Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

19 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

XBSX and XBSS is just an extension of the XB1 though, same controller and OS.

Gamepass did start on One so you could argue that, but I wouldn't think it fair to the One. The One was the culmination of Microsoft's long running strategy. It was lacklustre, but there was some attempt at having exclusives and growing gaming. They scrapped that when they did Gamepass and were very much thinking about their next console at that point.

23 hours ago, TheRetroManiac said:

So this has happened today my thoughts, it reeks of desperation too me.

10 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not sure why Sony would ever divulge what they are currently working on, nor is it any of microsoft's business.

Learning that information has some use, not that Xbox is really set up to make use of it, but I think it is all so they can do some stupid "hey Sony is developing new FPS game/s so clearly this means that even if we took CoD away they'd be fine as they have their own shooter". They've already done that sort of thing with exclusive count (which they underreported their own exclusives by around 10% and threw in Vita games for Sony's number from what I recall) where they promoted raw numbers because obviously an exclusive CoD would have the same value as Stroke the X.

I know some, especially the supporters, think Microsoft has the best lawyers in the world and everything that happens is big brain moves... but we've seen the silly arguments they've made and even when trying to do this they gave it to Sony 3 days away from their deadline which meant Sony merely had to state that it wasn't the required 10 days and Microsoft had to scrap it to try again. You'd think such highly paid lawyers, and they have a lot of them, wouldn't make such a simple mistake.

7 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Xbox is still a thing?

It won't be I'm sure if Xbox's full figures (which they hide) ever make it out into the wild. So much money down the money pit for so little. Their latest numbers, the ones they allow to be seen, were all negative except for overall Gamepass subs which grew a tiny amount (not enough to meet their goals so you can count it as a negative too) so imagine how bad the ones they don't allow to be seen are. Hardware was down which two years in isn't something that should be happening. They're currently getting outsold 2 to 1 (those numbers were America only too I think which would be even worse as Xbox is much weaker elsewhere) and this is with their pushing of the Series S which has been discounted, a console they sell at a large loss anyway, which means they're losing 200-300 dollars on each one depending on the discounted price.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Gamepass did start on One so you could argue that, but I wouldn't think it fair to the One. The One was the culmination of Microsoft's long running strategy. It was lacklustre, but there was some attempt at having exclusives and growing gaming. They scrapped that when they did Gamepass and were very much thinking about their next console at that point.

It did and I thought it was amazing at first but it didn't take long for me to cancel Gamepass. I think Sunset Overdrive is the only exclusive I played. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

It did and I thought it was amazing at first but it didn't take long for me to cancel Gamepass. I think Sunset Overdrive is the only exclusive I played. 

Thankfully that is what seems to be the case for most people. Games aren't movies or whatever where 2 hours and you're done and moving on to the next thing. While there are shorter games, games are usually at least x10 that timeframe to do and many are far more than that. Big time gamers are going to be spending significant time on non-Gamepass games to the point that even if they get on the service they'll start realising that it isn't all that worth them being on it (games they play for "free" have to exceed Gamepass's cost). Even the "only play CoD + free games" people that supporters think will go to Gamepass in mass numbers aren't primed for Gamepass as why get Gamepass when buying the game is cheaper, especially if what Microsoft says but is totally lying about (unless they mean they'll mismanage it to where it keeps getting delayed) is true, that being CoD getting more development time.

It is why I think they're doing this deal. They dream of subscriptions dominating and all that money rolling in but it isn't looking good so they've gotten desperate. Their Gamepass numbers are nowhere close good enough and even Microsoft eventually will run out of time as the money men don't like putting money into stuff that hasn't done the job in years and doesn't look like it ever will. Of course if Gamepass fails then we're likely looking at the end of Xbox itself with it. I don't think the odds are good that they'll even keep their game studios (possibly ones for mobile gaming if they still have hope towards facing off against Apple/Google, their real competition according to them and not Sony lets remember) due to all of the mismanagement. Ironically, if that happens and this deal gets rejected then that'll likely mean Activision will buy some bits of Xbox (with Microsoft's own money at that).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Why would you come out and say shit like this, it makes you look very stupid, it's really simple get better at making your own exclusives and stop blaming Sony for making very good 1st party titles.

You got that right. As I assume the whole thread will be deleted by the author, the EVP Corporate Affairs and CCO, Activision Blizzard (ie, vested interest in a big buyout payday from MS) as a tweet tagging the FTC:

Hi @FTC — did you catch last night’s episode of The Last of Us? It was incredible. No wonder the show is breaking records. It’s a true blockbuster, watched by tens of millions. If you haven’t already, you should check it out. You may be particularly interested in the fact that

The Last of Us is produced by Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions. It’s based on a best-selling video game developed by a Sony-owned studio and published by Sony as a PlayStation exclusive. Why does this matter?

The FTC has opposed the Microsoft - Activision Blizzard deal on the grounds that Microsoft could “suppress competition” from rival consoles by leveraging Activision games. It sounds like there’s some worry that Sony’s position as market leader could be jeopardized by this deal.

But there’s no cause for concern. Sony has an unrivaled warchest of IP, not just in gaming but TV, movies, and music — which can be developed into games, or can market existing games. Case in point: the TV show The Last of Us is already generating renewed interest in that game.

Sony’s talent and IP across gaming, TV, movies, and music are formidable and truly impressive. It’s no wonder they also continue to dominate as the market leader for consoles. In gaming, Sony is “the first of us” - and they will be just fine without the FTC’s protection.

As if Sony is the only one who the case is interested in protecting from being hurt, and not the citizens/consumers impacted by the eventual abuse of just about every monopoly that has ever existed in business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Why would you come out and say shit like this, it makes you look very stupid, it's really simple get better at making your own exclusives and stop blaming Sony for making very good 1st party titles.

I swear i actually read "Lulu Cheng Misery". -_-

One other reason I couldn't care less about XBSX is that most games I'd want for it are on PC. Perhaps they should release some of their studios' Xbox games as timed console exclusives, with a wait of say 6 months before the PC version. Also, Xbox should refrain from having a new release in the Gamepass lineup until it has been out for maybe 30-45 days, so they can try for more initial sales. Releasing demos of games prior to the full release wouldn't be bad.

Hopefully the regulators don't accept even one concession from MS. Go all-in or not at all. Better they fight the deal wholeheartedly, win or lose. Any compromises would be as bad as not even trying.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

One other reason I couldn't care less about XBSX is that most games I'd want for it are on PC. Perhaps they should release some of their studios' Xbox games as timed console exclusives, with a wait of say 6 months before the PC version. Also, Xbox should refrain from having a new release in the Gamepass lineup until it has been out for maybe 30-45 days, so they can try for more initial sales. Releasing demos of games prior to the full release wouldn't be bad.

Hopefully the regulators don't accept even one concession from MS. Go all-in or not at all. Better they fight the deal wholeheartedly, win or lose. Any compromises would be as bad as not even trying.

I have thought the same right from the start. Microsoft putting their 1st party titles on Gamepass day 1 does nothing but lose them money because those most likely to sign up to Gamepass are their more hardcore fans... who would buy their games day 1 anyway. Their current day 1 titles (whenever they actually release) are like the PS3 exclusives back in the day when the PS3 was struggling. They can be great games, they can have their fans, they can make a little bit of money, but ultimately mean little in the grand scheme of things to most people. This is especially the case with them because as you said, they go day 1 on PC too. Microsoft should know this as they once infamously boasted that their exclusive Halo 3 outsold all of Sony's shooter exclusives on its own, which might be why they're after CoD as CoD fits the bill of a phenomenon/cultural hit... though considering their lack of ability, the constant offerings to not have it be exclusive, and the fact they always seem to learn the wrong lessons... more likely to just be dumb luck.

As for Demos... not so sure Microsoft would want to do that. Due to the state of their operation demos would likely hurt their operation rather than help. Their Halo demo got the game delayed for a year which ultimately did nothing for the game meaning they wasted more time and money.

I agree on your view regarding what the regulators should do. I've heard some say that the regulators have struggled with this because an outright denial wouldn't be completely correct, but there seems to be no concessions that Microsoft would accept that would actually work in making the deal a good one. For Microsoft supporters such a thing means the regulators should default to accepting the deal or putting laughable concessions on it (10 year promise and such). That makes little sense to me (I doubt it does to Microsoft's supporters either and they're just being dishonest) as surely blocking the deal in that scenario would be the most correct decision as it avoids harm entirely.

• Like 4

It appears that after Kotick did the talk that I mentioned he also went on Fox, the Financial Times, basically a PR blitz. These revealed some more stuff.

For a start Kotick claims that the CMA are not showing independent thought and appear to have been corrupted by the FTC. He once again threatened the UK and appeared to appeal to its Prime Minister to go above the CMA and force the deal being accepted. Unfortunately for this scumbag while the PM could do that, it'd at the very least require a large amount of big companies to do such an appeal so the PM could frame it as the "CMA has gone mad", and even then it would be a political risk as it'd be nakedly corrupt. The PM doing that process which would involve straight up changing the law just for Microsoft shouldn't be something that'll be happening. Likely this is Kotick thinking that things in the UK operates like America.

He also has claimed that Sony isn't talking to Microsoft (beyond what is mandated by the court), and they're ignoring Activision entirely and not responding to Activisions pleas for dialogue. I wonder why that would be. Could it be that since this has started Activision has been attacking Sony (usually saying things as aggressive as Microsoft would like to) as an evil empire that needs to be stopped? Could it be that Activision now publicly (it was behind the scenes previously) putting forward a West vs East angle to things might sour things? Na, I'm sure it is just another instance of evil empire Sony trying to crush any rebellion against them. Poor good guy Bobby. He then caps all this off with "I'm confident the deal will go through" which just shows you have fake all of those "We're confident" comments are considering how can such a thing be said after everything else he said.

This is all very spicy and I'm interested to see if Sony comes for Kotick after this if the deal fails. I remember when Kotick was in trouble people appealed to Microsoft & Sony to talk to Activision and tell them that Kotick had to go. We know that Microsoft did talk to Kotick and you know, offered him the way out of selling the company to them and that they'd do PR for him by talking him up whenever he came up (doesn't get enough mention this, that Nadella/Spencer/the rest back Kotick as they do). Sony meanwhile didn't do anything because its generally not a thing you should do... but with Kotick having gone to war against Sony, calling for western regulators to screw Sony because they're a Japanese company... We might well get Sony adding their voice to Activisions woes and asking the board at Activision to remove Kotick. Sony to an independent Activision is key to their business so such a call (no need to even hand out threats) would be very powerful.

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Looks like the UK will oppose the deal, too. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/02/06/microsoft-activision-deal-opposed-uk/

It's delaying the inevitable, but it is nice it's not just being rubber stamped.

I mentioned this news when it happened some posts back, that Microsoft's people felt that the deal was going against them. On its own as I said it doesn't mean anything, but what has followed afterwards with all the recent pathetic displays from Microsoft and their proxy Activision do give further fuel to it being the case.

What do you mean by delaying the inevitable by the way? If the CMA blocks then this deal is cooked. It ain't like in America where they can take it to a court with a corrupt pro business judge and get it all overturned.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

What's the tl;dr here?

Working on one right now, but it appears that the deal should be dead in the water. Microsoft can buy certain parts of ABK but Activision and CoD seems off the table. Activision it is thought would fall apart if they didn't have the Blizzard & King part of their business so such a deal even if Microsoft was fine with it would likely be unacceptable to Activision itself. We'll see now if Microsoft was lying about "this deal is about King", because if it is then why not just take it?

Also this explains why Microsoft and Activision did the madness the other day. They knew this had been the result.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

What's the tl;dr here?

To be more precise:

In our Notice of possible remedies, published alongside our Provisional Findings, we have set out three options to remedy the provisional SLC: prohibition of the merger, divestiture of a part of Activision’s business, or behavioural commitments by the Parties. We also invite submissions from interested parties on these initial views by 22 February 2023.

The document is pretty straight forward without all the drama spin about “he said then he said” and lays out the current findings and that they’re open to input before making their final recommendation. 

• Like 3

Just now, DaivRules said:

To be more precise:

The document is pretty straight forward without all the drama spin about “he said then he said” and lays out the current findings and that they’re open to input before making their final recommendation. 

Could we get a title change? The CMA is key to all of this so this is a big development.

Just now, DaivRules said:

The title will be updated when the situation materially changes. People can read the newest posts to see any updates as they happen. 

You're the moderator so it is up to you but I feel it is a mistake. The thread getting a new post doesn't inform those seeing the thread getting posted in that something important has happened. It could be any manner of normally commentary that isn't new information. By providing something in brackets that something big has happened people can see instantly that something has happened and thus then check out the thread. I don't see why you'd be against this as the current title can be kept while providing the update, but as I've said its all up to you as moderator.

• Like 1