50 trophies and no platinum. Thoughts please.

snakebit10

2 hours ago, Pyramat said:

This is hilarious. Sony really does give zero f***s about the trophy system nowadays.

Most of the time I don't think it is Sony restricting. In the past few years they have lifted many restrictions, though due to all of the past restrictions, some developers might not be aware of the changes made. Though it is a case by case basis, so I don't know what happened here. 

5 hours ago, cosmicicecream said:

I think it's funny too. But maybe they knew it is not a short game, but also knew it does not deserve a platinum. So maybe someone does care about the system.

Does not deserve a platinum? If this game does not deserve a plat how come Ratalaika game does?

Still crazy to see a list with 50 trophies and no plat. I wonder if this might be a mistake

of some kind?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Does not deserve a platinum? If this game does not deserve a plat how come Ratalaika game does?

If I'm not mistaken, the developer has to pay a fee to add a platinum.  Ratalaika purposely markets to the trophy crowd, so they'd no doubt happily pay for the platinum in order to sell more units, whereas this developer may not feel paying for a platinum is worth it/justified for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IntroPhenom said:

The difference is that TWD S2 has 40 trophies, but only 8 in the first episode (base game). The rest are DLC trophies.

Edited by arcanehornet_
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Pieroluc said:

Most of the time I don't think it is Sony restricting. In the past few years they have lifted many restrictions, though due to all of the past restrictions, some developers might not be aware of the changes made. Though it is a case by case basis, so I don't know what happened here. 

That's exactly what I mean. If Sony did care, they would be restricting like they used to. It just makes no sense that a game like Resident Evil 4 doesn't have a plat but games like Zippy the Circle get a platinum for each 5 minute "episode". Either require smaller/shorter games to have 100% lists like they used to, or just make it mandatory for every game to have a platinum (like how every Xbox game released nowadays has 1000G). It would be just be nice if they had some sort of standardized rules for trophy lists like when trophies were first introduced.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Pyramat said:

That's exactly what I mean. If Sony did care, they would be restricting like they used to. It just makes no sense that a game like Resident Evil 4 doesn't have a plat but games like Zippy the Circle get a platinum for each 5 minute "episode". Either require smaller/shorter games to have 100% lists like they used to, or just make it mandatory for every game to have a platinum (like how every Xbox game released nowadays has 1000G). It would be just be nice if they had some sort of standardized rules for trophy lists like when trophies were first introduced.

Well that is because well certain developers certain intentionally aim to monetise the inclusion of a quick platinum with their product. From my understanding for smaller studios (only? or all not sure exactly) a platinum in your game may require an extra fee, for certain developers this fee is absolutely worth it. For others they either don't understand the benefit or don't feel there would be one by paying the fee. It really depends on the game. I doubt RE4 saw a huge decline in sales due to trophy hunters since it is not a very niche or trophy hunter based game for example. Road bustle for example on the other hand would see a massive decline in sales I would predict if a plat would be omitted.

Now on the topic if Sony should mandate one, eh I'm not too fussed either way. I will play games with both plats or non-plats if I really wish to play a game, if I am on the fence a platinum certainly may make it more appealing. 

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the developer has to pay a fee to add a platinum.  Ratalaika purposely markets to the trophy crowd, so they'd no doubt happily pay for the platinum in order to sell more units, whereas this developer may not feel paying for a platinum is worth it/justified for them.

Exactly. The whole concept of platinum monetisation and fees for indy games is still a very new concept as for a long time most of these developers were not afforded the opportunity to even have platinums, some are now benefitting from their platinum based promotions for their games, others either don't understand or see the benefit in plats. 

Edited by Pieroluc

Looking at the point total, adding a platinum would still keep it within the point allotment.

I have learned something new. I did not realize there was a fee for adding a platinum trophy to the list. I've been trophy hunting almost 12 years and that is the first I can recall hearing about this.

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

I have learned something new. I did not realize there was a fee for adding a platinum trophy to the list. I've been trophy hunting almost 12 years and that is the first I can recall hearing about this.

I'm pretty sure the fee to add a platinum trophy is just speculation. I've seen it mentioned before but I've never seen it confirmed by an official source (like a developer or publisher).

• Like 2

Huh, weird one that :hmm:

I guess it doesn’t really matter though - I mean…. It’s not like you actually have to do anything to get the platinum trophy in other games.

It’s useful as a quick indication that you got all the other trophies that do have requirements…

…but really, anyone on this forum is also using this site, so they’ll have an S-Rank on thier profile to tell then the same info, so… :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney

22 minutes ago, Pyramat said:

I'm pretty sure the fee to add a platinum trophy is just speculation. I've seen it mentioned before but I've never seen it confirmed by an official source (like a developer or publisher).

Ok. I guess there isn't no official statement from Sony either?

3 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

At that point it certainly is speculation, I have seen it all over this site, so take my comments from above certainly with a grain of salt, but if it is true, it would be a logical excuse for no plat. Other than others like having to change a game's trophy list late on (I have heard stories of a developer claiming they didn't add a platinum when they realised they could have because it would be too difficult to code in or something for the game's release) though again I don't remember which game or developer, so it ain't really matter. And developers of course, just not seeing a necessity.

2 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

Sony hasn't ever released any of their trophy-related developer guidelines publicly. I had seen a couple bad screenshots of early developer guidelines, but they were from back in the PS3 days. In the last 5-6 years I've only seen speculation and pretty vague responses from people claiming to be developers discussing anything trophy related.

I think this summer I'm going to get all my crap together and apply to be a PlayStation developer, so I can see for myself what the current situation of all this stuff (patch costs, platinum costs, platinum requirements, points requirements, publishing routines) really is.

7 minutes ago, Pieroluc said:

At that point it certainly is speculation, I have seen it all over this site, so take my comments from above certainly with a grain of salt, but if it is true, it would be a logical excuse for no plat. Other than others like having to change a game's trophy list late on (I have heard stories of a developer claiming they didn't add a platinum when they realised they could have because it would be too difficult to code in or something for the game's release) though again I don't remember which game or developer, so it ain't really matter. And developers of course, just not seeing a necessity.

Thanks for the help. I'm not even sure developers know the requirements. When the Bugsnax DLC was announced last year when asked if there would be trophies, originally they said no because they didn't know a free update DLC could have trophies. That has since changed and are adding trophies. 

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony hasn't ever released any of their trophy-related developer guidelines publicly. I had seen a couple bad screenshots of early developer guidelines, but they were from back in the PS3 days. In the last 5-6 years I've only seen speculation and pretty vague responses from people claiming to be developers discussing anything trophy related.

I think this summer I'm going to get all my crap together and apply to be a PlayStation developer, so I can see for myself what the current situation of all this stuff (patch costs, platinum costs, platinum requirements, points requirements, publishing routines) really is.

That would be great, especially if you could share any information with the community here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

Not at all. The best way to think about trophy lists is to keep in mind that every list has a maximum number of points that can be allocated to it for both 100% games and platinum games. Each trophy grade has a specific amount of points it is worth, for example, bronze trophies are worth 15 points.

Ignoring the platinum point allocation limit, the limit for PS3/PS4/Vita era games is 315 points for the initial 100% list. The maximum number of trophies a 100% base list can have from that era is 21 trophies, or in otherwords, 21 Bronze trophies (15x21=315). When the PS5 released, Sony increased these maximum points that a base trophy list can have, which is an additional reason to why PS4 and PS5 lists cannot share the same list together. To date, there are 5 PS5 games that are taking advantage of this increased threshold for nonplatinum games. Those games are as followed:

Crimsonland (465 points)

:gold: 1 :silver: 4 :bronze: 17

Merchant of the Skies (600 points)

:gold: 5 :silver: 3 :bronze: 4

Recompile (630 points)

:gold: 1 :silver: 12 :bronze: 12

Tesla Force (855 points)

:gold: 7 :silver: 5 :bronze: 5

Coastline Flight Simulator (945 points)

:gold: 2 :silver: 3 :bronze: 45

Some other trivia is that DLC lists also had their point allocation increased for PS5. While it is largely unused at present due to most developers following PS3/PS4/Vita era guidelines, it may be probable that more PS5 devs take advantage of being allowed to have larger DLC lists. For those who don't know, the maximum number of points a DLC can have in the PS3/PS4/Vita era is 195. Final Fantasy XIV is the first game to take advantage of PS5's increased DLC point allocation to have a bigger DLC list of 255points. It may be probable as the industry eventually moves away from PS4 development that more devs will take advantage of the increased points for both trophy lists and dlcs.

Thanks for typing all that out. This is the most trophies in a base game and no plat. I wonder how many points is the max now for no platinum. This has 945, I can't imagine it being much more than that.

• Like 2