holes in its gargantuan pockets but would obviously still be mega rich. Those are the only things that would be different.

3 hours ago, kevao97 said:

seriously dude, if trophy hunting for you is a torment then just stop.

Again, I never mentioned trophies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

GTA Online itself shouldn't exist because it's total garbage.

8 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

That is one of the most laughable things anyone has ever said.

I make your own answer mine. It's extremely laughable that you want online games not to exist simply because you don't like them.

5 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

I make your own answer mine. It's extremely laughable that you want online games not to exist simply because you don't like them.

Riiiight but it is a bit bizarre since this has nothing to do with the two comments between us.

Either way, yes. I do want shit things not to exist. Nobody actually likes GTA Online. The only people who "like" GTA Online are the sorts who like what they're told to like — they also listen to rap/pop music and believe the MCU is the height of cinema. Take GTA Online away, and those same people will find some other horribly shit way to waste their time. Nothing changes... Except people who aren't completely worthless would get more good things like more actual GTA games.

20 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

Riiiight but it is a bit bizarre since this has nothing to do with the two comments between us.

Either way, yes. I do want shit things not to exist. Nobody actually likes GTA Online. The only people who "like" GTA Online are the sorts who like what they're told to like — they also listen to rap/pop music and believe the MCU is the height of cinema. Take GTA Online away, and those same people will find some other horribly shit way to waste their time. Nothing changes... Except people who aren't completely worthless would get more good things like more actual GTA games.

Jesus, I can feel resentment and bitterness in every word of yours. not worth proceeding this convo.

2 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

I do, in fact, resent the morons who waste their time and money on GTA Online and, in turn, deprive the rest of us of great games.

You're so bitter, you're concerned how other people enjoy their free time which may be limited lmao, don't think anyone here has ever stated resentment for you not leaving your mother's basement have they lol