Never Played a JRPG - Which One?

kkulifay

In 2022, I’m making it a goal to platinum my first JRPG. Bear in mind, I’ve never even casually played one before. I’m a little intimidated, especially for turn-based ones, but still open minded.  I own Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition and Persona 5 Royal. What game out there would be a recommendation for someone who is curious to get their feet wet in this genre?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kkulifay said:

Is the Hard Difficulty play through rough on FF 7 for JRPG beginners?

I'm talking about the original release, not the remake :): https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4126-final-fantasy-vii

1 minute ago, BeautifulTorment said:

FF7 is the port of the original, with trophies, whereas FF7R is the remake. I think the recommendation for a place to start in this genre would be the original version.

This^

The Remake will leave you lost and confused if you've never played the original, plus it's meant to be a lot harder to Plat.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The Remake will leave you lost and confused if you've never played the original, plus it's meant to be a lot harder to Plat.

I agree with this - and would also add that while FFVII (original) is a really good example of the early 32-bit era jrpgs, the FFVIIRemake (while fantastic) is actually not a very good introduction to the genre, as it is much more of an action narrative game than a JRPG really.

It is a pretty atypical within the jrpg genre, as far as I am aware of it.

• Like 2

If you're not used to JRPGs, I would honestly steer clear of ports. Games like the original FF7 are great RPGs, but the PS1/PS2 era jank isn't a starting point I'd recommend, especially if you're looking into platting a game.

I'd suggest Persona 5 (haven't played Royal but it looks like a more streamlined plat), I Am Setsuna (if you don't mind a lower budget, but still very good game), and Trails of Cold Steel (if you are willing to follow the very good guide here religiously).

In case you're on a budget and want to try out a game before buying, many JRPGs have serviceable demos in the store, like Dragon Quest 11, Ys VIII, Ys IX, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Arise.

• Like 3

Dragon Quest XI is purest JRPG on PS4 imo. If you don't mind turn based combat I'd say go for it. Haven't played P5, so can't comment on that.
FF games are pretty unique, XII is my favorite, XV was alright too but not really that much of an rpg rather than adventure game imo. X was alright but didn't like X-2 at all. Haven't played VIIR yet.
Ni No Kuni games have beatiful Ghibli graphics and are very fun, although not very challenging.

• Like 2

Destiny Connect: Tick-Tock Travelers is a beginner friendly turn based JRPG but it can be a bit of a grind to get the platinum.

Blue Reflection is also fairly easy and turn based but has a shojo style magical girl theme that is not for everyone.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a really good Action-JRPG with a beautiful 2D art-style (like all Vanillaware games) and a good high-fantasy-story that is told from 5 different perspectives.

• Like 2

Before diving into the deepend of a 100+ hour JRPG like Persona, Dragon Quest, or the Trails of Cold Steel games, try your hand at a smaller game.

While technically not a JRPG as its not made in Japan, I'd recommend trying Child of Light. It's an amazing turn based RPG that shouldn't take more than 10-12 hours. Also doesn't have a plat, but again think of it as seeing if you enjoy the turn based combat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kkulifay said:

Is the Hard Difficulty play through rough on FF 7 for JRPG beginners?

FF7 (original) has cheats if you struggle which don't affect trophies so it's very approachable for beginners. Many people are put off by the polygon graphics and can't stomach to finish it with it's rough textures and such so just bare that in mind. It hasn't aged well visually (most PS1 games haven't tbf). 

I actually think P5R is the perfect entry point for a JRPG noob. The game is flashy, stylish, and the battle system is simplistic, but very rewarding when you get creative. It has all the upside of a JRPG with little downside other than being a long game. However, mix it in with another game and you will likely avoid burnout.

• Like 2

Persona 5 was the first JRPG I ever played and loved it so I'd definitely recommend you play that.
Some other decent ones I have played are:
Final Fantasy XV (Although being considered one of the worst FF games I ended up really enjoying it)
Scarlet Nexus
Nier Automata
You could also maybe try branching off into Yakuza as the newest one Like a Dragon is turn based 
I am still trying to play as many possible so sorry I can't recommend much 

• Like 1

I'd say Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age is great first JRPG. Very easy to become overpowered if needed and IMO was not very demanding even though you basically do everything the game has to offer.

I'd also suggest Yakuza: Like a Dragon, I started it this week and am in love with it. One of the most refreshing games to me in a while though you would miss many references to other games that influence it, though I think it would still be enjoyable. 

I have heard only good things about Persona 5 Royal if you want to stick with what you own already. 

• Like 3