Dying Light 2 - 100% Completion Thoughts?

Anxiety

Apparently Dying Light 2 will take 500 hours to complete. Thoughts? 
DBA5-CD2-A-B9-FB-47-C3-9-F7-C-A2-C03-B42

I’m not getting it Day One because there is so many other games coming out that day but I might pick it up after I complete Dying Light 1 if I find a boosting partner. 

• Like 1

Dying Light imo was excellent, both from a SP and MP aspect with the latter being something I rarely take part in, especially where trophies are involved.

I've been looking forward to DL2 since it was announced and honestly with the amount of trophy spam and filler I do these days, i'd take 500 hours of a AAA game tomorrow.

Jokes aside, even if it takes 100 hours to plat, so long as the content, story, world and gameplay to name but a few are on point and acceptable, for me personally, i'll take it. More so off the back of how good and enjoyable DL was.

• Like 1

Game was a 50/50 for me before the 500hr stuff came up. I didn't really enjoy my time with the first one back in the day when I didn't play on playstation yet.

Reading that twitter I think it still can be a ~100hr platinum.

There's other games for a "100%" which would take many more hours but isn't necessary for the platinum.

Random game that popped into my mind is Far Cry 6. You can collect 400+ documents and non are needed and getting them all would easily increase the platinum by 50hrs alone.

Still 100 or 500 is a crazy difference.

Very curious if PowerPyx gets an early release to let us know. 

• Like 1

I hope the platinum doesn't require you to get 100% completion. 500 hours is a lot of time. Hopefully it's just the branching story paths that are making the game so long. I heard the main story by itself is 30 hours. The DL Twitter page also said that it'd be around 70-80 hours for just a main story playthrough + all side quests.

• Like 1

Dying Light 2’s world changes with each major decision that you make in the game (at least, that’s what it has been marketed as). I assume this has resulted in multiple endings, amongst other changes. Hitting the 500 hour mark likely requires you to run through the game multiple times, making different choices each time to experience a minor difference in the world.

9 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I saw some of the comments on twitter, and was shocked some people prefer a short game, and said they cancel preorder cause its "500" hrs. I mean from a trophy hunter standapoint, maybe. But if I enjoy the game, I surely wouldnt want content to end.

Personally, I prefer a “shorter” game. I struggle to focus on one game at a time, so 100-150 hours is about my maximum. I find that a lot of games that boast about the sheer length of their games often pad them out with pointless fetch quests, forcing you back and forth across massive areas of the map, or other tedious points which could easily be condensed into a cut scene or something. I think my preferred length of game would probably be somewhere in the 60-80 hour range. Long enough that I can fully enjoy the game, but short enough that I don’t get bored with it. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Personally, I prefer a “shorter” game. I struggle to focus on one game at a time, so 100-150 hours is about my maximum. I find that a lot of games that boast about the sheer length of their games often pad them out with pointless fetch quests, forcing you back and forth across massive areas of the map, or other tedious points which could easily be condensed into a cut scene or something. I think my preferred length of game would probably be somewhere in the 60-80 hour range. Long enough that I can fully enjoy the game, but short enough that I don’t get bored with it. 

Absolutely this. I remember the slug that was AC:Valhalla platinum because it just have so much filler content. Even if I enjoy the game, it's the certain part of it that I like, not every single fetch quest there is - sure, witcher 3 was enjoyable to do, both main and sidequests, but it doesn't mean I want to find every single question mark on the map with some (at certain point) useless treasure. 

Packed 50-100h game > 500h filler game. 

• Like 1

Awful. And it just goes to show that devs are still focused on cramming their games with as much filler as possible. Granted, they do mention that the 500 hours is for 100% completion, so that may or may not affect the platinum, and they also say that you'll be able to finish quicker than that if you're only doing the story and side quests, but still... This isn't something to be bragging about. Give me quality over quantity any day. I also don't trust that this won't be a bug-filled broken mess upon launch either, further making the entire 500 hour experience even worse. But either way, developers really need to learn that less is often more when it comes to games. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, willmill97 said:

I’m not complaining about a 500 hour platinum if the game is as fun as DL1. Bring it on!

I agree. I'm still working towards to platinum for DL1 and it's one of my favourite games. 

I'm looking forward to it. 

2 minutes ago, ACowboy848 said:

My post was delete that say this trophy will be in New Game plus 100% completion of the game. 

The First DLC Trophy New Game Plus 100% completion. 

Was I right?

Keep this post in mind.

You mean this post in another thread that wasn’t deleted??

If you click on your profile, you can find all your previous posts. 

On 1/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, NERVergoproxy said:

I saw some of the comments on twitter, and was shocked some people prefer a short game, and said they cancel preorder cause its "500" hrs. I mean from a trophy hunter standapoint, maybe. But if I enjoy the game, I surely wouldnt want content to end.

It becomes a matter of time for people. Look at the games coming out in Feb-March alone. If you wanted to play multiple games, a 500hr investment is insanity. I'm someone who has tons of time as I'm lucky enough to work from home on my own time. But even I have a limit, which is around 250hrs for SP games that I enjoy (Witcher, Yakuza, Persona, Assassin's Creed) as some examples. Now I game between 5-8hrs a day, work load pending... and even those 4 examples took me around a month + for time when mixed in with MP games to play with friends.

If you're someone who commutes to work and back, maybe has kids, etc etc. Let's say you get 1-2hrs a night (if you're lucky). 500hrs is just unfathomable.

Edit: For the record, I loved DL1 so I'll be playing 2 regardless of the time requirement.

On 1/9/2022 at 5:00 AM, Mlergberg said:

Packed 50-100h game > 500h filler game. 

1000%

Although I still don't mind filler, but just in moderation. If you give me 50hrs of packed content + like 15hrs of filler, I'll accept that. Mix things in.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 7:23 PM, NERVergoproxy said:

The question is, whether it's 100 hours of solid content + 400 hours of junk/filler with pointless collectibles. 

That's why people are probably apprehensive. I'm not sure if it's possible to have a team develop 500 hours worth of quality content that is not made ala Ubisoft style where you're rescuing a a bajillion outposts and climbing 6000 vantage points. 

Anyway, at this point nobody knows until the game actually releases. With that said, I'm withholding complete judgment for now. 

• Like 1

In my experience game developers have no idea how long their games actually are and vastly oversell it by at least x2 the amount.

There are many times devs have said games take 5-8 hours and you can finish it in 1-2. Infamous First Light...first blood i dont remember its name was one of them

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Puertoking654 said:

As long as you can have fun in those 500 hours. A platinum list like Fortnite for example... where it's doing the same damn thing for 800 hours, probably the worst trophy/achievement list of all time.

Completely agree all around. 

• Like 1