Witchfire (FPS)

RadiantFlamberge

The Astronauts' Unreal Engine 4 FPS, Witchfire, looks promising. They are aiming at a PC-first release, with no console ports currently planned (having said that, I'd like to see a PS5 version eventually). About whether or not it's a "looter shooter", Adrian Chmielarz said "Well, yes, but actually no". There is a little RNG influence but it will be mild, with no chance of a gamebreaking "lucky" drop.

Lately, Adrian Chmielarz & Co. said on Twitter that they'll dish more details about it next week. They will talk about the game's features and (finally!) a release date. Let's hope they'll have a more recent video going onto YT. I can't wait.

• Like 1

Wow, I'd forgotten about this entirely! Probably because there was no Steam page to add the game to my wishlist. Still looks great, and you have to admit that Witchfire is an awesome name. I'm surprised it hadn't been used for anything before.

For those that don't know, this is being developed by the founders of People Can Fly, who did both Painkiller and Bulletstorm. Their most recent game is The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Hopefully it won't be an Epic Games Store timed exclusive. EGS gave Vanishing of Ethan Carter away for free a month ago, Witchfire is built with Unreal Engine 4, and the devs have a history with Tim Sweeney. :hmm:

• Like 2

Ah, I've been anticipating this damn game since the 2017 trailer; happy to learn it hasn't been canceled. As soon as I heard Painkiller devs were involved, I was sold.

Hoping it hits consoles eventually, since I no longer own a PC fit for gaming.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Now it's out, and actually decent. Unfortunately it has turned out to be an Epic exclusive. The price is $40.

The hub you start in has some services like the Gun Room (choose a loadout), the Apothecary (you have to brew elixirs from angelica herbs... you don't get them for free like in Elden Ring/LOTF), and the Workshop (develop new weapons and magic spells/items). Leveling up is like a Souls game, with there being a Metanoia stat that boosts the Witchfire (your XP) gain rate. Witchery improves your magic spell recharge time. There are Endurance, Vitality, and Healing stats as well.

It's supposed to come to console (PS5 and XBSX I'm sure) later on. Here's a review I found on YouTube from someone with 30 hours into the game.