rampantMoose

Tips for finding balloons

8 posts in this topic

I thought I would start a thread where people can share tips on how to find balloons.

So far I have only found one balloon that I stumbled across randomly.

All tips and tricks are welcome.

Turn the music off. When close to a balloon it makes some weird music sounds. That helped me a lot 

Edited by Deluziion90

The tip I see everywhere and have benefited from myself is to switch the map from 2D to 3D, zoom right in on a river at its source (where it starts) and pan your way down the river's path until you hear the record scratching sound effect - locate the balloon nearby and press R3 to put a marker on it. 

I found rocket wing suiting across the map and putting a way point at the other side so i never lost a sense of direction then going bit further north then repeat so i covered most of the map because most are on cliffs and mountains.

Then i finished up by going up and down the rivers to find thr rest. 

Listening to the sound/ or using the 3d map never worked for me because you have to be pretty close to the balloon to trigger the sound and the world is so huge

Edited by dannyswfc9

I went in straight lines across the map, starting all the way from the West I then headed East until I hit the wall, then moved North or South a little, then made a new line from East to West. Rinsed and repeated. Worked out better this way than trying to follow mountain lines or river lines where I'd mostly end up retracing my steps. More systematic. I also made sure this particular trophy was done while I was multi-tasking, like we were watching Naruto or I was on the phone or something. It's pretty mindless, just gotta keep your eyes peeled. I never used the MAP Sound thing, as my hearing isn't so good.

I usually used the map's 3D mode, zoomed almost all the way in and turned off all sounds besides the sound effects. Then searched around the map until I heard balloon screeching.

You can also just used the PowerPyx trophy guide, there's a guide for around 150 balloons I think.

- Turn off the music and only  FX sound listen the drums 
- Use the map very close in 3D and navigate

- just at the star of All rivers and afluentes are 1 ballon. 

I have found 100 balloons so far and I find it amazing that there are still 400+ floating around somewhere out there, especially given that it takes me at least a minute in a wingsuit to find a new one - unfortunately, it's such a waste of time just looking for them, at least they could have tied some in-game reward to finding them, or they could be revealed on the map once you get really close to them. Oh well, I haven't used the 3d map yet, let's see how helpful it is.

Edit: Well, the 3d map makes finding the balloons much easier! Still it took me around 1 hour to clean up 30+ balloons. My advice is do it late, as then you'll have a lot of money and you can buy helicopter tickets to the locations immediately instead of tagging the spots.

Edited by det_gittes