Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

15 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Wait, does this mean they’ll own Tenchu as well if they ever released a new one?  Man I would be so crushed if they do. 

Looking online, Activision only published games for it. A Japanese company owns the IP.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

This sucks. Don't care for the games but Microsoft trying the gaming equivalent of Disney can't be good.

PlayStation will just be a gaming studio in the long-term. Can't see how they can compete with this.

Edited by boorish_brute
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

This sucks. Don't care for the games but Microsoft trying the gaming equivalent of Disney can't be good.

PlayStation will just be a gaming studio in the long-term. Can't see how they can compete with this.

Well, as pointed out, Microsoft is still only the third largest gaming company behind Sony and Tencent, so they don’t have to worry too much… Yet. Still, that’s going to change pretty soon at this rate. Only thing we can hope for is that the anti monopoly people get involved.

Seeing all of this makes me wonder if Playstation would be able to continue onto the PS6 with how much studios Micro$oft is sucking up lately. The smart move on Micro$oft is to make their games timed exclusives to maintain a wider customer base. Really, at this point, I'm wondering if anything would come to Playstation from the Micro$oft acquired studios. It sure would be nice if we would still get the newer games on the PS5 in the future from the M$-owned IPs.

I know it's just a pipe dream, but it still would be nice to hope.

• Like 1

Well, definitely wasn't expecting that lol

At least it looks like this deal won't be done until next year, so if the next Call of Duty will be the next Modern Warfare I can at least get that before whatever happens. Pretty odd that Spyro and Crash will be Microsoft-owned now. I don't play much else from them though.

One thing is obvious though, Microsoft is no longer playing around! It used to be just another Halo, Forza, and Gears over and over again. Just wait a couple years with all these studios they have now, and see which ones they choose to make exclusive. It's gonna be interesting!

5 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

One thing I’m curious about…why did MS pay almost 10 times more for this than Bethesda? Because they can?

In part. As many here have nailed the purpose behind this purchase of gargantuan proportions is to avoid, at the eyes of Microsoft, fighting with other streaming platforms that currently are competing with them, i.e. Amazon/Google/Steam and, as we know, PlayStation already (but from other degree too). The core existence of the Xbox was the threat that Sony imposed to MS back at late 1990s, as when the latter was located in Japan, it became arrogant and tried to impose their market practices to even say that PlayStation will crash PCs back in the day. And well, this is the same belief but now with steroids and the belief that this they can make better profit through the already established Game Pass. 

TL;DR. They are capitalizing what they believe is already theirs. PlayStation is still a competitor due to Project Spartacus, and this rivalry can be traced back ~20 years ago, but they're really pulling out the monetization from other consoles as it'll be terrible business for them eventually. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

I certainly would never bet against American corruption, but sometimes you will get surprises. Plus, I'm sure Sony would have some support from others to put some pressure, the biggest get there being Apple who I imagine isn't happy with Microsoft from what I recall in essence giving assistance to Epic.

If the Disney-Fox acquisition was approved then there's honestly no reason to think this won't be.

If Tencents loses their 5% stake in this, I approve - that means eSport players won't be ostracised for speaking out against the CCP of China.

For myself personally, it's not really a big deal. The only two Activision Blizzard games I really liked were COD: Infinite Warfare and Overwatch. The key devs which made those games like Kurosaki and Jeff Kaplan have long since left the respective studios. In the end, what defines good games are the talented developers who made them - not necessarily a studio logo. It shows with BF2042's sub-par graphics to BFV because they lost a few key programmers. 

Another thing to note amusingly, Activision Blizzard owns the Crash Bandicoot IP. If Microsoft is allowed to buy the company, there could be a setup for the ultimate NTR in gaming legacy and exclusivity.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, majob said:

If the Disney-Fox acquisition was approved then there's honestly no reason to think this won't be.

There was another head of the FTC at the time and the new one has expressed a desire to have more scrutiny. It’s extremely faint hope because the government sucks, but it is hope. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

That is one disgusting amount of money holy moly, and to imagine Disney bought Stars Wars  for "only" 4 billions.

I don't think this generation will be affected much with this purchase, however Sony will have to bring some big guns when the time for PS6 comes or they will be in some serious trouble.

Edited by Ninjise
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SKiL_Clash said:

COD won’t be one sided. It’s too much money loss leaving PS out of it. They will leave it the same like they did with Minecraft. Just Xbox will get the early access deals now.

You could say the same for Elder Scrolls due to Skyrim's monumental success and look what happened there.

50 minutes ago, Amonares said:

Microsoft right now:

Manchester City Official App - Google Play'de Uygulamalar

Funny you mention sports...

I'm sports fan myself - mostly follow MLB, NBA and the NFL. 

When I read about these publishers and studios that Microsoft has acquired for insurmountable amounts of cash just to make themselves a bit more competitive (in this case 3rd place for MS), I think of those big market teams who can't keep up with smaller market teams that have great scouting and and 2nd to none player development and do lots of winning. 

Sony and Nintendo is looking like the small market teams that keep winning pennants, developing All-Star talent and most importantly winning championships.

While MS is buying free agents left and right to fill holes for the lack talent they can't develop, the divisions titles

they can't even sniff and the championships they can't win.

It's a clear parallel for me that MS is doing whatever it takes to be competitive. 

16 minutes ago, Not_Too_Sweet said:

You could say the same for Elder Scrolls due to Skyrim's monumental success and look what happened there.

Yeah, Skyrim isn’t played by 100million people. There is too much money loss taking out one platform. Why they didn’t take out Minecraft as it’s too much of a money loss. They got 70billion dollars to make back here. Taking a good chunk of that away isn’t going to help.

Yeah, it could happen. I just don’t see it.

Edited by SKiL_Clash
  • Like 1

That's one hell of an acquisition but I don't fuck with most of their games so no big deal to me personally. I feel like the Bethesda one stung a bit more since there's better franchises under their belts that I'm a fan of such as dishonored, wolfenstein, doom, prey and elder scroll. 

Some of yall are being way too overly dramatic though I'm pretty sure Sony will continue to dominate like usual just by sticking to the formula that has been working since last console generation. If anything this just shows how desperate Microsoft is to turn the tables when it comes to their exclusives but I'm curious to see how it'll turn out. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

Like a few have said. The Bethesda stuff hit a little more. They actually made games I was interested in, even if I played so few of them. Personally, I just don’t really care enough for the content Activision put out to be concerned by this on a personal level. On an industry level, yeah, but personally, not much is going to change.

Besides, between me and my partner, we’ve had most Xbox consoles and we rarely used them (I think I may have turned my 360 on once). We both just subconsciously start up a PlayStation of some kind when we want to play games. And what with the way the world is right now and with life stuff getting in the way, we just can’t justify buying another one based on past experience when our money could be put to better use at the minute. Even more so after finally managing to get a PS5.

But neither of us dislike the physical Xbox console they produce so I imagine at some point in time, we shall have one at some point, but right now, we’re still in no rush at all to change how we play video games.

• Like 1