Ancestral_Spirit

Re-seals passed off as new

16 posts in this topic

So I've ordered quite a few PS4 and Switch games as of late, and I generally speaking prefer brand new copies of games as opposed to 2nd hand ones.

This way if there's any DLC I'm guaranteed it, and everything in the game case, whether it be collectors edition items or the game disc itself, I know it'll be in pristine condition.

 

However......

Recently i ordered a copy of the PS3 game Venetica from an Amazon seller. It was advertised as brand new and sealed and only cost us around £20, so we bagged it.

When it arrived however, we knew for a fact that this wasn't a brand new sealed copy, but a re-seal.

EU copies of PS3 and PS4 games always have a tear strip near the bottom end of the case, this had no tear strip. The other problem was, it was a damned Blu-Ray case and NOT a PS3 case.

Naturally we contacted the seller, they apologised and said they must have sent us the wrong one and gave us a full refund.

 

Next we ordered Void Terrarium Limited Edition PS4 from TheGameCollection.

Again, it was being advertised as brand new and sealed, so we bought it.

Upon receiving it, we found the the entire box was scraped on all sides and corners, and had a tear at the top of the fold out part, slap bang in the middle. The only way this could happened is if someone had ragged the box open from the top and tore it in the process. Yet the box had an immaculate plastic seal around it.

The CD was also unsealed which would be very unusual for a NISA CE.

All the items were still in the box, so we contacted TheGameCollection and explained the situation. We didn't want a refund tbh since it was still the cheapest ANYWHERE and that was including 2nd hand copies.

 

Fast forward to today and we just received our copy of Crypt of The Necrodancer Collector's Edition for PS4, another order from Amazon.

The box is sealed. The cardboard corners look a little bent out of shape, but that can happen with Amazon packages so thought nothing of it. The sealing felt a little flimsy.

The steelbook......... has scratches so deep your fingers get caught on them, and rust is setting in near the spine of the box. Another re-seal  :/

I've just contacted Amazon, and they've sent me a return label and I'm getting a replacement. Here's hoping they don't just re-seal the one I'm sending them back!

 

So this is a warning to anyone that likes brand new games, or likes collecting sealed stuff. Don't judge that box by its cover, something shady may be lurking underneath, and recently there's an awful lot of re-seals being passed off as brand new sealed copies  :/

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I've just contacted Amazon, and they've sent me a return label and I'm getting a replacement. Here's hoping they don't just re-seal the one I'm sending them back!


I am extremely skeptical Amazon would ever spend the payroll and supplies necessary to re-seal a game considering they pass off all returns to Amazon Warehouse and they just sell them as is. 
 

I used to deal with re-seal scammers working retail in the mid to late 90s with mostly SNES and later N64 games as they would try to buy an expensive game, throw in a cheaper title, re-seal and try to return it. It wasn’t that hard to spot them and deny the returns. 
 

Sad to see people are still perpetuating this so many years later. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally buy my deals for used and new off ebay. Normally games come as described with pictures and question asked before hand. 

 

The only company that when I buy new and comes opened with no wrap and a stupid sticker on them even when new is stupid GAMESTOP..

Some games are resealed with a very sticky sticker so they know you opened it. While others have that price sticker on it. 90% of the time I get them like this even when purchased NEW.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I normally buy my deals for used and new off ebay. Normally games come as described with pictures and question asked before hand. 

 

The only company that when I buy new and comes opened with no wrap and a stupid sticker on them even when new is stupid GAMESTOP..

 

Well all of these had pictures, but they were all the same standard retail advertising pictures. When i see brand new and sealed, that's what i expect, especially from a bigger named company.

 

We have the same here in the UK with GAME. It's why i specifically ask them for brand new sealed copies when i go in store, otherwise for the most part, i just don't buy it.

My partner once tried to buy ICO from GAME years ago, the one with the cardboard sleeve. They tried to put a sticker on it and he stopped them and said; 'you put that sticker on it, i ain't buying it!'

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:


I am extremely skeptical Amazon would ever spend the payroll and supplies necessary to re-seal a game considering they pass off all returns to Amazon Warehouse and they just sell them as is. 
 

Sad to see people are still perpetuating this so many years later. 

I'd agree with you, but Crypt of The Necrodancer wasn't just fulfilled by Amazon, it was Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. (Copy pasted from my order history)

 

The other 2: Venetica was fulfilled by Amazon and Void Terrarium was sold by TheGameCollection

 

Here's some pics of the damage to the steelbook:

https://i.imgur.com/GSAKb2Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JYvWfQE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UddIBUF.jpg

 

The 'scuffs' on the first picture are slightly rusty, but my camera can't quite capture it. Picture 3 is probably the worst one. I did take a fourth picture of a scuff near the opening of the case as well, but my phone decided to crash right after taking it  :/

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'd agree with you, but Crypt of The Necrodancer wasn't just fulfilled by Amazon, it was Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. (Copy pasted from my order history)

 

Amazon notoriously mixes third-party inventory with its own. Doesn't matter who it's sold by, anything you buy from them could arrive as a reseal or counterfeit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'd agree with you, but Crypt of The Necrodancer wasn't just fulfilled by Amazon, it was Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. (Copy pasted from my order history)


I have no doubt you got re-sealed games, directly from Amazon. I’m doubting resealing them was an intentional act by Amazon and instead likely the result of shenanigans that Amazon should have caught before accepting goods to sell but instead passed through as a result of some lowly warehouse workers more concerned with avoiding being fired for being part of the lowest performing quarter of employees.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, DaivRules said:


I have no doubt you got re-sealed games, directly from Amazon. I’m doubting resealing them was an intentional act by Amazon and instead likely the result of shenanigans that Amazon should have caught before accepting goods to sell but instead passed through as a result of some lowly warehouse workers more concerned with avoiding being fired for being part of the lowest performing quarter of employees.

 

Well i just received my replacement copy.

This time the steelbook is in half........ I'm done

Ordered it from a different site, since Amazon have now said they have no more available, even though you can order 1 from their site right now.

 

I'm unsure if you were classing me as complaining about this as a '1st world problem' since you brought in the lowly warehouse workers line, but with my job title I am considered one of those lowly warehouse workers, and we're supposed to report stuff like this to our bosses.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of the time I rented a game from Redbox back when Redbox was still renting out games. Inside the case was some printed paper copy somebody took of the CD to fool the machine. So I'm not surprised that there would be people on Amazon, either the official supplier or 3rd Party that would try to cheap out on stuff if they feel that they can get away with it. I can't speak for the warehouse workers, for all I know it was something that genuinely slipped past them or there was some unspoken rule concerning some of the products. Frankly, with all the stuff corporate gets up to, I wouldn't be surprised.

 

My advice,  try to research the reviews concerning the sellers. I know I've avoided some bad sellers by looking at the Amazon reviews and I've really only got scammed once due to the seller being from a foreign country that I couldn't read the comments very well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'm unsure if you were classing me as complaining about this as a '1st world problem' since you brought in the lowly warehouse workers line, but with my job title I am considered one of those lowly warehouse workers, and we're supposed to report stuff like this to our bosses.

 

I wasn't classing you as anything, it was a throw away reference and nothing to do with criticizing your legitimate problem. Just giving my take on the disfunction of Amazon being a poorly run operation and suggesting Hanlon's Razor is a more likely explanation. Having worked retail under circumstances like Amazon holds it's warehouse workers to, we both know there's a fair number of people who know which corners they can cut, and they do. The "lowly warehouse workers" are what makes Amazon's retail function they way it has to help their success. My comment was subtle sarcasm that Amazon values them by constantly holding them in fear of meeting absurd expectations to keep their jobs. People who do the right things like you do should be appreciated.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

My advice,  try to research the reviews concerning the sellers. I know I've avoided some bad sellers by looking at the Amazon reviews and I've really only got scammed once due to the seller being from a foreign country that I couldn't read the comments very well.

 

There's even problems with this though, depending on how the seller is selling through Amazon. Amazon allows sellers to comingle their products in the Amazon warehouses, so even if you buy from Seller A, you might actually get the product from Seller B for a number of different reasons (for example, Seller A's product might be in a warehouse 200 miles away whereas Seller B's is only 20 miles away). This can happen if the product is "Fulfilled by Amazon" because that means it is shipped from an Amazon warehouse even if the seller is 3rd party. If the item is sold and shipped by the 3rd party, then this shouldn't be a problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

 

There's even problems with this though, depending on how the seller is selling through Amazon. Amazon allows sellers to comingle their products in the Amazon warehouses, so even if you buy from Seller A, you might actually get the product from Seller B for a number of different reasons (for example, Seller A's product might be in a warehouse 200 miles away whereas Seller B's is only 20 miles away). This can happen if the product is "Fulfilled by Amazon" because that means it is shipped from an Amazon warehouse even if the seller is 3rd party. If the item is sold and shipped by the 3rd party, then this shouldn't be a problem.

 

Fair enough. Dealing with multiple sellers running through one big corporation sounds like a nightmare to keep track of specific products, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened to @Ancestral_Spirit

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

I normally buy my deals for used and new off ebay. Normally games come as described with pictures and question asked before hand. 

 

The only company that when I buy new and comes opened with no wrap and a stupid sticker on them even when new is stupid GAMESTOP..

Some games are resealed with a very sticky sticker so they know you opened it. While others have that price sticker on it. 90% of the time I get them like this even when purchased NEW.

This right here. eBay has its share of scumbags, but more often than not I can see pictures beforehand of the exact product arriving to my home, rather than the generic retail imagery on Amazon store pages. I've been burned enough times after having been sent obvious returns and damaged boxes on collector's editions that Amazon is the last place I order from if I am picking up something I actually want to display on my shelf. Gamestop is even worse, and I'd sooner order a "new" game from Amazon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 6:02 PM, DaivRules said:

 

I wasn't classing you as anything, it was a throw away reference and nothing to do with criticizing your legitimate problem. Just giving my take on the disfunction of Amazon being a poorly run operation and suggesting Hanlon's Razor is a more likely explanation. Having worked retail under circumstances like Amazon holds it's warehouse workers to, we both know there's a fair number of people who know which corners they can cut, and they do. The "lowly warehouse workers" are what makes Amazon's retail function they way it has to help their success. My comment was subtle sarcasm that Amazon values them by constantly holding them in fear of meeting absurd expectations to keep their jobs. People who do the right things like you do should be appreciated.

 

Ah my bad, must have been the way I read it  >.<

I'm not really blaming the warehouse workers as such, I'm just saying that if we notice problems at my 'insert generic retail store' here, we're supposed to report them to our bosses, but then again if you don't know what you're looking for or have no interest in the items you're handling, I can see it very easily slipping through the cracks.

 

I think I'm finding it more annoying now, since I've been going through a bad string of them at the moment. I ordered a PS3 copy of Awakened Fate Ultimatum from an eBayer called Music Magpie. My partner said we should take the risk since an English EU copy is pretty pricey these day. Music Magpie are god awful for quality control, and never post pictures of what they're selling AT ALL. I told him it was just gonna be a German copy like everyone else is selling and lo and behold, German box. Got a decent discount for it though, since no where did they mention that the box was in German on their listing, so at least we have a physical copy of the game.

 

At least this time it was for the correct console unlike Cursed Crusade and Alone in the Dark.

Told us they were both EU PS3 copies.

Cursed Crusade was PS3 and American.

Alone in The Dark was XBox360  xD

On 1/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

This right here. eBay has its share of scumbags, but more often than not I can see pictures beforehand of the exact product arriving to my home, rather than the generic retail imagery on Amazon store pages. I've been burned enough times after having been sent obvious returns and damaged boxes on collector's editions that Amazon is the last place I order from if I am picking up something I actually want to display on my shelf. Gamestop is even worse, and I'd sooner order a "new" game from Amazon.

 

Had this issue with GAME in the UK, always use generic pics of what they're selling.

I'd bought and brand new copy of Sly Cooper 4 Thieves in Time, thinking maybe it'll be open but the copy will be new.

Opened the box..... Tea ring stain mark where someone had been resting their mug on the manual, scratched disc and the DLC code had been used. Needless to say I wasn't much impressed given that i had also had to pay delivery on the damn thing as well  :/

 

When I go to GAME these days, I asked for a SEALED copy.

If it's not sealed or doesn't have the EU Playstation tear strip at the bottom, for the most part, I just won't buy it anymore.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I buy new at GameStop, either preorder or online. Otherwise I don’t trust it and get it

from elsewhere, usually Amazon, eBay, or Best Buy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had issues with this in the past as well. I bought a "new" copy of FF13 for PS3 a few years ago, and it was very clearly a reseal, it had Y-folds (though not very good ones), but no tear strip, and like your copy of Venetica, it was in a standard blu-ray case too, not even the original PS3 one. I bought it off ebay and ended up just getting a partial refund for it. Disc was in very good condition at least, but did have a few marks, definitely wasn't brand new.

 

I actually had a seller on ebay ban me from buying from them once because I received a resealed game from them, contacted them about it, and ended up getting a refund. Only found out I was banned a year or two later when trying to buy something else, and it kept telling me I was unable to purchase the item "at this time", or something along those lines. I checked out the seller, and realised it was the exact same seller I'd bought the resealed game from a year or two prior. Googled the exact message I was getting when I was trying to buy the item, and apparently it means the seller has blacklisted you. Can't say I was too upset, at least it meant I was possibly avoiding another reseal, though it's always made me wish I could also blacklist certain sellers from appearing in my search results.

 

Last reseal I think I got was from Amazon, directly from Amazon too, not even just fulfilled by them, which surprised me. It was a copy of Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception; and Amazon seemed to be the only place I could still find new copies on. When I received it, it looked like it had been vacuumed packaged into some thin cellophane that was clinging to the case for dear life. The insert was all wavy and crinkled, and needless to say, I was disappointed having received a "brand new" copy in this condition. The disc was surprisingly perfectly fine at least, and I ended up keeping it since I couldn't find new copies anywhere else, I just replaced the case (the paper insert was actually fine, somehow, it was just the plastic holding it that was crinkled).

 

I'm surprised to hear of your issues with Game Collection. I've bought from them a lot and all the games I've bought have indeed been new at least, though I have received a few damaged games from them in the past (worst ones being a 2 disc game with one of the hinges on the flap holding the first disc being broken, and another where the spindle holding the disc was destroyed. The return and replacement processes were smooth at least). Sucks to hear even they're not safe from reseals. Sounds like maybe it was a returned copy that they sent to you or something. I did receive a clearly resealed copy of We Happy Few from Base last year, in rather bad shrink wrapping (very similar to the one Utawarerumono came in), with a loose disc to boot. Was kinda shocked about that because I've never had such issues with Base before, and haven't since (yet). I returned it and they refunded me no questions asked at least, and got an actual new copy elsewhere.

 

And don't even get me started on GAME... I try to avoid them like the plague whenever possible nowadays.

 

Sorry for the rotten luck you seem to be having. It's always extremely disappointing paying for new, often paying a bit extra than it goes for used, and then you get a used copy anyway.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.