E3 2022 canceled

MidnightDragon

15 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Truthfully, if it was fully canceled, nothing of value would be lost. E3 has been increasingly irrelevant for years.

This^

E3 and the other showcases have been irrelevant for years, plus all the major announcements leak out months beforehand anyway. Even when they are on, I just watch the trailers anyway because the inbetween stuff bores the pants off me.

Just now, enaysoft said:

Makes you wonder if attending gameshows will ever be a thing again.

At the same time, no idea why they don't just have an event on PSN or whereever, where suddenly 20 demos of all the latest games are out, all the ones used in the shows, and only listed on the store for 2 days or so.

Then we can have a gameshow, right in our homes...The tech is already there...

That’s a cool idea 

• Like 1

Just now, enaysoft said:

Makes you wonder if attending gameshows will ever be a thing again.

At the same time, no idea why they don't just have an event on PSN or whereever, where suddenly 20 demos of all the latest games are out, all the ones used in the shows, and only listed on the store for 2 days or so.

Then we can have a gameshow, right in our homes...The tech is already there...

Even without the pandemic, E3 has been in the shitter for years, as have most of the other similar events, because Youtube, Twitch and the inevitable leaks have effectively rendered the whole concept obsolete.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Even without the pandemic, E3 has been in the shitter for years, as have most of the other similar events, because Youtube, Twitch and the inevitable leaks have effectively rendered the whole concept obsolete.

TGS has been the same, even before the pandemic. And ironically you get a better signal and more coverage NOT being at the event since the wifi and signal is so awful, you can't even get a signal to call someone up sometimes using your phone because there's so much network traffic.

I'm more than happy than ever to inevitably watch every company "leak" their games well before time.

Suspiciously there's rarely any leaks for games at any other time of the year, I don't know why they don't just call them "Surprise early Previews" and drop the pretense.

• Like 2

I love how everyone says there's no point in E3 anymore... but doesn't actually give anything in terms of a replacement.

Either way I'm disappointed and I hope they do it digitally like they did last year.

I mean I guess companies could just do their own thing like one for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft but it has to be more than that like even more specifically for specific companies like ones for Square Enix, Atlus, Sega, etc.

I suppose I could take something like that but there will be a massive void in the Summer without something like E3.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

On 08/01/2022 at 10:51 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

I love how everyone says there's no point in E3 anymore... but doesn't actually give anything in terms of a replacement.

Either way I'm disappointed and I hope they do it digitally like they did last year.

I mean I guess companies could just do their own thing like one for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft but it has to be more than that like even more specifically for specific companies like ones for Square Enix, Atlus, Sega, etc.

I suppose I could take something like that but there will be a massive void in the Summer without something like E3.

E3 and similar large scale events are going the way of dodo due to collective public disinterest and will likely be replaced by smaller scale events the individual developers and publisher host themselves via Youtube, Twitch and Discord where they can reach their audience directly, without all the expense and hassle that E3 brings with it. E3 hasn't been a part of my Summer gaming plans for several years now and frankly I don't miss it or any of the other big gaming promo events that are fizzling out alongside it. 

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, AJ_Radio said:

The internet killed E3, just like it has for a great many things. With the COVID pandemic, everyone is maintaining a social distancing rule, so the idea of in-person is completely out the window.

The internet killed my physical, printed strategy guides that I used to love to collect along with games and all of my pages of computer paper with hastily-scribbled-down cheat codes. ?

• Like 4

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think it's probably dead tbh. Nintendo and Sony figured out that they could just host their own presentation without the fees and hassle of E3 and still draw the exact same amount of interest. Wouldn't be surprised if other big companies started doing the same around this time. Not to mention that there are other events through the year where companies can show off their games and hardware.

I'm definitely surprised to see it, but my guess is interest from publishers just wasn't there to justify it.

• Like 2

Someone explain to me how this doesn't mean that there is now a massive ass void of literal no gaming news now.

Because that's exactly what it means as far as I'm concerned.

And don't just post assumption... because that's all anyone gives me whenever I ask this. Assumptions. Provide evidence. Provide links. BACK. UP. YOUR. SO. CALLED. 'CORRECT'. CLAIMS.

I'll give you.... hmm.... 2 weeks. That seems fair.

?

I get to post what's probably my most controversial post on this forum ever... twice? PERFECTION ?

Someone explain to me how this doesn't mean that there is now a massive ass void of literal no gaming news now.

Because that's exactly what it means as far as I'm concerned.

And don't just post assumption... because that's all anyone gives me whenever I ask this. Assumptions. Provide evidence. Provide links. BACK. UP. YOUR. SO. CALLED. 'CORRECT'. CLAIMS.

I'll give you.... hmm.... 2 weeks. That seems fair.

?

This thread just reminded me that E3 used to be a big thing in the past. I always looked forward to it whenever it was held every year just to scoop in on the latest news for games and hardware. Interesting to see how it's gone from a venue that used to hold the genesis of most of my gaming memories to an empty shell devoided of life. You'll forever live in my memory, E3.

BlackJadedGuanaco-size_restricted.gif

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

To quote you: don't just post assumption... because that's all anyone gives me whenever I ask this. Assumptions. Provide evidence. Provide links. BACK. UP. YOUR. SO. CALLED. 'CORRECT'. CLAIMS. You get what you give, which in this case, is nothing.

This sentiment is comparable to when people have to endure a few months without an AAA game releasing and decide the gaming industry is dead because they've never so much as touched an indie game in their lives. It's like saying eating out is dead because McDonalds closed. Etc. If you haven't been able to find gaming news outside of E3, it is solely because you haven't looked.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

To quote you: don't just post assumption... because that's all anyone gives me whenever I ask this. Assumptions. Provide evidence. Provide links. BACK. UP. YOUR. SO. CALLED. 'CORRECT'. CLAIMS. You get what you give, which in this case, is nothing.

This sentiment is comparable to when people have to endure a few months without an AAA game releasing and decide the gaming industry is dead because they've never so much as touched an indie game in their lives. It's like saying eating out is dead because McDonalds closed. Etc. If you haven't been able to find gaming news outside of E3, it is solely because you haven't looked.

Everything outside of it is irrelevant mostly. State of Plays contain nothing of interest except for the very rare occasion. Only Showcases and Nintendo Directs do.

This also isn't including companies who also need to give updates and now can just twiddle their thumbs and act like they don't have to give updates on their games when they really do. Companies like Square Enix, Capcom, Atlus, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

I see no reason to assume that these companies will do their own events instead. Let alone Nintendo or Sony either