Console Edition Opinions

Not sure what's different to the PC version but so far this game is pretty good,it's something different which can be appreciated. I guess it would of been cool if they added some voices in and some other stuff but it's pretty fun so far. The way it was going on it just seemed a little repetitive and a bit too easy, Fair play to Sony for giving them a try but it's not worth being a PS+ game.

Let's be honest guys, how long did you survive? 

Got to day 4 and it got a little bit boring so gave up.

Edited by Meacham93

Seen a trailer and i think it's safe to say, i don't even want this game for free. I simply don't have time to be playing average indie games with my huge backlog.

To be honest it looked pretty decent when going through the first few levels expecting stuff to change dramatically it but as you go through you just get this feeling that it's going to be repetitive for a long time, It's definitely not worth being a PS+ game.

Edited by Meacham93

I've made it to the third day. About to go hungry though, so I think I'm going to start over. I've been reading some tips online, so that'll make things easier. I think it gets a little better when you've actually got a base camp and start building things. But that's just what I've read, so I can't say for sure. You can definitely see the Minecraft influence in this game.

Am up to day 16. Now have a couple of farms, and working towards improving my base further. Really enjoying it, and have to disagree about it being a PS+ game. You do have to remember that the PS4 is a new console, and so there aren't that many games to choose from.

Having got it for nothing on the PS4, I have also purchased it for PC, as supporting the developer seemed a worthwhile cause to me.

• Like 1

Don't Starve is a niche game in a niche genre, so it's not shocking that it doesn't click with a lot of people.  It's not really something you see too often in general, let alone on consoles. For what it is, it's a great game, regardless of how I feel about the genre.  Though by playing with the world settings some I've managed to make the game somewhat more enjoyable for myself by making it more of a general survival game and easing up the difficulty by ridding myself of night and winter.

rogue likes in general are a tricky thing to get a lot of people behind.  i haven't played much of it (day 8) but there are options when launching a new game world that might make it a little easier to get into. more food, less enemies, that kind of thing.

Am up to day 16. Now have a couple of farms, and working towards improving my base further. Really enjoying it, and have to disagree about it being a PS+ game. You do have to remember that the PS4 is a new console, and so there aren't that many games to choose from.

Having got it for nothing on the PS4, I have also purchased it for PC, as supporting the developer seemed a worthwhile cause to me.

I know PS4 is a new system,I wasn't expecting a blockbuster game but for a free monthly game I'm sure there are a lot better out there that could of been put on. That's all I meant. I'm all for supporting the developers but I only buy things I think are worthy. It's all down to personal preference.

It's a little repetitive and I'm not a fan of that type of game.

I'm really enjoying it but I adore rogue-likes. I do wish they included more trophies though, sadly Klei is very anti-trophy however.

Do you have a source for this, or are you just speculating? Shank, Shank 2 and this all have the maximum allowable trophy points for a PSN-style list. Not every game gets to have a plat.

I know PS4 is a new system,I wasn't expecting a blockbuster game but for a free monthly game I'm sure there are a lot better out there that could of been put on. That's all I meant. I'm all for supporting the developers but I only buy things I think are worthy. It's all down to personal preference.

It's a little repetitive and I'm not a fan of that type of game.

There are basically no games on the thing, so finding a publisher that's willing to offer their game for free and butcher their own sales when they have a decent chance of getting a few in such an empty marketplace is not easy. There are basically no other options.

• Like 1

Do you have a source for this, or are you just speculating? Shank, Shank 2 and this all have the maximum allowable trophy points for a PSN-style list. Not every game gets to have a plat.

There are basically no games on the thing, so finding a publisher that's willing to offer their game for free and butcher their own sales when they have a decent chance of getting a few in such an empty marketplace is not easy. There are basically no other options.

I guess that's a fair point, just me being picky I suppose. 

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/08/klei-trolls-trophyachievement-hunters-with-dont-starves-accomploshrine/69124/

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=klei+doesn%27t+like+trophies+for+don%27t+starve&d=4965077877339038&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=1LNhrsdIIqLR23LRiw10NweV0YJ1N49Q

http://www.edge-online.com/features/kleis-kevin-forbes-talks-introducing-new-players-to-dont-starve/

It's pretty well documented that Klei doesn't like trophies for Don't Starve because it suppose to be a non-handholding, non-guide, non-task based game.

Devs DO get money when offering games on PS Plus:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81426/playstation-plus-buyouts-for-devs-confirmed-by-sony

Edited by PSN_Tokeio
  • Like 1

It's pretty well documented that Klei doesn't like trophies for Don't Starve because it suppose to be a non-handholding, non-guide, non-task based game.

Right. People like to say Klei are against achievements/trophies, but that's not actually true. They're only against them for this specific game for the stated reasons. It's the whole reason that the Steam version of the game (which has been out for over 8 months) still does not have achievements and the devs have gone on record that they will not add them.

Edited by Phoenix8387
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the game i can sit there and farm for days without getting bored (execpt thoose damn dogs come every now and then and break my farming and building schedule) but seriosly? Just look at the trophies! Despicable to even call them trophies, was it so hard to reward players for building a science-machine? Or maybe even a trophy for picking your first freaking carrot! No, instead you have to die to be able to get a trophie

• Like 1

Yeah, the trophies aren't the best sadly. They basically wanted to stick by their guns and not provide any type of trophy that could possibly GUIDE you in anyway. So forcing you to build a "Scientific Machine" is out because you're forced to build one for a trophy. They are mandated to provide them however by Sony. That's why the Accomploshrine is a pure troll on Klei's part. I personally enjoy trophies, it does however "force" me to play games more often or at least try. IMO, that's good, but in Klei's opinion it breaks the overall design goal of Don't Starve i.e. you're there to starve, no help, figure it out for yourself.

I found it enjoyable up to a point, but I'm not too big on games where you have to make your own fun. I still wouldn't call it a bad game though, just not my thing.

It also seems to be a rather brutal 100%. I'm not too sure how difficult adventure mode is, but unlocking Wes looks like something I'd rather not deal with regardless of difficulty.

I love this game... im so addicted to trying to survive... hunting and gathering and building and evolving technologically... im surprised to read some of the comments above (especially from those who haven't played it) because it actually is a decent indie game... the visuals and gameplay are better than the videos lead you to believe... and it provides a great amount of challenge that has kept me coming back for more... so far i have only been able to survive until a few days into Winter (roughly 25 days).

but for FREE at least you should fire it up and try it before scoffing... I was thinking the same things as most of the post above until i actually tried it

Interesting on Klei's take on trophies. The list is fine as it is, they did a good job of not manipulating players' choices by including the trophies they did.

And compared to potential sales, PS+ "buyout" money is a pittance. You'd be astounded by how low it can be at times (though of course I can't get into specifics for respect for my industry friends). And yes, I know that making vague references to industry friends doesn't prove a goddamn thing, but I don't care, believe me or not I do know what I'm talking about here

The buyouts are on a case by case basis with Sony. Some devs probably don't get much at all, some won't get anything, others may get more. No one truly knows expect the devs themselves and I'm sure all that money info is tied up in an NDA.

PS+ is great for consumers obviously. But I think long term it's good for devs from a marketing perspective. People that don't have PS+ will see the game in more places on the PSN stores so the chances of people actually paying full price will be higher. And once it's off Plus, those that missed it will see people playing it due to the free offering initially. It's an interesting case study and I'd like to see more hard figures around it but I doubt we ever will. 

My favorite thing about PS+ though is the sales. It's Steam level quality and if that's all I got out of it I'd be satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...