Counterfeit Vita memory cards?

darkalphar

I recently dug out my old PS VIta and am considering slowly going through my Vita game backlog. However I also found out that my 64 GB memory card had become corrupted, although it's still somewhat usable; just can't use the full 64 GB lest I risk game or saves suddenly becoming corrupted. While I still have few smaller memory cards, I'd like to buy one or two more as backup in future should the ones I have become corrupted as well.

The question is, are there any counterfeit versions out there? If yes, how do I spot them? I don't want to risk getting fake ones.

16 minutes ago, darkalphar said:

The question is, are there any counterfeit versions out there? If yes, how do I spot them? I don't want to risk getting fake ones.

I have yet to see an actual 3rd party Vita memory cards, and I’ve been looking. I can confidently say there aren’t any counterfeit cards out there. 

The 64 Gb cards from Sony have had problems from the beginning. I avoided picking up that size because of that and went with 32 and 16 Gb cards instead. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I have yet to see an actual 3rd party Vita memory cards, and I’ve been looking. I can confidently say there aren’t any counterfeit cards out there. 

The 64 Gb cards from Sony have had problems from the beginning. I avoided picking up that size because of that and went with 32 and 16 Gb cards instead. 

In that case I'll go for 16 and 32 GB versions instead. Thanks for the quick reply!

As someone who gets involved with fake games and accessories, I can safely say that there are not counterfeit memory and game cards readily available for the VITA system. The demand just isn't there compared to other systems. SD2Vita cards are a different ballgame entirely.

• Like 1

Just be aware that cards are now very expensive. I don't think there are counterfeit ones, but anything is possible. Given that there were never 3rd party cards, the risk of counterfeit cards is pretty low. You are probably better off using the local classifieds to try to find a lightly used one, than to buy off eBay.

If you plan on buying new in package, may God have mercy on your bank account

10 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Just be aware that cards are now very expensive. I don't think there are counterfeit ones, but anything is possible. Given that there were never 3rd party cards, the risk of counterfeit cards is pretty low. You are probably better off using the local classifieds to try to find a lightly used one, than to buy off eBay.

If you plan on buying new in package, may God have mercy on your bank account

i got lucky and got a like new, still used though, 32gb Vita card off ebay for 50$. The new ones are going for roughly 200$

I've never liked the idea of the Vita memory cards. I mean you've basically got a bricked Vita unless you have one in, it's practically useless without one.

Unless you're playing something rare like Katamari Damacy Nobita which just happens to have save data on the Vita card itself (for some unknown reason)

I elected to have several 16GB ones because of course, if your one memory card fails, you've lost everything and literally your Vita is unusable at that point.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I don't know if you're allowed to recommend SD2VITA on this site, but it's a complete game changer, and you don't have to do any of the other more nefarious things to your console if you don't want to. The Vita memory cards always were, and always will be a complete joke. Overly expensive and prone to corrupting. The PS VITA store is going down someday, and for my money the most reliable way to keep your digital games is on any other sd card than what Sony provided back in the day.

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I've never liked the idea of the Vita memory cards. I mean you've basically got a bricked Vita unless you have one in, it's practically useless without one.

Unless you're playing something rare like Katamari Damacy Nobita which just happens to have save data on the Vita card itself (for some unknown reason)

I elected to have several 16GB ones because of course, if your one memory card fails, you've lost everything and literally your Vita is unusable at that point.

I think the memory cards are one of the reasons why the Vita sold so poorly. Expensive propriety memory cards that didn't even come with the console, whereas the 3DS just took standard SD cards and came ready with a 2-4GB one already inserted in the console right out of the box.

All the games that do save to the cart seem to be games that released in the first 2 years of the system's life, for some reason.

My 32GB memory card has been going strong for nearly a decade now, never had any issues with it. Did get a 16GB one as backup which I've never used and is still sealed. Kinda regret not getting another 32GB card, but even at the time when they were still new, they still cost something like £50-60, and I didn't really wanna spend that on something I may never use.

Was considering getting a 64GB card when it came out, but the price put me off (I think it was like £90-100 at launch), and then people were mentioning issues with corruption pretty early on. I think I've actually yet to encounter someone who has a 64GB card that HASN'T had it corrupt or have other issues at some point, so I really can't recommend it based on how many testimonials I've heard at least.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I think the memory cards are one of the reasons why the Vita sold so poorly. Expensive propriety memory cards that didn't even come with the console, whereas the 3DS just took standard SD cards and came ready with a 2-4GB one already inserted in the console right out of the box.

All the games that do save to the cart seem to be games that released in the first 2 years of the system's life, for some reason.

My 32GB memory card has been going strong for nearly a decade now, never had any issues with it. Did get a 16GB one as backup which I've never used and is still sealed. Kinda regret not getting another 32GB card, but even at the time when they were still new, they still cost something like £50-60, and I didn't really wanna spend that on something I may never use.

Was considering getting a 64GB card when it came out, but the price put me off (I think it was like £90-100 at launch), and then people were mentioning issues with corruption pretty early on. I think I've actually yet to encounter someone who has a 64GB card that HASN'T had it corrupt or have other issues at some point, so I really can't recommend it based on how many testimonials I've heard at least.

Yeah I remember when first getting my Vita I thought, fuck those prices, I am gonna wait for a sale, and that never happened.... They just got more expensive.

Honestly it is probably the biggest failure of the Vita, even more so than Sony just ignoring the system entirely. I mean Vita wasn't cheap to begin with, but an extra 30% hidden price tag for memory even before you have even bought a game. Has honestly been an expensive endeavor being a Vita supporter.

• Like 1

This is one more reason I wish Sony would've gone with mSDXC cards instead of coming up with a proprietary one. mSDXC cards are generally reliable. I haven't had one experience corruption. Nintendo made the right move to use them on the Switch... maybe they were thinking "if someone can put a larger mSDXC card in for the money, that's more games we can sell from the eShop".

No more 64 GB Vita cards for me. If mine fails, I'll buy two 32 GB ones to replace it.

On 1/4/2022 at 0:44 AM, RadiantFlamberge said:

This is one more reason I wish Sony would've gone with mSDXC cards instead of coming up with a proprietary one. mSDXC cards are generally reliable. I haven't had one experience corruption. Nintendo made the right move to use them on the Switch... maybe they were thinking "if someone can put a larger mSDXC card in for the money, that's more games we can sell from the eShop".

No more 64 GB Vita cards for me. If mine fails, I'll buy two 32 GB ones to replace it.

i have a 64 and it had corrupted twice, so i got a 32gb recently.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, enaysoft said:

The 2000 model addressed that issue by providing 1 GB of internal memory. Not a huge amount of space, but at least you'd only need a memory card if you were wanting to download a bigger game.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:

I've had a 64 GB memory card for (at a guess) around 5 years now and I've not had any issues with it at all, so you have encountered 1 person now :P. You're more likely to hear about people who have had issues than people who haven't, as people generally don't post about things when they work as intended, and are more likely to post to complain when they don't.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 32gb, did you get it over ebay or some legit store, I just worry about fakes.

It should arrive in the next week. the pics are official and as others said there are not fakes as Sony never licensed it. I will post pics when it arrives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323755470766?hash=item4b61546fae:g:4TgAAOSwGwlaJf4-

Edited by Void

If you have PS+ then uploading saves is easy and best on Vita, as it won’t even close a game. Otherwise you have to backup the entire game’s file onto your PC via the crappy file manager which is asinine. Don’t know why it didn’t just work like PSP did that was seamless and so simple to manage via the program they had. Probably in part to help sell PS+ convenience. ?So few games bothered to store the save on the cart, so it’s not like that was the reason (plus digital was for every game anyway).

I got 32GB, it’s a decent enough size. And Amazon shipped three. So I got two free lol, gave one to a former friend and the extra I think is in my PSTV? 

I just have individual games sometimes corrupt over time. Has to fresh install LBP Vita when I got the plat. Was a pain. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, DaivRules said:

I'm sort of responding to the post you made in a closed thread, but you're saying this listing is for OEM cards? 

You're certain that the packaging and shit just isn't insanely close to the real deal, like we see with DualShock 3s? 

53 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm sort of responding to the post you made in a closed thread, but you're saying this listing is for OEM cards? 

You're certain that the packaging and shit just isn't insanely close to the real deal, like we see with DualShock 3s? 

I’m 100% positive that the images on the listing are fabricated (to not show the Sony printing) and anyone who orders one of these will just get a regular old Sony Vita memory card without packaging. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

I’m 100% positive that the images on the listing are fabricated (to not show the Sony printing) and anyone who orders one of these will just get a regular old Sony Vita memory card without packaging. 

I also noticed the prices for the 64GB card. Yep, these are OEM, lmao.