TheSlyGCooper

PC vs. Playstation

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, posting here is going to have some bias but I want some opinions. I have a decent PC right now (GTX 1080 + Ryzen 5 1600) and I recently got the itch to buy a new one to play everything at max settings + high fps. I also have a PS5 which obviously runs things really well for the cost. I've been a big trophy hunter for a long time, so I've only dabbled in PC gaming. I decided to take the plunge and bought a $2700 decked out PC and it's awesome, but I'm still getting the trophy itch. My wife also isn't thrilled with the purchase and part of me is getting buyers remorse and I'm not sure if I can justify the purchase if I'm still going to trophy hunt as ill probably end up just playing everything on console again. On the plus side, I have 2 weeks to send the PC back for a refund if I change my mind, but I need some suggestions/opinions. Should I try to 'get over' trophy hunting and play everything on the new PC at higher fidelity/framerates? Or embrace my trophy hunting (borderline addiction) and send the PC back? 

55 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I don't think you need to "get over" trophy hunting if that is what you enjoy. You can still play on both PC and PS5 and whatever other platforms you use. I personally play on many platforms and have pretty much abandoned PlayStation as it doesn't seem to cater to my tastes very well these days. 

PC is a fantastic platform as the game selection is so vast, there are lots of control options, you can use mods, you get to try early access games and influence their development, and the cost of games is low. I've gotten free games worth over 1000 € just this past year (you can get the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy from Epic Games store for free at the moment). Here's a list of what's been handed out free just by Epic. Steam, GOG and Uplay in addition to many other storefronts offer free games occasionally. Xbox PC Game Pass gives access to about 150 titles for 10 €/month (includes games from EA Play). So if you look at it that way, PC is quite an affordable choice. 
You can "trophy hunt" on PC too. And you can do a lot of other things on PC aside from gaming. 

The choice is yours to make, so consider the pros and cons, what you personally are looking for in gaming and make your decision based on what you value. 

All the best to new year 2022! Happy gaming!

I love all these things about PC gaming + being able to play everything at a higher fidelity and framerate. The problem is that I've had a bit of a trophy addiction for awhile now and won't touch anything without trophies (which I don't think is a healthy habit). I'm worried I'll go into PC gaming with a 'fresh perspective' (not worrying about achievements/trophies) and fall back into trophy hunting, essentially wasting the money I spent on the PC. 

I built a PC in 2021 as well, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU, EVGA 3090 GPU, 32GB of RAM. It plays everything I want, but since purchasing a PS5, I have found myself playing games on console much more often. There are plenty of great PC exclusives, and all the Xbox exclusives I want to play I can get on PC as well, but I simply find it more enjoyable to play games on my PS5. I'm honestly not sure why, but I certainly don't regret building a high end PC.

Parker

Posted (edited)

It really comes down to the kind of games you enjoy most, and what aspects of gaming you value most, I think.

If you’re big into the AAA scene, and regularly play the kind of games that are pushing the bleeding edge on graphical fidelity and frame-rate, then no console is going to really compete with a beast of a PC - that’s always going to be true, simply due to the nature of PC customisation. 
On the other hand, if more of the games you like are smaller, less graphically or technically advanced games, or the indie scene, then that makes the big additional cost of a PC vs a console much harder to justify in a pure cost-to-benefit sense.

There’s also the convenience factor to consider - I know for my part, I’ve long stepped away from PC gaming, simply because I value the easy “flop on the couch, download a game, and know it’s going to work without driver nonsense etc to worry about” - I’m, of course, not going to be necessarily playing the tip-top version of a game, but that convenience is worth the offset to me personally - and yes, the trophies are a nice little addition too! 😉

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It really comes down to the kind of games you enjoy most, and what aspects of gaming you value most, I think.

If you’re big into the AAA scene, and regularly play the kind of games that are pushing the bleeding edge on graphical fidelity and frame-rate, then no console is going to really compete with a beast of a PC - that’s always going to be true, simply due to the nature of PC customisation. 
On the other hand, if more of the games you like are smaller, less graphically or technically advanced games, or the indie scene, then that makes the big additional cost of a PC vs a console much harder to justify in a pure cost-to-benefit sense.

There’s also the convenience factor to consider - I know for my part, I’ve long stepped away from PC gaming, simply because I value the easy “flop on the couch, download a game, and know it’s going to work without driver nonsense etc to worry about” - I’m, of course, not going to be necessarily playing the tip-top version of a game, but that convenience is worth the offset to me personally - and yes, the trophies are a nice little addition too! 1f609.png

I generally prefer the convenience approach as well, but part of me thinks I should distance myself from trophy hunting after how addicted I got this past year. The problem is that when I play on PC it just feels more 'empty' (for lack of a better word) without trophies. Sounds silly I know. 

33 minutes ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

I generally prefer the convenience approach as well, but part of me thinks I should distance myself from trophy hunting after how addicted I got this past year. The problem is that when I play on PC it just feels more 'empty' (for lack of a better word) without trophies. Sounds silly I know. 

No, I get it - I mean, I try very hard to make sure I don’t fall into the trap of leaderboard chasing or playing games for the trophies rather than the games - and I’m successful for the most part - but it’s not like any of us on this site are immune to the effect trophies have had on gaming.

Even in the best circumstances- where we are playing only games we would have play anyways, there’s still a big draw in wanting to “complete” a game by finishing out the trophy list.
“Finishing” a game used to mean just seeing credits, but now it really has changed, for a lot of us, to mean getting the S-Rank, and the dopamine hit of a trophy is not an insignificant thing.

(I mean, let’s face it, gamers have been chasing dopamine responses since the days of the arcades, we are pretty susceptible to it! 😂)

I’m  someone who fights the urge to let trophies dictate what I play, but they definitely affect how I play - I know, for example, I’m likely to stick with a game more if there are trophies left to get, and certainly less inclined to return to a game once all the trophies are done. Like you, also, I’m far more likely to pick up a game on Playstation than iPad or Switch, even if there are cheaper versions on other platforms, because, hey, if I’m gonna play it, why not get some trophies while I’m at it?

Achievements and Trophies have changed the way we approach games in a lot of subtle ways - some good and some bad - but I don’t think it’s silly at all for you to feel that change manifest in a variety of ways - this decision is just one of them! :dunno:

Posted (edited)

On 12/31/2021 at 10:24 AM, TheSlyGCooper said:

My wife also isn't thrilled with the purchase 

BRUH.. 

*Coffin Dance Song*

RETURN IT IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!

If you have the trophy itch.. Return it and stick to the PS5. Better to dedicate yourself on trophies than going back and forth to the PC. You can always buy the games on PC and just upgrade your rig whenever. Plus that $2,700 will go down in price sooner or later. 

Oh and I would suggest doing the on-line trophies first. Cause you can always go back to singleplayer trophies whenever, so you don't anger your wife with spending so much time playing games. 

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

13 hours ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

I love all these things about PC gaming + being able to play everything at a higher fidelity and framerate. The problem is that I've had a bit of a trophy addiction for awhile now and won't touch anything without trophies (which I don't think is a healthy habit). I'm worried I'll go into PC gaming with a 'fresh perspective' (not worrying about achievements/trophies) and fall back into trophy hunting, essentially wasting the money I spent on the PC. 

Sounds like trophies (or the possible addiction) bother and worry you. Maybe the first step could be to try to break free from the mindset of a trophy being an indicator of having achieved something. I hear a lot of people have turned the trophy notifications off to concentrate on the game instead of the trophies. Also playing on platforms with no trophies can help to find out you don't need the dopamine loop provided by trophies to enjoy games. Concentrating on other hobbies or activities can help as well so you get positive feedback elsewhere than in trophies. 

I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat as you here and on various other gaming-related forums and they can probably offer advice on what has helped them. There are also mental health professionals who can steer you in the right direction if nothing else works.

9 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Sounds like trophies (or the possible addiction) bother and worry you. Maybe the first step could be to try to break free from the mindset of a trophy being an indicator of having achieved something. I hear a lot of people have turned the trophy notifications off to concentrate on the game instead of the trophies. Also playing on platforms with no trophies can help to find out you don't need the dopamine loop provided by trophies to enjoy games. Concentrating on other hobbies or activities can help as well so you get positive feedback elsewhere than in trophies. 

I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat as you here and on various other gaming-related forums and they can probably offer advice on what has helped them. There are also mental health professionals who can steer you in the right direction if nothing else works.

I've been tossing around the idea of 'quitting trophies' for awhile. I've been comparing games on PS4/PS5 to playing them on my new PC w/ a 21:9 monitor and I'm enjoying the PC versions a lot more. Trophies are a double edged sword for me as sometimes I feel like that extra motivation helps me complete more games. On the flip side, many times my enjoyment has dwindled by the time I have the Plat and could've spent the extra time finishing another game (my backlog is massive). 

Did you put your family in a bad financial situation by buying the PC?  Will you and the kids be eating ramen for dinner for the next few months because of this?  Are you barely making ends meet or have a lot of debt already, and now you just added another 3g's to it?  Not looking to get all personal and don't expect an answer, but these are the questions you need to ask yourself.  If it's a yes, then I understand your wife's frustration, and you are better off returning it.  If it's a no, and she's just mad because u spent almost 3 grand on yourself without consulting her, or she didn't get 3 grand in shoes or jewelry or whatever, then return the wife instead 😄  If it's your money, the bills are taken care of, and it's not like the house has a hole in the roof or something else that needs to be addressed, then why not.

I just think this is one of those questions that only you can answer when it comes down to what will make you happier.  Can you find a happy medium?  Like play the newest games on the PC and leave your older stuff for PS to satisfy your trophy wants?  Sounds like you are identifying trophy hunting as an issue in your life if you are thinking about "quitting it".  If it is a detriment, then leave it behind.  Play the games on the PC and enjoy it without the need to 100% everything for what amounts to a little ding and some brownie points.  Sell off whatever backlog you can, which would cut into the cost of the PC, and it would help to get rid of whatever trophy addiction you may have for good.

Enjoy both PC and PS5. Both platforms have their exclusives. One advantage of PC games is modding (HQ texture packs, Reshade, etc).

If you keep the new PC, maybe wipe and sell your old one, then use the money you get from the sale to pay the new one down a bit.

I feel like I play more on Computer these last few years. Recent Survival games I've had some of the most fun when it comes to Multiplayer like Last Oasis & Myth of Empires. Plenty of others

Honestly it's sad to see what happen the Playstation's Online Board: 
old game servers closing unless you jot down someone's Private Server IP
Current Franchises with multiplayer on PS4 just aren't as lively as they were on PS3. imo this probably has to do with PS+
No one voice chats on console anymore because Discord

I don't own a PS5 and honestly with my hectic/busy lifestyle, not sure I will get one unless given. 

Playstation is vastly superior.

I sit in front of a PC all day for work.

There is no way in hell I'm sitting in front of a PC after 5pm to play games.

Edited by xakasthar

42 minutes ago, xakasthar said:

Steam Deck will be changing that narrative pretty soon

Also for OP, stick with both if there’s games on PC you aren’t planning on playing on PS4/5 or for games that aren’t available on PS4/5.

Edited by whodeygamer

I know I'm late to the party and that you've probably already made your mind up, but what the hell.

If all the spending is annoying the wife, and you have a legit addiction to trophies, I say stick with PC gaming. It's a lot better in many ways, especially now that Playstation has decided it's their civic duty to start censoring games. Having said that, if you can get your trophy problems in check, then the more systems the merrier. Do whatever you need to do though. Gaming shouldn't be a stressful hobby.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, pvtcaller202 said:

To each their own, but you make it sound so black and white. Antiquated too.

I've had PC's hooked up to TV's for like 15 years now, and 99% of my PC game library can be played with a gamepad from a couch/recliner. It's how I do the majority of my PC gaming. Funnily enough, most of my consoles are connected to a monitor.

I ended up keeping the PC, but I still mostly play my PS5, lol. Pretty much have only played the PC for some emulation and Game Pass with a buddy. 

I don't really have a personal preference. Both are decent in their own fashion.

PC has the modding communities, a solid 30 - 40 years of PC games, endless customization options, and the best workarounds.

PlayStation is good for their vast library of exclusives, is convenient, is much easier on the wallet, and of course, the trophy system. 

I started PC Gaming in the early 1990s, I was one of the lucky kids growing up who had a dad that was proficient with Windows computers. Without him I wouldn't of gotten into PC Gaming until much, much later. PCs were notoriously expensive back then, and building your own PC didn't become a thing until the mid - late 2000s, when it was more affordable for the average person to do it.

PlayStation has good exclusives, they always have. I'm more fond of the PS2 generation though, and sorely wish more of those classics were re-released with trophy support for the PS4 and PS5 consoles.

For me personally I play pc games to unwind from the trophy addiction I've seemed to have developed here in the last couple of years myself lol. Every couple of months like clockwork I get really burnt out on worrying about the platinum hunt and I'll take a week or two off from all things Playstation and play solely on Steam or my Switch to unwind just play games with no worries. 

I'm relatively new to the pc gaming scene myself; being a console kid through and through since the 90's SNES era; but I can totally understand why people end up buying good gaming rigs and completely abandoning all consoles in general though. I lucked out and ended up building my pc right before the pandemic hit and made pc parts skyrocket so I didn't have to sell a fuck'n kidney to be able to afford a decent GPU lol (GTX 1660 Super/Ryzen 5 2600x combo is what I'm rocking). When I finally finished building it and getting everything setup I didn't turn any of my consoles on for months, it was kinda overwhelming for me at first admittedly lol. Just the modding scene alone for most games is worth turning your back on consoles for good imo. Not to mention all the other benefits having a good pc offers in the way of music recording, video editing, and work related things to name a few things I use my pc for aside from gaming.

As I mentioned before though I'm a console kid at heart and I always end up coming back to my Playstation(s). Plus the achievement system on Steam is pretty garbage and does nothing for me, but the sound of a freshly popped Plat on any PS system just hits different :platinum: 😈

ps...

Glad to hear you ended up keeping your pc btw 👌