Good shmup games for a beginner?

Thedah

After watching Daigo's Kemonomichi fighting game event where some players were actually competing in shmup games, I'd like to try some shmup games myself. What are some good ones on PlayStation to get my feet wet with the genre? I don't want something too hard right away. I want to gradually improve to the point where I can tackle the harder games eventually.

• Like 4

There are a lot of great shoot em ups on Arcade Archives which I would recommend, they all have save states so not only can you enjoy those beautiful games but if you're desperate to maintain 100%, well it's pretty easy to save scum your game every 5 seconds until you get the highscore you need.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4612-arcade-archives-gradius-ii

For a bunch of good games including the one above you can get this collection

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/9004-arcade-classics-anniversary-collection/

Although for platinum you will need to play some other games to get platinum, some not as good.

Gradius II is sometimes called Vulcan Venture, have a quick look and see what you think

Ikaraga is arguably the greatest shoot em up of all time, but wow, you're going to need to "learn the piano" type skills in order to get platinum on that one.

Avoid it, even though it's so good.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

Caladrius Blaze is on sale for below $4 on PSN right now. It's from a classic Japanese shmup developer, MOSS, primarily for the Raiden series. I wouldn't say it's among the best in the genre but I enjoyed it and the price is solid. It also lets you customize your loadout which I found satisfying to do when going for a 1 Credit Clear post-game. I think it also has a pretty good trophy list which will make you replay the game multiple times if you're into trophy hunting.

I believe it has infinite continues so the challenge comes from gitting gud, scoring high enough for trophies, finding hidden collectibles and beating it with a 1CC.

Ginga Force is another crazy underrated shmup but it's probably more expensive right now. It has some challenging modes, upgradeable ships and a few unique ideas thrown in there.

Not sure if it's available outside Japan but Ketsui might be the best bullet hell shmup ever. Might be more fun for hardcore players though and those who play for scoring.

Battle Garegga is a great classic one with a difficulty level that adapts to you which makes it a bit unique. It's an easy platinum if you consider that a good thing.

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 2

Well, there are plenty. It all depends on what you're looking for. Horizontal, vertical, stationary, twin-stick shooter, bullet hell, cute 'em up... ;)

From shmups I've played recently:

If you want a good one with an easy platinum trophy, I would recommend Cotton Reboot. There are several difficulties within this game.

Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype would be another good choice. The challenges in this game help me a lot to improve my skills. See videos below.

Of course, you can also do nothing wrong with the Capcom Arcade Stadium. There are some awesome shmups available as DLCs. Plus, you get a good variety of games.

I think R-Type Final 2 might also be a good choice for you. You can start on an easy difficulty and work your way up all to R-TYPER. But good luck with that.

But stay away from Euro shmups like Stellatum and stuff like that, if you want to improve. You won't learn anything from these type of games.

Edited by AvengedEvil
  • Like 3

As stated somewhere above Caladrius Blaze is a good starting point, the game has a median difficulty without being overly hard and is highly enjoyable. If you are able to handle CB, Raiden V: Director's Cut shouldn't be much of an issue for you and from that you can move up to more difficult games like Jamestown+ or Mamorukun Curse! . And if you still can't get enough of a challenge Ikaruga , Raiden IV: OverKill or Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours will more than likely satisfy your needs.

I am sure @Vergil has some more choices up his sleeve for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvengedEvil said:

There are of course also games like these:

But they won't improve your skills at all. 1f61c.png

It's perhaps true you won't improve your skills, but when I see Raiden, R-Type Final and Söldner-X 2 being name dropped in front of a beginner, that makes my heart race. lol

To me that feels a bit like name dropping Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV if someone was interested in Mario type platform games recommendations. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It's perhaps true you won't improve your skills, but when I see Raiden, R-Type Final and Söldner-X 2 being name dropped in front of a beginner, that makes my heart race. lol

To me that feels a bit like name dropping Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV if someone was interested in Mario type platform games recommendations. :)

Haha it's all good! I'm definitely looking for games that will improve my skill at this genre. I want to be able to platinum Raiden/Ikaruga/Dariusburst one day!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thedah said:

Haha it's all good! I'm definitely looking for games that will improve my skill at this genre. I want to be able to platinum Raiden/Ikaruga/Dariusburst one day!

Those are some VERY bold goals my friend. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

R-Type Final 2 and Söldner-X 2 can both be played on easy difficulties and still be a good challenge. Whenever you feel up the challenge, you can move on to a higher difficulty. And they never said that they want an easy platinum. My answer would have been different then. But I started gaming in the early 90s, every game was a challenge back then. ?

PS: I hope I don't sound like a dick.

Edited by AvengedEvil
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, AvengedEvil said:

R-Type Final 2 and Söldner-X 2 can both be played on easy difficulties and still be a good challenge. Whenever you feel up the challenge, you can move on to a higher difficulty. And they never said that they want an easy platinum. My answer would have been different then. But I started gaming in the early 90s, every game was a challenge back then. 1f602.png

Haha nah you're not a dick, I am also from the early 90s, and well, my suggestions are based pretty much on how easy it is to get 100% / platinum, or not.

Some of these games are nigh on impossible for me, who has a fair amount of experience.

Sure I guess doesn't matter if you the user is not too bothered about getting all the trophies. I had great fun playing Sina Mora, despite it being possibly the hardest shooter to ever get a 100% trophy list. Not the sort of game I'd recommend for a newbie (especially the games where when you lose a life you get put back to a checkpoint..)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AvengedEvil said:

R-Type Final 2 and Söldner-X 2 can both be played on easy difficulties and still be a good challenge. Whenever you feel up the challenge, you can move on to a higher difficulty. And they never said that they want an easy platinum. My answer would have been different then. But I started gaming in the early 90s, every game was a challenge back then. 1f602.png

Saw some good looking titles to try in here. Btw I’m from the early 80’s and one of my all time fave NES games to play was Lifeforce (aka Salamander). Managed to beat it as a kid and completed the Arcade Archives version of it as an adult.  You’re right though everything did seem like a challenge back then. Unless there were cheat codes, it was up to you to git gud. Lol. Lifeforce’s gameplay still holds up being both horizontal and vertical scrolling but it is a tad on the short side and basic compared to newer schmups.

Edited by NMErickson
I can’t type
  • Like 1

Eastasiasoft has several easy ones. Void Gore, Crysis Wing, Project Starship and Takotan. You can check trailers on their YouTube account. 

Ratalaika Games has several without a real challenge, but I did really like Super Destronaut DX. 

Sometimes You has a few like I, AI and Stellatum.

Last easy and worthwhile I played was Inferno 2.

12 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Caladrius Blaze is on sale for below $4 on PSN right now. It's from a classic Japanese shmup developer, MOSS, primarily for the Raiden series. I wouldn't say it's among the best in the genre but I enjoyed it and the price is solid. It also lets you customize your loadout which I found satisfying to do when going for a 1 Credit Clear post-game. I think it also has a pretty good trophy list which will make you replay the game multiple times if you're into trophy hunting.

I believe it has infinite continues so the challenge comes from gitting gud, scoring high enough for trophies, finding hidden collectibles and beating it with a 1CC.

Ginga Force is another crazy underrated shmup but it's probably more expensive right now. It has some challenging modes, upgradeable ships and a few unique ideas thrown in there.

Not sure if it's available outside Japan but Ketsui might be the best bullet hell shmup ever. Might be more fun for hardcore players though and those who play for scoring.

Battle Garegga is a great classic one with a difficulty level that adapts to you which makes it a bit unique. It's an easy platinum if you consider that a good thing.

I think Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are both at sale as the Seventia Collection on (EU) PSN right now. I don't think the game is ezpz though, despite what the +10% plat rarity suggests (I think you can unlock some kind of good weapon by grinding gametime, but there are still a few challenges I'm not sure I can do). However the game is imo a bit higher quality than the standard shmup, so I can see why it might not be on sale for less than 5€ in a while.

I was also eager to try a Shmup recently, so I did... My choice was Sine Mora EX, and I can tell you that it was not very hard (the PS4 version seems to be easier than the PS3 and Vita version), and it was an absolute blast from start to finish. 

That game was a very pleasant surprise, and I can highly recommend it! :) From one beginner to another. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

I think Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are both at sale as the Seventia Collection on (EU) PSN right now. I don't think the game is ezpz though, despite what the +10% plat rarity suggests (I think you can unlock some kind of good weapon by grinding gametime, but there are still a few challenges I'm not sure I can do). However the game is imo a bit higher quality than the standard shmup, so I can see why it might not be on sale for less than 5€ in a while.

I think they are beginner friendly in the sense that they are not difficult to see through to the end and they have upgrades that will give you a reward, mix things up and make you stronger continuously. Maybe I'm forgetting which site I'm on and misinterpreting things if "beginner friendly = easy plat" though. I don't care about completion percentage personally.