Least difficult/most efficient route to Platinum?

I've always read that doing everything on Death March is the best way to obtain the Plat, but recently my buddy said it's easier to do everything on Normal and do a 'quick' NG+ run on Death March. Which would be easier/faster? A lot of the misc trophies would definitely be easier on Normal. Opinions? Suggestions?

Seemed to me that deathmarch was difficult for about 15mins.  I knocked it back to easy once the trophy popped.   I guess it depends how fast the proposed quick run is on deathmarch.   I don t think it would add more than a couple hours playing on deathmarch vs normal, might have to reload a couple saves.   

Death March isn't that bad. The big change is the inability to heal while meditating, so you need food and potions to help give you an edge in a fight. Some fights can be troublesome, especially if you're ill prepared.

Learn to dodge and use your Witcher signs effectively. Death March is plenty doable on the first playthrough. If an enemy is too difficult then you might consider leveling up a bit.

Honestly I'd suggest doing "everything" on deathmarch. For stuff like crossbow headshots and stuff you can save upload the save to the cloud lower the difficulty get whatever combat trophy on easy then put your original save back on deleting the easy mode you just did so your deathmarch play is uninterrupted anyou only have to complete the main story not the dlc on deathmarch. Honestly it's only really hard in the first area that's basically a tutorial area after that when it opens up it's not that hard at all just fiddle with your signs till you get them down learn to dodge and it's easy peasy and I suck at hard modes so that tell me it's not bad at all it's basically normal mode for most games if even that

I'd suggest against 2 play throughs cause the game is huge and long and it will take time just getting yourself prepared for the end game trying to do all of it twice would probably burn you out on it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm just gonna tough it out on Death March. Now the question is: do I start it now while I have more time to play or wait for the free PS5 upgrade? I made the mistake of trying it on PC first so it feels so sluggish on PS4. Lol

If you have the DLC, you can start Blood and Wine to get a bunch equipment, track down high quality equipment/ schematics and then make a new game plus save on Death March.

I did it in 2 playthroughs the first time around but for the stack I will be using the above method. If you have the time for it now, I'd recommend starting it. Remember, you just need to beat the campaign on DM, you can drop the difficulty afterwards and for the DLC  you will most certainly want to.

Currently going through the game myself. I'd personally recommend just starting on Death March difficulty. It's not as hard as you initially may think it is. After short while you'll be used to it and have some decent armour/weapons to handle it. Two playthroughs is a waste of time, to be honest.

Other than that just know your missables before you jump into it and what to look out for. Make manual saves after every checkpoint in a quest in case you mess up and need to fall back a bit on progress to correct :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

If playing the Complete Edition (or if you have the DLC), Death March is much easier because of the Gourmet ability. I'd say 4/10 personally, mostly for the first 3 or 4 hours of learning the gameplay strategy, which is basically using and upgrading Quen, dodging and attacking. I never worried about blocking or parrying, mostly because it doesn't work on various enemies types. Dodge always works and gives you those invincibility frames. I Platinumed the regular version before I bought the DLC. The Gourmet ability in the Blood and Wine DLC (included from the start with the Complete Edition) is a game changer. It is available from the beginning of the game, you simply need 1 skill point (if I remember correct). You can also grab the Troll decoction which will also up your vitality. This really isn't a reflex or dexterity based game, more about knowing what items and skills to use.

Edited by cobaltTangerine
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

As others have said, Death March is more of a challenge during the early part of the game but definitely doable. Your progress will be a little slower, but I'm not minding. The game definitely lives up to the hype. I'm about 100 hours in and the Gourmet vitality regenerating skill is indeed a must-have.