The (hopefully), ultimate starter guide

SzzPS

41 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Have you got any tips for the Deep Dives?

Hey, the deep dives can be made pretty easy because they’re the exact same every-time minus where enemies might spawn and how many might spawn (enemy spawner locations are concrete). The normal deep dives are on hazard 3-4 so I feel they don’t need any explaining but the elite deep dive is much more difficult. Level 1 is hazard 4.5, 2 is 5 and 3 is 5.5. 

Now because it’s a set seed what I would do is do some “throwaway games”, by this I mean id solely play a few games to learn the spawns of the enemy spawners, nitra and the mission objective items. I feel this is crucial because the longer you wait the more enemies you’ll have to fight and possibly multiple bulk detonaters which happened to me. Once I felt I had stage one down I’d go to stage 2 and do the same figure out the best strategy and have a path ready to be as quick and efficient as possible.

Finally I feel the elite deep dive solo is really hard without the correct overclocks atm, so what I did was wait until I had the beer which gives you 30% extra health, wait for randoms to join my lobby and tell them all to drink it. 3/4 of us had mics and this was crucial, once the game started we all go to our own tasks. Me playing the gunner I was controlling the crowds of enemies and  spawners. 1 engineer was grabbing the aquaroq and the other engineer was grabbing the morkite and the other gunner was getting nitra. Delegating tasks allowed us to clear the stages with little to no problems because it meant rather than taking forever and dealing with 5 plus swarms in a stage we dealt with 2 max.

That’s all there is to It I feel like grab a team with mics suitable classes (this will change depending on the dives every week which is why I’ve gave general tips) That 30% extra health beer is a game changer. Other than that just take a few games to learn the stage and have a plan which you and your team stick too.

On 09/01/2022 at 4:44 PM, DysectorZA said:

Thanks for the tips @SzzPS - The game is quite confusing and still getting used to it. But quite enjoying it with some friends.

No worries I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SzzPS said:

Hey, the deep dives can be made pretty easy because they’re the exact same every-time minus where enemies might spawn and how many might spawn (enemy spawner locations are concrete). The normal deep dives are on hazard 3-4 so I feel they don’t need any explaining but the elite deep dive is much more difficult. Level 1 is hazard 4.5, 2 is 5 and 3 is 5.5. 

Now because it’s a set seed what I would do is do some “throwaway games”, by this I mean id solely play a few games to learn the spawns of the enemy spawners, nitra and the mission objective items. I feel this is crucial because the longer you wait the more enemies you’ll have to fight and possibly multiple bulk detonaters which happened to me. Once I felt I had stage one down I’d go to stage 2 and do the same figure out the best strategy and have a path ready to be as quick and efficient as possible.

Finally I feel the elite deep dive solo is really hard without the correct overclocks atm, so what I did was wait until I had the beer which gives you 30% extra health, wait for randoms to join my lobby and tell them all to drink it. 3/4 of us had mics and this was crucial, once the game started we all go to our own tasks. Me playing the gunner I was controlling the crowds of enemies and  spawners. 1 engineer was grabbing the aquaroq and the other engineer was grabbing the morkite and the other gunner was getting nitra. Delegating tasks allowed us to clear the stages with little to no problems because it meant rather than taking forever and dealing with 5 plus swarms in a stage we dealt with 2 max.

That’s all there is to It I feel like grab a team with mics suitable classes (this will change depending on the dives every week which is why I’ve gave general tips) That 30% extra health beer is a game changer. Other than that just take a few games to learn the stage and have a plan which you and your team stick too.

No worries I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Thank you for the info :).

56 minutes ago, HusKy said:

How are the promotions going? Seems like reaching 4x Gold takes more time than 500 missions? :|

Hit my first silver promotion last night so what’s that only 22 more total to go? ? But in all seriousness the game is fun so it hurts less and yep 10000% you’ll end up doing way more than 500 missions before 4 gold promos, I hit silver 1 with I think 188 missions so you do the maths ?

• Like 3

Start with driller or gunner because you have a strong primary to help you through the initial learning period. Un-upgraded engineer shotgun is hideously weak, and he's got almost no secondary ammo. Grab those initial levels with a stronger gun.

Your early focus should be on completing missions, not chopping every possible mineral out of each cave. Perk points, unlocking higher difficulties, getting new weapons — all of those things trigger from completed missions. Five quick in-and-out strikes will power you up much more than three marathons — and if you fail one of those marathons, it's awful. Miss a machine event, a secret room, a secondary objective, leave a man behind, leave treasure behind, whatever it takes, but get those completions!

There are advanced challenges in some caves that you can't activate until you promote a dwarf at level 25. So after grabbing initial subsistence-level upgrades (ammo, damage, faster reload etc. etc.), your intermediate goal is to reach 25 with someone. If you're new and a level-25 teammate turns one of these things on, it'll probably just wipe you anyway. Another reason to head for the escape pod quick and get a completion in the bank rather than scouring the cave for machines you can't profit from yet.

Mine nitra diligently, and coordinate resupply with your team. Taking someone's ammo box at the wrong time can kill him. Remember, tools need ammo too, so hogging resupplies may mean more bullets for you, but also fewer platforms/ziplines/tunnels provided by others.

Hold L1 to see outlines of your team through the ground.

Haz 4 games with a couple minutes on the clock are death traps right now. Your pod opens directly into a swarm, and the mission has already been lost. Late joining works just fine on 3, but above that, you really want everyone to drop together at the beginning. This will probably improve later as we all learn the ropes.

All resources are shared, so don't worry about who mined what. You will get those crafting materials, beer ingredients, etc. no matter who physically turned them in.

It's OK to die a lot if you die near your team. Revives are free, unlimited, and fast — it's the time spent reaching the downed dwarf that gets you. Scouts are the worst, because they go off somewhere by themselves and die in another county.

Run the perk Awareness to survive being grabbed.

Watch out for spitball infectors! They're big green plant stalks with a powerful ranged attack, and when a tunnel opens into a big room, they're often positioned to gun you down right as you enter. Engineer's secondaries are good for killing them, because you can get that quick pop of damage on one trigger pull instead of having to wait for many shots to land.

Frozen enemies take triple damage. It can be a godsend in hard fights.

• Like 1

The 4 Dwarves to Gold 1 is the ultimate grind in this game but I’m gonna go for it, as far as I can while enjoying it anyway. 

I have my engineer at bronze 2 so far just by doing all assignments, focusing on Double XP missions and joining some late game missions nearing completion.