Curse of the Dead Gods - Boss No Damage runs (Bestiary entries miniguide)

Copanele

3 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

Hi.
I think Money/Relic/Stat rooms on 3rd biome are better then doing WeaponUp/Weapons rooms because the weapon rooms will only net you 1 rare elite (the 4th,5th,6th ones).
While the M/R/S rooms save scumming can reset and can grant you 0 to 4 IF your lucky enough. I dunno I'm still testing, sometimes the room stays the same which is odd. :/

So how do you rate the difficulty of this Platinum ? 1 - 10 ?

I remember that the Weapon rooms could give you more elites, not 100% sure about it though.

In terms of platinum...it's  abit tricky. I'd rate it at a 5/10 honestly just because of how it can be abused with save scumming. But that is me, because depending on your playstyle no damaging the bosses could turn into a chore.

Really, rating this game is pretty difficult in itself xD 

33 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I remember that the Weapon rooms could give you more elites, not 100% sure about it though.

In terms of platinum...it's  abit tricky. I'd rate it at a 5/10 honestly just because of how it can be abused with save scumming. But that is me, because depending on your playstyle no damaging the bosses could turn into a chore.

I am getting few 1-2-3 elites on the wave 1 and 2 and 3,, and then only 1  4-5-6 elite on wave 3...
I am loosing my mind on the grind, time spent save scumming, randomness, I'm thinking an 8/10 just because of all the bs factors lol.

Edited by Mr Green
More information

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Yes, I definitely got 2 elites in some of the money/stats maps. I don't think I ever saw more than two.. 

That said, I think I still prefer the weapons maps because of the speed. One single room, three waves of enemies. You could get it done in a minute or two with a suitably beefy weapon. 

As for difficulty, I'd give it a 6-7. Even with save scumming, I'd say it's harder than the 'average' plat. But it's definitely not as difficult as it could be.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Finch_III said:

As for difficulty, I'd give it a 6-7. Even with save scumming, I'd say it's harder than the 'average' plat. But it's definitely not as difficult as it could be.

I'd probably agree with that for the difficulty - obviously, numeric ratings on difficulty are about as objective as a diary entry, but I reckon playing early on, it was probably in the 8ish region, but a combination of some good strats to be found (not least on this thread!) ...

...and the Dead Cells update (which added some good weapons, including the Sword of Conjunctivitus)....

...probably pulls it down to the 6-7 region.

Tougher than the average, but not insurmountable, even for mediocre players like myself... provided they have the stamina for a long-haul grind towards the finish line! ?

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd probably agree with that for the difficulty - obviously, numeric ratings on difficulty are about as objective as a diary entry, but I reckon playing early on, it was probably in the 8ish region, but a combination of some good strats to be found (not least on this thread!) ...

...and the Dead Cells update (which added some good weapons, including the Sword of Conjunctivitus)....

...probably pulls it down to the 6-7 region.

Tougher than the average, but not insurmountable, even for mediocre players like myself... provided they have the stamina for a long-haul grind towards the finish line! 1f602.png

Speaking of Dead Cells, I've just started playing it. It's great! 

Have you got the platinum for that? How long did it take? I'm not particularly skilled at Metroid-style games. But I have managed to clear the game once so far (on my 7th effort due to an OP weapon combo).  

• Like 1

Just now, Finch_III said:

Speaking of Dead Cells, I've just started playing it. It's great! 

Have you got the platinum for that? How long did it take? I'm not particularly skilled at Metroid-style games. But I have managed to clear the game once so far (on my 7th effort due to an OP weapon combo).  

I do - it's a hell of a game!

I think I got the platinum in around 60-odd hours, with another 50-60 for all the DLC, however, if you are coming into it fresh now, your experience will likely be quite different.

Because all the DLC is added to the main game, and isn't separated, my guess is it will be a bit quicker than simply adding those two times together - as you'll be able to do DLC stuff at the same time...

...plus you won't have a 10-15 hour period of finding your sea-legs again after being away from the game for like 2 years in-between ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I do - it's a hell of a game!

I think I got the platinum in around 60-odd hours, with another 50-60 for all the DLC, however, if you are coming into it fresh now, your experience will likely be quite different.

Because all the DLC is added to the main game, and isn't separated, my guess is it will be a bit quicker than simply adding those two times together - as you'll be able to do DLC stuff at the same time...

...plus you won't have a 10-15 hour period of finding your sea-legs again after being away from the game for like 2 years in-between 1f602.png

Ha, nice. Thanks. I'd say 50-60 hours is a nice sweet spot. I've got the DLC too, but dunno if I'll go for the 100% – I definitely lose motivation once I have the platinum hahaha. 

Hey mates,

sorry for the dumb question, but how does the save-scumming work on PS5?
I backup my save into the cloud, disable auto-sync with the cloud and try to beat the boss. If I fail, I download my save-file and try again until I get it done without being hit once.
Then I re-enable my auto-sync until my next run? 

4 minutes ago, DerSaffe said:

Hey mates,

sorry for the dumb question, but how does the save-scumming work on PS5?
I backup my save into the cloud, disable auto-sync with the cloud and try to beat the boss. If I fail, I download my save-file and try again until I get it done without being hit once.
Then I re-enable my auto-sync until my next run? 

You don't have to enable / disable autosync entirely for all games, just disable it for that game. Go into the menu and just flip the slider for that specific game to off, and then it will revert to manual uploading / downloading, which you can do from the quick-select menu by hitting options on the game tile on the main XMB

Hi all, I unlocked Sword of Conjunctivius, may I ask how did you guy get this sword in a run? By reloading Weapon Altars, or reloading save scum the first floor?

I did not unlock the last level of Weapon Altar which needs 300 skulls yet to unlock 10% chance to spawn curse main weapons on the altars. Besides, I think it's also really low rate to spawn it too.

4 hours ago, gelukrait said:

Hi all, I unlocked Sword of Conjunctivius, may I ask how did you guy get this sword in a run? By reloading Weapon Altars, or reloading save scum the first floor?

I did not unlock the last level of Weapon Altar which needs 300 skulls yet to unlock 10% chance to spawn curse main weapons on the altars. Besides, I think it's also really low rate to spawn it too.

Hi,

I am reloading the weapon altars, until I get the sword. I am pretty sure you have to unlock the level of weapon altar which gives you a 10% chance to spawn a cursed weapon.

If you restored some altars as well, then you have an even higher chance to make it spawn.

I have unlocked 3 weapon altars and it pretty much spawns within the first 3-4 tries reloading the altars.

In addition, you can lock other weapons that you have unlocked, so they don´t spawn in the altar :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Hi,

I am reloading the weapon altars, until I get the sword. I am pretty sure you have to unlock the level of weapon altar which gives you a 10% chance to spawn a cursed weapon.

If you restored some altars as well, then you have an even higher chance to make it spawn.

I have unlocked 3 weapon altars and it pretty much spawns within the first 3-4 tries reloading the altars.

In addition, you can lock other weapons that you have unlocked, so they don´t spawn in the altar :)

Thanks for sharing, I still have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyway to lock default weapon, which is permanent.

2. Which is the fastest method to reloading weapon altars?

For the second question, my method is cost at least 2-3 mins for each reload, following these steps:

1. Loads game

2. Checks weapons

3. If not the one I wanted, choose random templete

4. Loads in to the first floor, then save and quit.

5. Loads the save

6. Waits till the "Saving..." on middle top of screen disappeared, then force quit the game (PS button > Quit Application)

7. Repeats step 1.

6 hours ago, gelukrait said:

Thanks for sharing, I still have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyway to lock default weapon, which is permanent.

2. Which is the fastest method to reloading weapon altars?

For the second question, my method is cost at least 2-3 mins for each reload, following these steps:

1. Loads game

2. Checks weapons

3. If not the one I wanted, choose random templete

4. Loads in to the first floor, then save and quit.

5. Loads the save

6. Waits till the "Saving..." on middle top of screen disappeared, then force quit the game (PS button > Quit Application)

7. Repeats step 1.

Firstly, I'd make sure that you've locked out as many other weapon choices as you can. You can go into the weapons screen and 'banish' a lot of the weapons that you've unlocked (unfortunately, I don't think you can prevent the 'starter' basic weapons from being included). But banished weapons won't show up in your runs. I traditionally lock out everything except the cursed weapons and most poison weapons (claws is my favourite). That should at least mean the spawn rates are decent. 

And you don't have to start with the Sword of C. If you've locked out loads of the weapon choices, you'll probably come across it at weapon altars and stuff mid-game, and you can pick it up then. 

However, to be honest, I didn't focus too much on making sure I got Sword of Conjunctivius in every run until I'd unlocked all the other trophies apart from Memoirs. Grinding the Elite enemies takes a long time (I'm not sure how far into the game you are), but if you're still unlocking stuff, then I don't think you need to be worrying about ticking off all the no-hit bosses just yet. I'd probably focus on learning their patterns with regular weapon combos etc. You'll still be picking up the odd no-hit victory against bosses and elites. And you won't have to spend loads of time reloading your manual saves if you die, which does get a bit tedious. 

Edited by Finch_III
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Finch_III said:

Firstly, I'd make sure that you've locked out as many other weapon choices as you can. You can go into the weapons screen and 'banish' a lot of the weapons that you've unlocked (unfortunately, I don't think you can prevent the 'starter' basic weapons from being included). But banished weapons won't show up in your runs. I traditionally lock out everything except the cursed weapons and most poison weapons (claws is my favourite). That should at least mean the spawn rates are decent. 

And you don't have to start with the Sword of C. If you've locked out loads of the weapon choices, you'll probably come across it at weapon altars and stuff mid-game, and you can pick it up then. 

However, to be honest, I didn't focus too much on making sure I got Sword of Conjunctivius in every run until I'd unlocked all the other trophies apart from Memoirs. Grinding the Elite enemies takes a long time (I'm not sure how far into the game you are), but if you're still unlocking stuff, then I don't think you need to be worrying about ticking off all the no-hit bosses just yet. I'd probably focus on learning their patterns with regular weapon combos etc. You'll still be picking up the odd no-hit victory against bosses and elites. And you won't have to spend loads of time reloading your manual saves if you die, which does get a bit tedious. 

Thank you for your helpful advice. I just started the game 4 days ago. About my process, I got 4/10 daily events; and at least 3/10 no hit each boss, except last boss I have not tried yet. I also tried save scum every floor that has 3 waves on act 2 & 3 for the elite farming.

But, I agree that your suggestion seems to be better way to enjoy the game. The time for setup before the run is brutal to me because I did not unlock enough weapon altars. So it took a lot of reloading times to make sure I could get the right weapon & relics.

Edited by gelukrait
Split paragraph

5 minutes ago, gelukrait said:

Thank you for your helpful advice. I just started the game 4 days ago. About my process, I got 4/10 daily events; and at least 3/10 no hit each boss, except last boss I have not tried yet. I also tried save scum every floor that has 3 waves on act 2 & 3 for the elite farming.

But, I agree that your suggestion seems to be better way to enjoy the game. The time for setup before the run is brutal to me because I did not unlock enough weapon altars. So it took a lot of reloading times to make sure I could get the right weapon & relics.

Yeah, I mean it took me 100 hours to platinum the game. I could have probably done it 20-30 hours quicker if I was trying to be ultra efficient, but I would have absolutely hated the game if I was just playing with the Sword of C build every single time, and rerolling altars over and over just to get it. 

Entirely up to you of course! Since I started playing a lot of rogue-likes, I usually have about 5-6 games on the go at the same time to avoid getting bored of one particular game – I used to be the type of gamer who just stuck with one game until I got the platinum. But now I juggle lots more because games like Curse of the Dead Gods do get a bit repetitive if it's all you're playing. 

This guide is honestly so rad. This game is fairly obscure so having tangible strategies/builds is so cool. 

Just started playing, 4 hours in and already cleared one major avatar boss thanks to the absurd claw/pistol combo

Would it be a good idea to just remove every other unlockable that isn't a pistol/claw from the drop pool? Or is there maybe some other decent weapon combos to look out for?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grample_Gust said:

This guide is honestly so rad. This game is fairly obscure so having tangible strategies/builds is so cool. 

Just started playing, 4 hours in and already cleared one major avatar boss thanks to the absurd claw/pistol combo

Would it be a good idea to just remove every other unlockable that isn't a pistol/claw from the drop pool? Or is there maybe some other decent weapon combos to look out for?

Glad it helped! 

Honestly every weapon is viable in one way or another (yeah even bombs. Apparently you can focus on the enemy by pressing L3, which i found out... today, while messing around in the game ).

The other loadouts I would recommend would be an elemental bow (if properly upgraded it does sick amounts of damage from afar), OR lightning whip builds. That weapon is broken beyond belief xD

The only weapons that I really have no idea of its usage are the throwing daggers. No matter what I tried, these weapons sucked. 

• Like 1

Just finished my first No-hit run! Here's some tips that have helped me immensely:

Weapon and relic rooms scale between temples.

Early-game weapon rooms & relics are extremely weak, usually offering low-level weapons/relics which you'll just replace later. I personally recommend focusing on stat-upgrades & gold rooms at the start. Gold rooms contain at least one random item and stat-upgrades are permanent, low-corruption-cost upgrades. With the Serpent's Bounty blessing, you'll end up with plenty of powerful weapons/relics to get a head-start anyway.

However, if you've began with a particularly awful round of starter weapons, prioritize weapon rooms to re-roll into something that will get you through the first temple. I prioritize my re-roll depending on the temple. If it's the poison cave temple or the lightning temple, choose a bow to make dealing with the final boss a "breeze", otherwise, try to find a pistol to get the stun-locks going.

Parrying is a joke 

Pretend the button doesn't exist. The risk is massive & the reward is a lousy 50% extra damage for two seconds.

(Note: The final boss is the only enemy in the game with an attack that MUST be parried. He will fire an arrow that will frame-trap you, otherwise, you can dodge everything.)

The damage scaling on the "X% extra damage per 1000 gold carried" relic is nuts

By the time you start consistently beating bosses without damage, you'll be dripping with gold. This relic is fairly common & immensely powerful, it also stacks. I nab it every time.

Don't be afraid of corruption

The vast majority of curses are minor tweaks, some can even be immensely beneficial. If you engage every boss you see, you'll be able to stay on-top of your curses. Consider saving gold-offerings until you have at least a 10k gold cushion for the final battle. 

Banish any weapon that isn't a Claw/Pistol/Bow from the Temple

This is personal preference of course, but honestly the only runs I've lost were ones where I was missing at least one of these three weapon types. Coincidence? I think not!

Edited by Grample_Gust

1 hour ago, solidsnake_cs said:

I've just started playing and I'm wondering if it is a good idea to practice the parry or just go for dodging. Parry seems good because it stuns the enemy, but maybe it will be too risky in the long run.

Just go for dodging, my advice. You can go for parries as well, but with perfect dodges that recover stamina and the amount of damage you'll deal, you won't need parry any time sooner.

But that is a matter of preference in the end. If you like parrying, you can go for parries as well :D 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Just go for dodging, my advice. You can go for parries as well, but with perfect dodges that recover stamina and the amount of damage you'll deal, you won't need parry any time sooner.

But that is a matter of preference in the end. If you like parrying, you can go for parries as well :D 

As someone with all the rhythmic and timing abilities of wet bread, I concur - dodging will get you through the whole game.

There are a couple of unique weapons you can only get by parrying bosses (and one boss in particular - Ratyapu - who it might be worth trying to learn his parry timing specifically, as he can be tricky to dodge at times)…

…but even without any of that, you can still go all the way to the platinum just rolling-rolling-rolling like Limp Bizkit taught you.  

• Like 2

I used parrying against Ratyapu quite a bit. A couple of his attacks are very easy to parry, and you could do insane damage with a high-damage build when you stunned him. 

So that was often worthwhile for no-hit runs (the pistol/claw build wasn't massively effective with him, I found). You also need to parry the sun/night twins in Jaguar dungeons to get their cursed weapons. 

Overall, it's not that good though. You need to have huge damage output for the stun effect to be worth risking getting hit. Particularly on no-hit runs.