Question about the PlayStation App

RaiantheMajin

Do I need to get a PS4 in order to use the app? I installed the app on my smartphone, and it is not letting me see messages. Messages were closed for the PS Vita and PS3 last year.

If I need to, I can always get a PS4 from a pawn shop later this year. I primarily play on the PS Vita and messaging for boosting sessions will get tricky for me since not everyone has Discord.

It says some features require a PS4 or PS5 console although that's for things like party groups and remote downloads , but I didn't think messaging would be one of them. You can access the messaging feature on PC via the My Playstation website, maybe try that and see if it works, and then try using the app. 

The messages icon is at the very top left by the way. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:35 AM, Lava_Yuki said:

It says some features require a PS4 or PS5 console although that's for things like party groups and remote downloads , but I didn't think messaging would be one of them. You can access the messaging feature on PC via the MyPlaystation website, maybe try that and see if it works, and then try using the app. 

The messages icon is at the very top left by the way. 

MyPlayStation was discontinued months ago. If I recall correctly signing into the PlayStation website will only let you edit account details, privacy settings and such. No more social features such as friends list, viewing and sending messages, notifications etc.

To answer the OP’s question: Yes you can use the app without owning a PS4 and/or PS5. In fact, it’s the only way to use the messaging function if your only on PS3/Vita. For quite some time now PS3 messages have become exclusive to that console (the PS3 messaging system has always worked differently to all other PlayStation consoles anyway). As for the Vita’s messaging app, that was closed back in July 2, 2021.

Edited by PMV
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, PMV said:

My PlayStation was discontinued months ago. If I recall correctly signing into the PlayStation website will only let you edit account details, privacy settings and such. No more social features such as friends list, viewing and sending messages, notifications etc.

To answer the OP’s question: Yes you can use the app without owning a PS4 and/or PS5. In fact, it’s the only way to use the messaging function if your only on PS3/Vita. For quite some time now PS3 messages have become exclusive to that console (the PS3 messaging system has always worked differently to all other PlayStation consoles anyway). As for the Vita’s messaging app, that was closed back in July 2, 2021.

The PlayStation App works for my smartphone since I can view all my trophies and my friends list.

It keeps saying communications features can't be used right now and that I need to sign into a PS4 or PS5. Everything else works except for messaging.

Edited by RaiantheMajin