Is Playstation Plus worth it for you? (analysis)

omgitsbounce

I found this fantastic article on IGN breaking down all the savings and discounts for PS+. I deff recommend taking a gander if you're on the fence about subscribing or renewing your subscription. I've been a member since day one and I definitely think it is fantastic. It's not for everyone, I totally understand, but god damn, I'd say it's most people :)

PlayStation Plus: One Year Later - PS3 Feature at IGN

Between free games, discounted games and DLC, Avatars and Themes, demos and Full Game Trials, PlayStation Plus has posted 286 separate pieces of content. And just between the free games, discounted games and discounted DLC, your maximum savings in PlayStation Plus' first year amounts to $881.57. That's approaching 18 times the cost of a 12-month subscription to PlayStation Plus and doesn't take into account Avatars, Themes, Full Game Trials or demos.

Some graphs and stuff to give you a better idea:

playstation-plus-one-year-later-a-by-the-numbers-analysis--20110629014550558.jpg

playstation-plus-one-year-later-a-by-the-numbers-analysis--20110629014551136.jpg

playstation-plus-one-year-later-20110629040742452.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice find, whenever some of my friends ask me whether it is worth it or not, I just ask them a few simple questions:

*Do you use and download frequently from the PS Store?

*Do you play a variety of video games?

*Do you have a large Hard Drive?

I'd say these are the biggest ways to find out whether it is for you.

• Like 1

I'm actually thinking about extending my free subscription 1-month too but I have one main question for all you long-time PS+ users.

If you didn't have PS+, would you have bought those games anyway? I found that I was buying some games just because they were so cheap with the PS+ discount (good games mind you) but without the PS+ discount, I likely wouldn't have picked up Deathspank and Thongs of Virtue. Is it really "savings" if you wouldn't have played them anyway?

I'm actually thinking about extending my free subscription 1-month too but I have one main question for all you long-time PS+ users.

If you didn't have PS+, would you have bought those games anyway? I found that I was buying some games just because they were so cheap with the PS+ discount (good games mind you) but without the PS+ discount, I likely wouldn't have picked up Deathspank and Thongs of Virtue. Is it really "savings" if you wouldn't have played them anyway?

That is one of my favorite parts of PS+. You get free, or discounted games that you'd never think of playing, and you end up loving them. Anything that introduces me to new and fun games gets a big thumbs up in my book.

PS+ won't always have something that interests you for that month, but I can absolutely guarantee that over the course of a year, you will more than make up the subscription cost with games that you actually like. The cloud storage is also something that is extremely useful, although it would be nice for regular PSN users to have access to that feature, but possibly with less storage space.

Parker

• Like 1

That is one of my favorite parts of PS+. You get free, or discounted games that you'd never think of playing, and you end up loving them. Anything that introduces me to new and fun games gets a big thumbs up in my book.

PS+ won't always have something that interests you for that month, but I can absolutely guarantee that over the course of a year, you will more thank make up the subscription cost with games that you actually like. The cloud storage is also something that is extremely useful, although it would be nice for regular PSN users to have access to that feature, but possible with less storage space.

Parker

Hmm that's actually a really good way of looking at it :D. Good attitude Parker!

But what if my backlog of games is already way too large T_T? I kinda understand why girls buy clothing they never wear when it's on sale...I bought games I'll probably never get to due to PS+ discounts.

Hmm that's actually a really good way of looking at it :D. Good attitude Parker!

But what if my backlog of games is already way too large T_T? I kinda understand why girls buy clothing they never wear when it's on sale...I bought games I'll probably never get to due to PS+ discounts.

I'm with you on that. I already have a big backlog, and to make matters worse I went to GameStop a few days ago to see how many games I had pre-ordered and apparently I have 8... And they are all coming out within 1-2 months of each other. My wife is going to be furious when she sees all the new stuff I'll be bringing home. Maybe I'll buy her a purse or necklace, then she can't complain about me spending so much money on myself. ^_^

Parker

Yes. I actually would.

I absolutely fiend PSN games (not sure how far reaching a colloquialism that is - it means I really like them) and most of the ones that have been on offer have been awesome, like Beyond Good and Evil HD, Under Siege, and about 10 others.

Hmm.. I'm guessing it auto-renewals if you don't cancel it right?

I'll probably keep it, the cloud saves are useful (finally can move copy protected ones, I curse game developers who make those, find copy protect, how about a MOVE option Sony??!!)

As for the free and discounted stuff... meh, I keep looking but nothing interests me yet, would be nice if we got discount on new DLC out that week.

Hopefully more perks will come soon.

I personally don't think PS+ is worth the money. I mean it's all fine and dandy when you get DLCs for less money and some avatars, and once in a while some money off of a PSone classic, but considering how much money you pay to get PS+, I don't think it's worth it. I mean, all of those things you can live without, and it's better to save your money for actual games IMO.

It depends what kind of gamer you are. This is gonna sound really snooty but it's true - if you're a total mainstreamer then Plus isn't for you, as you won't want to tear yourself away from whatever CoD game you're playing to try the interesting and different PSN games that are free / discounted, whereas if you're someone who likes smaller / indie games, it's literally perfect.

• Like 1

The month or two I had PS+, I nabbed some free themes and avatars... tried Golden Axe free with my brother and a friend just to find out it wasn't 3 players... and that was about it. It's personally not worth it for me really, but I rarely buy much on PSN and when I do they usually aren't PS+ discounted.

Though I may miss the Online Storage someday...

I never thought it was worth it until I actually tried it thanks to the welcome back package they had. Since then, I went ahead and signed up for a year. I will definitely make my money back via the discounts on the PSN games. I already spent over $20 during my first week as a plus member and will continue to buy more PSN games in the future, especially if they're discounted.

i hated playstation plus. at least, the free trial... they were keeping stuff away. once everyones free trial expires, they will start adding good stuff. im sure of that ;\

Everyone with the free trial got invited to the Uncharted 3 Beta, so I don't think they held out too much. PS+ is a crapshoot, sometimes they will have two or three fantastic updates, and other times you won't find but one or two things you like. Regardless, I'm sure even the pickiest gamer would have more savings over the course of a year with PS+ than the subscription cost, but those bad updates stick with people more than the good ones.

Parker

Everyone with the free trial got invited to the Uncharted 3 Beta, so I don't think they held out too much. PS+ is a crapshoot, sometimes they will have two or three fantastic updates, and other times you won't find but one or two things you like. Regardless, I'm sure even the pickiest gamer would have more savings over the course of a year with PS+ than the subscription cost, but those bad updates stick with people more than the good ones.

Parker

but thats the thing. i liked the themes and avatars, but i hated the free games. they should let you keep them, i didnt download any of them since 1 month is not enough for me. since itll download for a week, then an other 2 weeks before i decide to play it, and i will only have time to play the game for 1 week. and that is not enough