Is Playstation Plus worth it for you? (analysis)

omgitsbounce

Completely and utterly worth it - it is essentially a premium service that lives up to its name.

The yearly subscription is a no-brainer for me. 50 or so euros for a years worth of free and discounted games.

That being said, i have a fixed salary and a decent job. If I wasn't earning and money was a little more rigid, i might think a little harder. I would probably go for it either way though to be honest.

I'm sorry if what I'm about to put up is I guess "Off topic"-ish...

Since you guys are pointing out all of the  good points of PS+ I figure it'd be better to ask here.

What are the BAD points of PS+?

As in, what happens when you end / do not continue the subscription? Do you lose ALL of your PS+ content that you had received for free or do you keep it all on DL list as "Purchases?"

I have seen the agreement and windows that pop up stating I will lose access but I have heard TOO many mixed "answers" to this question.

This has worried me and I had intended to cancel my subscription but I still find myself getting the on and off "What if."

Like if a game I had really liked but couldn't afford before suddenly popped up under the PS+ discounts.

I'd really like to know the cons, or not rather cons but after-effects(?) of PS+. Please and thank you!

As in, what happens when you end / do not continue the subscription? Do you lose ALL of your PS+ content that you had received for free or do you keep it all on DL list as "Purchases?"

You'll lose access to the content. Regardless if you're online of offline at the time of expiration.

I'd assume that if you renew your subsciption later on, you get access to what you had "purchased" before?

Edited by Sakraali

Things have been a bit tight money-wise for me the past year or two, so I sadly missed out on a lot of games I would've loved to have played. Games like Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider...all titles I simply couldn't justify getting on launch day at full price.

I don't normally buy many games on release due to financial constraints, so Playstation Plus has been phenomenal for me personally. For less than a single full retail game purchase, I've managed to download so many great games for both my PS3 and Vita in the short time I've been subscribed. That's not even mentioning the handful of PS4 titles that I have waiting on my download list for when the time comes to upgrade to some next-gen goodness.

It's also allowed me to broaden my horizons when it comes to gaming; series or genres I wouldn't normally play are now readily available to me, and I've had the opportunity to test out new types of games I wouldn't have played under normal circumstances.

Everything else, be it avatars, themes, cloud storage, are just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry if what I'm about to put up is I guess "Off topic"-ish...

Since you guys are pointing out all of the  good points of PS+ I figure it'd be better to ask here.

What are the BAD points of PS+?

I have seen the agreement and windows that pop up stating I will lose access but I have heard TOO many mixed "answers" to this question.

This has worried me and I had intended to cancel my subscription but I still find myself getting the on and off "What if."

Like if a game I had really liked but couldn't afford before suddenly popped up under the PS+ discounts.

I'd really like to know the cons, or not rather cons but after-effects(?) of PS+. Please and thank you!

Here, I'll give you the rundown:

If you get a free game with PS+ and your subscription ends, you no longer can access that game.  However, if you renew the subscription, you can access it again, even if it was removed from the "Free games" list.  As long as you added the game to your list when you had your subscription active (they don't add themselves automatically, you have to do it manually by clicking "Download", even if you cancel the download), the game will be in your list forever, so you will gain access back when you get your subscription back.

If you purchase a game that has a PS+ extra or exclusive discount, the game is yours and you can still play it even if your subscription ends.

That is one of my favorite parts of PS+. You get free, or discounted games that you'd never think of playing, and you end up loving them. Anything that introduces me to new and fun games gets a big thumbs up in my book.

PS+ won't always have something that interests you for that month, but I can absolutely guarantee that over the course of a year, you will more than make up the subscription cost with games that you actually like. The cloud storage is also something that is extremely useful, although it would be nice for regular PSN users to have access to that feature, but possibly with less storage space.

Parker

I think of the same way. If it wasn't for PS+ I think I would never play other games that we're out of my familirity zone like Metal Gear Rising, Deus Ex, Darksiders, Demon's Souls, Spec Ops, BioShock 2 & Infinite, and so on.

I taked the opportunity (sorry if I spelled it wrong :( ) to have PS+ for 3 months and at E3 Sony said there would be 20 games for free. And then I saw it was good so started with the 3 month (though the games would stay with me but when PS+ expires the games don't work) so I waited 4 months and now in every December I buy a PS+ for 1 year. But my parents at first didn't wanted to buy it. But well I showed them how do we save by using this. And until now with 2 years & 3 months of paying PS+ my total saved is 2020.52€ and I also played games that I would never give them a chance.

I was debating on whether I should sign up, and last year I did, 15 months for the price of 12, and I have to say, it's worth every penny.

I own PS3, VITA, and PS4, and I get to play games I would never have rented let alone buy.

Great value, and I shall be renewing my membership.

I'd say if you have multiple PS consoles and like to play a variety of genres, it's good. Especially if you're on a budget. 

There's been a lot of fun games that I never would have tried if they hadn't been on PS+, but then there's also a few that it's saved me from wasting more money on. To each their own though~

As a PS3 and Vita owner...yes! The instant game collection and discounts are definately worth more than the low asking price of membership

Is the mandatory requirement to have it for PS4 online play worth it...NO! At least not this early. You're not nearly getting the same value in your money if you're still not playing the PS3 and/or the Vita. This early into the console's life cycle, Sony isn't going to give subscribers the same quality AAA titles and discounts that are given on the legacy side...it doesn't benefit them to. When it come to the PS4, you're just paying an online fee with a few perks.

Edited by merciful84

Yes. Without a doubt. My old account is still subbed till 2015 and even though for a year or 2 I've been on steam Ive been adding games via PC to it. So now I have a huge collection on returning to Playstation.

Its so good I have no issue that I've also subbed this account so I'll be able to access a nice Vita collection and for ps4 I only plan to keep 1 acc on the system so will benifit there also

I think it's worth every penny. I didn't need to spend too much money on gaming now thanks to ps+. And it's giving me really great games tht I normally wouldn't have tried ( Deus Ex HR, Virtue's Reward Zero Escape, Catherine, Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, Dead or Alive 5, Borderlands, Tomb Raider and many more)

If you just own a PS4 and aren't fussed about Indie titles, maybe it's not for you.  For Vita or PS3 or multiple machine owners it feels like a no brainer.

I've been PS+ from day one and the amount of great free games I've had is awesome.  If you are the sort of person that picks up everything bigger release day one maybe you won't see the benefit as much. 

My current backlog of just PS+ games includes

PS3

Spec Ops: The line -  just started playing now

Uncharted 3

Far Cry 3

Dead Space 2

PES 2014

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Remember Me

Metro Last light

Hitman Absolution

PS4

Outlast

Mercenary Kings

PS VITA: 

Gravity Rush

Sly Cooper

For a relatively small amount a year it's a huge amount of gaming.

A couple of tips for using PS+

Discounted PS+ time stacks so you can extend you subscription period whenever there is an offer on.

'Purchase' everything you think you might want even if you don't yet own the console, don't have to download it right away.  If you later buy a VITA or PS4 for example the content will be there waiting for you.

• Like 1

A couple of tips for using PS+

Discounted PS+ time stacks so you can extend you subscription period whenever there is an offer on.

'Purchase' everything you think you might want even if you don't yet own the console, don't have to download it right away.  If you later buy a VITA or PS4 for example the content will be there waiting for you.

Pro-tips right here.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...