Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

Remember when all we had to worry about were simpler things like - which new games were coming out? Now we are arguing the nuances of corporate bullshittery on behalf of two corporate giants and their pasty middle aged white dude figureheads as they embarrass themselves publicly.

• Like 4

Tbh I dont care about ABK, I dont consume their games and my last CoD was MW3, but I understand how big in sales this is to Sony fear losing them...

Now my real and selfish preocupation... Now if MS cant buy ABK can they go and buy companies that Im really fond of like Capcom, S-E, Atlus....? Or since those companies are mostly japanese (correct me if Im mistaken) there is any law that said that they cant be fully sold to other companies outside Japan... I think I read something about that on the news about the middle east guy buying actions of Nintendo...

• Like 1

Also, everyone, lets not forget that the CMA kept delaying all of this until Microsoft got put past both deadlines for the deal to close. Microsoft is going to have to pay Activision 3 billion with their failure here. Yet more Xbox losses.

13 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Tbh I dont care about ABK, I dont consume their games and my last CoD was MW3, but I understand how big in sales this is to Sony fear losing them...

Now my real and selfish preocupation... Now if MS cant buy ABK can they go and buy companies that Im really fond of like Capcom, S-E, Atlus....? Or since those companies are mostly japanese (correct me if Im mistaken) there is any law that said that they cant be fully sold to other companies outside Japan... I think I read something about that on the news about the middle east guy buying actions of Nintendo...

Why would you want Microsoft to buy a Japanese publisher and instantly sink their business? I think even Microsoft knows this hence why they've made zero attempts (not counting Nintendo when they first entered the market).

In terms of possibility. Certain companies are straight up protected and completely off limits. Sony and Nintendo obviously. Others are murky. Square Enix might be deemed important enough culturally. Sega being a former platform holder might also. A lot of these companies like Bandai/Sega/Konami/so on have a lot of side businesses in other things that would present trouble for Microsoft buying them (gambling for example). Ultimately the main issue for Microsoft attempting such buyouts is it wouldn't just be Sony that would oppose them, Nintendo would also. Microsoft has always tried to avoid any issues with Nintendo, who is very much famed as a company you do not want to be against in a legal battle as they are ruthless on such matters no matter who you are, big or small.

The path forward for Microsoft if they want Japanese companies would be to invest money into creating new studios in Japan, attracting talent to them, and giving it a lot of time as the talent will largely be new and ultimately not very good for a good while. That hasn't and likely won't ever happen because Microsoft, the tasteless company that they are, love nothing but shortcuts.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Why not wish them to fund more games instead of randomly naming companies to buy?
Atus already got bought by SEGA years ago. 

I am really unsure why anyone would want Xbox running a Japanese studio with Xbox struggling with more local studios.

• Like 1

Can I insert a pun here about the CMA (UK) stepping in here to halt Microsoft's progress towards the purchase because they are the experts on 'clouds' in general, given there are so many here in the UK? No? Okay, I'll leave. Just know that obviously there is going to be a lot of 'Strife' over this.....

• Like 3

Side note. The American big tech companies that Microsoft has screwed with again and again using their good boy act with regulators must all be sending congratulations and gifts to Sony HQ as we speak, especially Apple and Google. Microsoft on record stated that this buyout was so they can attempt to destroy Apple and Google's mobile businesses so they have reason to be happy on that front, but beyond that as @MidnightDragon said, Sony exposed the ugly face of Microsoft to regulators who'll now not be able to use their good boy act to screw others while avoiding the same regulations hitting themselves.

When it comes to the third party publishers I wonder if it still works like the olden days. Are they all also sending word to Sony professing their continued loyalty and how they were behind Sony on this all along. I'll tell you someone who certainly will, likely after their boss shuffles off into retirement. Activision. In the past Microsoft supporters have put forward a narrative that if the deal is blocked then Activision will hate Sony and attempt to go against them in all things. Nah. With this failure here, and all the trouble internally they may well now have, Activision will instead be getting on their knees begging Sony for forgiveness and mercy.

10 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Can I insert a pun here about the CMA (UK) stepping in here to halt Microsoft's progress towards the purchase because they are the experts on 'clouds' in general, given there are so many here in the UK? No? Okay, I'll leave. Just know that obviously there is going to be a lot of 'Strife' over this.....

Cloud Strife struck a big blow to yet another big corporation yes.

Microsoft having the deal blocked on Cloud concerns shows us all the power of the cloud.

There is certainly some material you can get out of this.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Why not wish them to fund more games instead of randomly naming companies to buy?
Atus already got bought by SEGA years ago. 

I am really unsure why anyone would want Xbox running a Japanese studio with Xbox struggling with more local studios.

I don't want MS to buy a Japanese studio, I'm worried if they can do it because then no more games of those companies for PS like it already happened with Bethesda (And money isn't a problem for them), MS can't make their own games so they buy already established companies as they did with Bethesda and like they are trying with ABK.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I don't want MS to buy a Japanese studio, I'm worried if they can do it because then no more games of those companies for PS like it already happened with Bethesda (And money isn't a problem for them), MS can't make their own games so they buy already established companies as they did with Bethesda and like they are trying with ABK.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. No fan of any such companies should want Microsoft touching them.

Refer to my post where I quoted you. You're likely all good on that front.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I see. I might be a little defensive on what I expect to read about this decision. 

As far as worrying about what Xbox could buy next. They still have to get past the EU and FTC along with this new appeal for the CMA. To me it sounds like they are still too busy with this deal and may not be looking for another fight for another studio or publisher right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

I see. I might be a little defensive on what I expect to read about this decision. 

As far as worrying about what Xbox could buy next. They still have to get past the EU and FTC along with this new appeal for the CMA. To me it sounds like they are still too busy with this deal and may not be looking for another fight for another studio or publisher right now.

They probably want to get this done first before they focus on another since it wouldn’t help their case.

• Like 1

Well this has been an eventful day... i read the other day that the Financial times was saying the deal was near to closing I didn't think they meant closing without a deal ? (I know it's not over yet I just wanted to make a joke but as you said @Rozalia1 I think we are nearing the end of this merger and I'm very interested in what the  "fallout" is if it doesn't happen and as you were talking about Xbox disappearing in the future what do you think will happen to all the IPs and Studios they own)

Also the fact the Xbox fan Boys on twitter think Microsoft should pull out of the UK due to this is so unserious and I don't know if they are trolling or just don't understand how international companies work ?

Edited by ARobinGaming
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ARobinGaming said:

Well this has been an eventful day... i read the other day that the Financial times was saying the deal was near to closing I didn't think they meant closing without a deal 1f633.png (I know it's not over yet I just wanted to make a joke but as you said @Rozalia1 I think we are nearing the end of this merger and I'm very interested in what the  "fallout" is if it doesn't happen and as you were talking about Xbox disappearing in the future what do you think will happen to all the IPs and Studios they own)

Also the fact the Xbox fan Boys on twitter think Microsoft should pull out of the UK due to this is so unserious and I don't know if they are trolling or just don't understand how international companies work ?

People on Twitter as a whole are stupid, so probably the latter. 

Would’ve loved to been a fly on the wall when MS’s brass found out they weren’t getting what they want for now. Probably the first time most of them were told no in their lives. xD 

• Like 4

I'm wondering if the CMA decision sets a precedent for the FTC and EU to follow? Regardless, I don't think this is worth celebrating. A monopoly hurts the consumer whichever way it goes. If xbox continues to underperform and Microsoft decides to cut their losses and scrap the brand, a Playstation monopoly would be as bad for the consumers as an Xbox monopoly could have been. I was hoping for the deal to be blocked as I considered it another step towards Microsoft's attempt to corner the market, but now I am wondering if Microsoft can actually compete without buying up the market like they had planned to do. And this is coming from the perspective of somebody who is still salty that he won't be able to play the next Arkane Studios games on PS.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

This is good news, let's hope the rest follows and maybe this will force MS to actually make good exclusives themselves or risk leaving the scene. I can see them going after something else if they don't get what they want out of this, but them losing here does not help them in the long run.

Microsoft will likely appeal and waste even more time. The EU hammering them next month might cause them to back off but this being Microsoft it wouldn't shock me if they decided to fight all three regulators at the same time.

Just now, cy1999aek_maik said:

I'm wondering if the CMA decision sets a precedent for the FTC and EU to follow? Regardless, I don't think this is worth celebrating. A monopoly hurts the consumer whichever way it goes. If xbox continues to underperform and Microsoft decides to cut their losses and scrap the brand, a Playstation monopoly would be as bad for the consumers as an Xbox monopoly could have been. I was hoping for the deal to be blocked as I considered it another step towards Microsoft's attempt to corner the market, but now I am wondering if Microsoft can actually compete without buying up the market like they had planned to do. And this is coming from the perspective of somebody who is still salty that he won't be able to play the next Arkane Studios games on PS.

The FTC went against Microsoft instantly, though this does further support them yes. The EU in theory should now be more likely to also block as they'll not want to look soft on big business when compared to the CMA and especially the FTC.

Microsoft are in their current position because of their own bad business and mismanagement. Competition doesn't mean that bad competitors are propped up just for the sake of it. If Sony gets a monopoly (not counting Nintendo) then that will be because they earned it, unlike Microsoft who has gained their monopolies through dirty tactics. I wouldn't worry about it. The next Nintendo platform most likely will be powered enough that you should see stuff like CoD and stuff not skip it any more and both Sony and Nintendo will likely start competing more closely with each other.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Microsoft will likely appeal and waste even more time. The EU hammering them next month might cause them to back off but this being Microsoft it wouldn't shock me if they decided to fight all three regulators at the same time.

The FTC went against Microsoft instantly, though this does further support them yes. The EU in theory should now be more likely to also block as they'll not want to look soft on big business when compared to the CMA and especially the FTC.

Microsoft are in their current position because of their own bad business and mismanagement. Competition doesn't mean that bad competitors are propped up just for the sake of it. If Sony gets a monopoly (not counting Nintendo) then that will be because they earned it, unlike Microsoft who has gained their monopolies through dirty tactics. I wouldn't worry about it. The next Nintendo platform most likely will be powered enough that you should see stuff like CoD and stuff not skip it any more and both Sony and Nintendo will likely start competing more closely with each other.

Fair enough. If nintendo starts competing more closely then fuck microsoft, I don't care about their business, as you said they use dirty tactics. However, whether or not Sony would have earned the monopoly, it would still be a negative for gamers and that was my point. I would love to see the next Nintendo console compete more with PS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cy1999aek_maik said:

Fair enough. If nintendo starts competing more closely then fuck microsoft, I don't care about their business, as you said they use dirty tactics. However, whether or not Sony would have earned the monopoly, it would still be a negative for gamers and that was my point. I would love to see the next Nintendo console compete more with PS

I fully understand. If Xbox had a "soul" and could output good content and make gaming overall better it would indeed be nice. The problem is that as we've seen, Microsoft makes sure that its culture exists within Xbox and that kills creativity as Steve Jobs said. When PlayStation and Nintendo met with setbacks they didn't go for a shortcut, they focused on themselves and heavily improved their business to ultimately be what they are now. Xbox doesn't have that spirit, they only go for shortcuts and only have any level of patience if there is a promised monopoly at the end of the tunnel like with Gamepass. Management like Spencer as bad as he is can't even really be blamed for it because if he however many years ago it was now told Microsoft that they needed to invest in the 1st party and that in 10 years they might start to be able to effectively compete with Sony they'd have killed Xbox there and then. Instead he had to come up with a get rich quick scheme in Gamepass and only after that still wasn't doing it managed to convince Microsoft that having lots of studios was the missing piece.

We all want closer competition between the two. If Sony sees off Microsoft then that likely means they'll have to invest into Japan more to try and compete better with Nintendo there, which means more quality Japanese games being made for example. As I also said in a previous post, it would not shock me if Microsoft went third party but keep their stuff off PlayStation and so start backing Nintendo heavily.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I don't quite understand this stance. Over the past 10-20 years, Sony acquired multiple studios, including Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Bungie, etc. and made them who they are today. A lot of them now produce blockbuster, highly rated exclusive games for PlayStation. They are not available on Xbox. Ultimately, Sony's goal is to make you interested in their games and make you join or keep being a part of the PlayStation ecosystem. That's perfectly fine.

Microsoft has been doing the same thing. Yes, given their position in the market, they are able to and make more expensive purchases, for whatever reasons. But in the end, their goal is exactly the same -- to make you join their environment. You're not interested in their output? No problem. There's PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam, etc. Something caught your eye? Awesome. If you want to play a Microsoft game, buy an Xbox. Or play on PC, they give you that option. People complain that Xbox has no exclusives but when they do or try to make/get some, one would complain that they are not available on PlayStation.

I just don't get the hate towards Xbox. Or PlayStation. Or any platform really. They are just companies. They compete with each other. It's business. They produce content and we consume. The competition makes each of them strive for better results, which leads to more or better content. Everyone wins. Just because you love, say, PlayStation, you shouldn't necessarily want others to fail.