XxDeione3xX

WipeOut HD Custom Server Online

57 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, B1rvine said:

The open source requirement is about ensuring equal availability to everyone. Closed source servers are always controlled by someone, which can lead to blocking people, setting up private access to trophies, and other problematic issues.

I propose to drop the open source versus closed source terminology. You do not need a server executable to be open source to have it at your disposal and run a server yourself. The only problem is to know for sure that the executable can be trusted (in this case, no undocumented features to have it rain free trophies).

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

8 hours ago, Helyx said:

Dear PSONE,

Stop gatekeeping your revived servers and openly share them with the community.

Sincerely,

Everyone

What the hell?!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’m huge thanks to PSOne team for revived motorstorm online! My favourite game!

if you don’t like it, don’t join then 

And why flag this?! What about ps vita stack games by email trick? Is it allowed?!! I did tried it but I find it difficult and I couldn’t do it. Join PSOne server isn’t that hard and everybody can do this. No need modded PS3. PSOne server is running like normal psn server, no cheat. 

Edited by Richtoon

6 hours ago, B1rvine said:

No, since it requires a CFW console.

So if some brave soul forked it and managed to somehow make it work without cfw then it would be approved right?

2 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

The only problem is to know for sure that the executable can be trusted (in this case, no undocumented features to have it rain free trophies).

That's literally the point of the open vs. closed discussion. If you can't review the code no one can know for certain those features aren't buried in there somewhere. Until the community can view the code to make sure there's no illigitimate trophy popping functionality, it'll stay prohibited.

Again, no one is saying you're not allowed to play on them, but if you earn trophies on illigitimate servers that can't be 100% verified and trusted you run the risk of getting flagged. It's your profile and your choice. 

Good news for those that never had the chance to play the game online and also good for those who want a nostalgia trip. :)

On 24/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, B1rvine said:

Anyone using unofficial / unapproved custom servers will be flagged. 

I have a couple of questions out of honest curiosity. Why can't closed sourced servers be allowed for earning trophies under the pretense that any user who earns trophies from it MUST provide video evidence of earning these trophies under legitimate conditions? And also why wouldn't it be enough for a staff member to play on the servers and confirm/approve that the server does not help cheat any trophies?

29 minutes ago, PlatinumTrophy said:

I have a couple of questions out of honest curiosity. Why can't closed sourced servers be allowed for earning trophies under the pretense that any user who earns trophies from it MUST provide video evidence of earning these trophies under legitimate conditions? And also why wouldn't it be enough for a staff member to play on the servers and confirm/approve that the server does not help cheat any trophies?

A recording of trophies being earned wouldn’t prove that there was no nefarious code triggering trophies, especially in these instances where some people put together custom servers already, also it puts a huge burden on the Cheater Removers to then be subject to watching untold hours of video potentially. 

A Cheater Remover playing on a custom server also gives no indication of knowing whether or not it’s possible for the custom server to unlock trophies on command. The only way to know that is to see the source code. 

1 hour ago, PlatinumTrophy said:

Why can't closed sourced servers be allowed for earning trophies?

Sly Ripper said so, that's why. The reasons have been discussed countless times, in this thread for example.

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

A Cheater Remover playing on a custom server also gives no indication of knowing whether or not it’s possible for the custom server to unlock trophies on command. The only way to know that is to see the source code. 

For the 100th time: you don't know what is happening on the server, just because you can see some code. Why is it so hard to understand? 

If someone serves me a chocolate cake to eat, and also shows me a recipe, it doesn't mean that I can be sure that all those ingredients have been used and nothing else.

Saying that only open source servers are allowed based on those false arguments, is completely ridiculous. 

If the goal is full integrity, PSNProfiles will have to host the servers themselves instead. 

2 hours ago, janzor88 said:

For the 100th time: you don't know what is happening on the server, just because you can see some code. Why is it so hard to understand? 

If someone serves me a chocolate cake to eat, and also shows me a recipe, it doesn't mean that I can be sure that all those ingredients have been used and nothing else.

Saying that only open source servers are allowed based on those false arguments, is completely ridiculous. 

If the goal is full integrity, PSNProfiles will have to host the servers themselves instead. 

I’m well aware you need to both see the source code, actually read it, AND run it to see if it functions properly. Doesn’t change the argument if you can’t see the source code, you can’t tell what else it can do. No need to get overly meticulous when their are implied premises. 

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I’m well aware you need to both see the source code, actually read it, AND run it to see if it functions properly. Doesn’t change the argument if you can’t see the source code, you can’t tell what else it can do. No need to get overly meticulous when their are implied premises. 

You still don't understand it.

You can't see what code is run, like you can't see all ingredients in a cake.

If you want to verify integrity, you/PSNProfiles have to host the server yourselves after reading thousands of lines of code, and being able to spot your "malicious" functions.

Even if they are not there, adding more code to a server environment is easily done and you won't know that it's added.

6 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

You can't see what code is run, like you can't see all ingredients in a cake.

If you want to verify integrity, you/PSNProfiles have to host the server yourselves after reading thousands of lines of code, and being able to spot your "malicious" functions.

Even if they are not there, adding more code to a server environment is easily done and you won't know that it's added.

I am a software developer for a profession. I understand it.

You claim has already been explained. An open source version has to exist (including reviewing and running said code to see if the trophies can be unlocked as intended by the developers), for it to be approved for the Cheater Removers. Once any nefarious code/functions have been identified in any of the previously approved Open Source fan servers, the blessing will be removed from the Cheater Removers and those games will not be approved for earning trophies on the leaderboard any longer.

13 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

What you don't understand is Sly Ripper, the admin, owner and creator of this site, has decided that closed source servers are an illegitimate way to earn trophies. That's literally all the information you need. His decision is final, and any arguments that are not gonna change his mind are futile.

You can absolutely still use those servers to earn trophies in games, but to be expected to be allowed to remain on the leaderboards here while displaying them, especially after knowing what the decision is on them, is unreasonable.

Sly can make whatever rules and regulations he desires as it is 100% his site and not affiliated with Sony or PlayStation in any way, and while you don't have to like or agree with those rules, you definitely and unquestionably have to abide by them.

35 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

What you don't understand is Sly Ripper, the admin, owner and creator of this site, has decided that closed source servers are an illegitimate way to earn trophies. That's literally all the information you need. His decision is final, and any arguments that are not gonna change his mind are futile.

You can absolutely still use those servers to earn trophies in games, but to be expected to be allowed to remain on the leaderboards here while displaying them, especially after knowing what the decision is on them, is unreasonable.

Sly can make whatever rules and regulations he desires as it is 100% his site and not affiliated with Sony or PlayStation in any way, and while you don't have to like or agree with those rules, you definitely and unquestionably have to abide by them.

What you don't understand is that I don't care whether it's allowed or not allowed, as it does not concern me since I don't play games with closed servers.
I am questioning the failed logic that open source = we know everything about the server.
Closed or open source doesn't matter, as long as you are not running the code yourself.

45 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I am a software developer for a profession. I understand it.

You claim has already been explained. An open source version has to exist (including reviewing and running said code to see if the trophies can be unlocked as intended by the developers), for it to be approved for the Cheater Removers. Once any nefarious code/functions have been identified in any of the previously approved Open Source fan servers, the blessing will be removed from the Cheater Removers and those games will not be approved for earning trophies on the leaderboard any longer.

No, you clearly still don't understand anything.

Let's say I'm PSOne, and that I now make 99% of the code open source.
I launch a server with the remaining code inserted, which gives me privileges to hand out trophies to certain players on the server.

How can you detect what is happening backend? You can't.

Just now, janzor88 said:

No, you clearly still don't understand anything.

Let's say I'm PSOne, and that I now make 99% of the code open source.
I launch a server with the remaining code inserted, which gives me privileges to hand out trophies to certain players on the server.

How can you detect what is happening backend? You can't.

You don't need to start all of your responses being so juvenile.

If PSOne released an open source version of their custom server, the first step would be to run it and test if it works. If it works as intended, it meets only one criteria and doesn't get a free pass infinitely as you're implying.

It would then be up to the users, using the server. If a user makes a claim and provides evidence that the server functions in some way that violates the leaderboard, the fact that it's open source doesn't mean it's still be approved. That game would no longer be leaderboard eligible for custom servers and it's possible all the achievers using custom servers could be flagged.

No one said simply playing on a open source server means you can see and verify what code is running on that server. You have to run it yourself to know that. You're making an argument against no one and pointing out something that is already accounted for.

So does this mean I should play WipEout HD and boost trophies with people or not?

What would be the pros and cons? I’m not interested in rankings just 100%ing games if possible. 

16 minutes ago, crouchingotter said:

1) So does this mean I should play WipEout HD and boost trophies with people or not?

What would be the pros and cons? 2) I’m not interested in rankings just 100%ing games if possible. 

1) No. Since this "fan-made" server is not "approved" by PSNP staff, you will be flagged for earning online trophies.

2) But since you do not care about position in the leaderboards - feel free to go for it.

Edited by Smashero

55 minutes ago, Smashero said:

1) No. Since this "fan-made" server is not "approved" by PSNP staff, you will be flagged for earning online trophies.

2) But since you do not care about position in the leaderboards - feel free to go for it.

What is the effect of getting flagged? Does it just remove those trophies from

contributing to your overall rank?

3 minutes ago, crouchingotter said:

What is the effect of getting flagged? Does it just remove those trophies from

contributing to your overall rank?

It removes you from all leaderboards, such as the main leaderboard and individual game leaderboards such as the fastest achiever one.

You can hide up to 2 flagged games to reappear on those leaderboards, but 3 or more games being flagged will remove you permanently.

Edited by Stevieboy

28 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

It removes you from all leaderboards, such as the main leaderboard and individual game leaderboards such as the fastest achiever one.

You can hide up to 2 flagged games to reappear on those leaderboards, but 3 or more games being flagged will remove you permanently.

What happens if you get auto-flagged for CFW usage?

Just now, HuntingFever said:

What happens if you get auto-flagged for CFW usage?

If the profile isn't completely removed, then the same 3 flags rule applies. I think generally the removal only really happens if a profile is found to have future timestamps.

37 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Thanks. So no major impact to me personally. I’m only interested in the challenge of completing games in my backlog.

I’m not here to compete with anyone :)

I would go so far as to say even open source servers that are 100% trusted should not be allowed and the reason is that they are open source. There wouldn't be anything to stop someone from modifying said code, running their own server, then popping trophies any way they choose. Sure it would take more skill than the average person, but the very real possibility exists. 

It's simply a rabbit hole no one should venture down. Open Pandora's box and it can never be closed. 

10 hours ago, thistleboy said:

I would go so far as to say even open source servers that are 100% trusted should not be allowed and the reason is that they are open source. There wouldn't be anything to stop someone from modifying said code, running their own server, then popping trophies any way they choose. Sure it would take more skill than the average person, but the very real possibility exists. 

It's simply a rabbit hole no one should venture down. Open Pandora's box and it can never be closed. 

You can already pop trophies with braindead ease if you have CFW installed. This cop-out/excuse doesn't work here.