Never Played a JRPG - Which One?

kkulifay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Platinum Persona 5. It's pretty easy.

On 20/02/2022 at 9:58 AM, DaveMcDamage said:

Would you guys consider the Yakuza saga JRPG? Not just the Dragon game but the entire series. I mean you pretty much role play multiple characters and it has upgrades and all sorts of roleplay elements. 

LAD..yes. The rest... no. Hardly any rpg elements. its more an action-brawler / semi-open beat em up. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:06 PM, Sassy_Hekapoo said:

If you don't mind traveling back a few gens, Shadow Hearts was always a joy.

I was literally coming here to say this. I second Shadow Hearts wholeheartedly, SH (and Shadow Hearts: Covenant) are the games that made me fall in love with the genre.

Unfortunately, the games are pretty pricey to get ahold of now, and OP may not have a PS2. The first two Shadow Hearts (alongside Haunting Ground and the first four Fatal Frame Games) are some of the few games that, if they were to be remastered/remade exclusively for the PS5, would convince me to buy one immediately (or if the Hellblade sequel ever makes its way to PS5). 

Back on topic, OP, out of the two you mentioned, I’d recommend Persona 5 Royal. Just go in with the idea that you might not “get” the game for the first few hours though (even though I’m familiar with JRPGs, I didn’t). There’s A LOT going on in that game. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 2

Do people not get that suggesting the likes of Persona 5 might be the worst thing you could suggest to someone wanting to get into the genre? Beyond being a 100 hour game, it like the other modern personas take an eternity to actually start. There are people who can't even handle 30 mins of largely exposition at the start and Persona 5 is far beyond that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Do people not get that suggesting the likes of Persona 5 might be the worst thing you could suggest to someone wanting to get into the genre? Beyond being a 100 hour game, it like the other modern personas take an eternity to actually start. There are people who can't even handle 30 mins of largely exposition at the start and Persona 5 is far beyond that.

Naive question, but does your argument pertain to the Royal edition as well?

I tried the demo of Dragon Quest 11 and I thought the turn base system was too slow and boring. I’m wondering if I need to try an action based real-time JRPG to get my feet wet first, then eventually ease into the turn base gameplay. The latest Ni No Kuni to be released appears to fit that mold, right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kkulifay said:

I tried the demo of Dragon Quest 11 and I thought the turn base system was too slow and boring. I’m wondering if I need to try an action based real-time JRPG to get my feet wet first, then eventually ease into the turn base gameplay. The latest Ni No Kuni to be released appears to fit that mold, right?

It does. The game takes a good 45 minutes or longer to even get into the “main story.” Haven’t played Ni No Kuni, but something like that (or possibly even something like Kingdom Hearts-takes awhile to get into as well, but has real-time action combat) might be more your speed. Persona 5 Royal is turn-based. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kkulifay said:

I haven't played the Royal Edition but I assume yes. You get very short gameplay at the start, then a long set up for everything, at times you get short heavily tutorialised gameplay, and then finally after several hours you get some reign over actually playing the game. The problem isn't that the gameplay is turnbased, in fact Persona 5 does that well. The issue is that the time to where the game gives you control over itself is huge. 

• Like 1

Ni no Kuni does get into things a lot more quickly. It's not quite a real-time battle system in the sense that, while you can move about freely, you still have to navigate menus to preform actions. It was an charming, fun game to play casually, especially if collecting monsters sounds appealing. Bit of warning, the plat does asks you to pretty much 100% everything and a good chunk of it is based on eventually getting lucky with rare encounters, recruit rates and item drops.

It's pretty much sacrilege to fans of the first game to say this, but I actually had a lot more fun with the second game. Gameranx has a good first impressions video of Ni no Kuni 2, if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyEsMLyCr80

• Like 1

If anyone is recommending a JRPG that takes a while to finish? it would need an engrossing story.

Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes if you Ignore the ancient mechanics

Yakuza, Starting at Kiwami and not Zero as Zero is lengthy, Is it a JRPG blah blah who cares, I've eaten a F'n curry named after Kiryu in Shinjuku

Engrossing stories? Basically Persona 3 to 5, Broken record moment but let's not mess around. I don't know one bad SMT game and I do get that Persona is s spin off but it did allot for the SMT franchise and the JRPG community in whole.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1