Which is better, Playstation trophies or Xbox achievements?

MyLordD

Trophies since I think platinums look more appealing then a high gamerscore number
Although there might be a few games I would go out of my way to get all the achievements for like Eternal Sonata, Legend of Spyro Dawn of the Dragon and Dust an Elysian Tail(since I have the platinum on PS4 already) and maybe a few others if they don't have online acvhievements since I don't have xbox live gold.

Easily trophies. Not just because I'm on Playstation, there was a time I was leaning more on the Xbox side and I thought the achievements were meh. Especially since I don't really like numbers. Yay, I got 50 more points, great. I get points AND different types of trophies with Playstation so I'd pick Playstation any day.

Like many people on this site I am bias to this topic and I think trophies are better. We actually get a grade (bronze, silver, gold and platinum) instead of just a number which means nothing.

Also we have trophy levels which I think is great cause I love progression on online multiplayer games and this is just another progression aspect :)

• Like 1

To the OT-- I prefer the trophy system because of the visual representation and much better sort/compare options, especially on the Vita (although the PS4 has improved lately). Also, even more so now because you can see and read the descriptions of all your trophies across all PlayStation platforms, whereas with Xbox, the 360 won't show you your One achievements, and vice versa.

... And now that there's stupid stuff like getting achievements for watching TV and now that there's timed achievements, gamerscores mean even less too.

Quite a few people on here are confused about this... Gamerscore is not affected by achievements related to apps like Netflix and twitch, and the timed challenges give you neither an achievement nor any points toward your gamerscore. The challenges don't show up outside of the xbox one anyway, unless you go to a third-party tracking site that pulls that information.

That being said, I don't like the timed challenges, because 1) they're timed, so I can and have missed out on them, and 2) I imagine Microsoft and publishers/developers see this as an incentive to buy the game at release, and I worry one day they WILL implement timed achievements for the same purpose. :o

... Look, I'd never had a Xbox console but I think that you can purchase digital stuff with "points" and I've seen that Xbox achievements give you "points", so i thought you could buy stuff after getting enough points through achievements. :D

So, what are/were those points? it's something like Sony rewards?

The points per achievement that go toward your Gamerscore were never related to "Microsoft points" :) Previously, if you wanted to buy a game, DLC, avatar, etcetera, on xbox live, you had first buy Microsoft points and then use those points to buy whatever it was you wanted. They did away with that system a couple years or so ago, which was good, because it was harder to know what you were truly paying for an item, and you often had to buy blocks of points larger than what you needed (they sold in 400 point increments). So now instead of paying $15 for 1200 ms points, then buying a game for 1200 points, you pay $14.99 for said game directly.

Huh...Well that's awesome. I can finally be rid of some games on my trophy lists, I've been wanting to get rid of. Like Bulletstorm since I can't plat it and Gran Turismo 5 & CoD: World at War, since I didn't want them on my trophy lists in the first place. Looking forward to gettingm y PS4 even more now =D.

Or, if you have a smartphone, you could download the PlayStation App and delete those 0% games now! :D

As a former achievement hunter I'd have to say earning a platinum trophy feels alot better than earning 1000/1000 gamerscore. Something that always bothered me about the achievement system was the completed games section on Xbox Live. Every game you 100% is listed there, but if you get all the achievements for one game and then they release DLC it no longer comes under your completed games list. In most cases you could just get the DLC and then nab all the achievements so it'll be listed as completed again, sometimes this isn't an option. Phantasy Star Universe is an example, I got all the achievements for that game then they released some bullshit DLC which focused on the online potion of the game (all main game achievements were offline). Now, I'm not the biggest fan of multiplayer games so there was no way I was gonna endure more suffering playing PSU again, especially online. 

card.png

Edited by Venocide
  • Like 1

Personally, I prefer Playstation Trophies mainly due to the fact the platinum trophy shows you are a master of the game whereas with achievements, all you need to do is rack up them Gs and you seem like a skilled gamer, no point of really trying unless you're a completionist.

Although, Achievements with the whole point system seems a lot fairer, all we have are bronze silver and gold.

• 3 years later...

Definitely Sony. As a NA player. I had earned at least $50 for my trophies. If only Sony Rewards counted it lifetime than when you signed up. I do wish bronze were at least 1cent. And not completely worseless. 

Would like to try the achievements on Microsoft's side at some point in order to know them better but, right now, I am happy with how the trophies operate on Sony's side. Frankly, I really like the idea of getting some sort of grade or virtual merit representation in the form of trophies in comparison to just a bunch of numbers.

That's not to say they are all adequately graded though... There are some insanely hard bronzes out there and, at the same time, there are golds that barely require any effort. That's a point for another thread though ;)

• Like 1

XBox.

The stat tracking is just on another level. It tracks individual trophies like "Get 1000 kills with X ability - You have 772 / 1000, 77% complete".

Not to mention the whole "You got 740 gamerscore this month, up 280 from last month"

And also friend leaderboards to show how you're stacking up compared to your friend this month or week or whatever.

I'd kill for stat tracking like that on PS4. Sony could really learn a thing or two.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2014 at 10:56 AM, Blue Flare said:

I feel like that coming from a PSN trophies based website that most opinions here will have a bias towards PSN trophies. They're basically the same thing except that PSN has platinum trophies.

Xbox, unfortunately, has no equivalent when you get all main game trophies. If Xbox had something like an "ultimate achievement" then they'd be exaclty the same.

They still have differences. 

Trophies have screenshots

Achievements have percentage trackers

Trophies have set values (Gold Silver Bronze)

Achievements have a numeric value (this could be a pro or a con depending on opinion)

Achievements come with a wallpaper (and some games do it really well like Tomb Raider and Halo, while some others suck)

Rare Achievements

Trophies unlock offline

Achievements are always synced

Trophies have an option to see Hidden requirements via the console

• Like 1

I prefer trophies. I like the different trophy types compared to a raw gamerscore number. I also like that platniums aren't affected by DLCs that add new trophies down the line. I'd get annoyed when I worked hard to 100% a game (like Halo 3, for example), only for it to get DLC trophies for multiplayer that were incredibly situational and I was never able to get.

Edited by Anders_Fearer

Trophies.

Because with achievements, it's 100% or nothing.  Which means DLC and other achievements added later hurts your %.  It does on the Playstation as well, but the platinum trophy for the core game trophies helps ease the pain a bit. ;)  Once you have it, you know that'll never change at least.

That being said, I don't really do either anymore.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1