Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Tenchu is owned by FromSoftware

Well, we haven't had a mainline Tenchu game (at least on PlayStaion) since the PS2 days, and sadly I can't see us ever getting a new installment, so even if Tenchu were in fact now owned by Microsoft, it likely wouldn't matter.

Oh lord, what I wouldn't do for a new Tenchu game. :D

• Like 1

Microsoft can have COD and activision they suck ass any way.  tired of the same old COD bullshit every year now it just keeps getting worse and worse.  Let Microsoft buy up the trash of the gaming industry here's to hoping they scoop up EA next!

Edited by steel6burgh

Jeeeeeeeesus Fucking Christ.

First Bethesda and  Obsidian, now this. Wow, that’s actually a game changer, while Sony is busy whoring out their consoles exclusives to PC, Microsoft, realising  they can’t make games, buy  directly the competition. Sony had  it good for many years, so I’m happy that Microsoft, at least this once is stepping up, like, seriously stepping up, ain’t no way gamepass was enough to compete. With Microsoft actually returning to be dangerous (the same guys that made paid online the norm, but  the gaming landscape is horrible and beggars can’t be choosers) Sony will be stronghanded to actually be nice to their primary customers,  and maybe aim higher with their product, instead of having an incomplete “remake” that didn’t even bother  to add the cut Archstone, and then have the gall to add  new weapons that can only be unlocked by paying more, alongside raising the total price of the game as their top offering.

But still, wow, cod, tes, fallout, doom, diablo, crash sekiro 2 if they want to, destiny, overwatch, this is crazy, those are all top games that made the previous  generation, like, what the fuck is a fpshooter I can play on Playstation now? Killzone is defunct as of now, roflfield and, oh no, stay the fuck away from Gearbox.

• Like 1

Folks saying "Awesome can't wait to play all the new games in all the franchises Microsoft now owns" are incredibly naive if they think any more than like three of those franchises besides CoD, Diablo and WoW will have major releases in the next 10 years.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Decay? The gaming industry has seen double digit growth year over year for a significant number of years and is expected to continue for many more years.

you're talking about money, I'm not.

6 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Microsoft can have COD and activision they suck ass any way.  tired of the same old COD bullshit every year now it just keeps getting worse and worse.  Let Microsoft buy up the trash of the gaming industry here's to hoping they scoop up EA next!

No. This is a terrible take. While I'm not really going to mourn COD, and I increasingly don't care much for AAA games, the point is that 3rd party AAA studios sell massive quantities of games. Go look at the top games on this site for number of owners - EA, Activision, Rockstar, Ubi - they dominate that list.

The problem with saying fuck Activision and Fuck EA, is that once they become first party MS developers (for all intents and purposes), Playstation is dead. As it stands, the 3rd party independent AAA studios basically support both Sony and MS. Once you lose that balance, then Sony no longer has the $$$ or the console install base to support the amazing in house AAA developers. And make no mistake, that is the end game here. Sony has so many more amazing 1st party titles, MS can't hope to beat them (and haven't been for several generations), so what they are going to do is take away the 3rd party support.

So be very careful what you wish for. This transaction comes very shortly on the heels of the Bethesda one, and really losing EA or Ubi to MS would be the end for Sony.

Ironically, this is not unlike how Sony took over from Sega in the home console market. If PlayStation fails, then Sony as a company is dead in the water as their electronics and media arms are barely profitable as it is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Go on...

If you consider money and profit the only quality parameter in the industry, then you are right. Now if you take into account the respect for the consumer, the quality standard of a decade ago vs now in a generalized way, you will easily understand what I mean.

Just now, kevao97 said:

If you consider money and profit the only quality parameter in the industry, then you are right. Now if you take into account the respect for the consumer, the quality standard of a decade ago vs now in a generalized way, you will easily understand what I mean.

welcome to capitalism

money talks 

1 minute ago, Rozalia1 said:

Why are you asking like it is hard to grasp? He obviously is talking about the spirit of things. How the industry has become more samey and "safe" and all that. Like how say WWE makes more money than ever before and yet their product has never been considered worse, that sort of thing.

It's never been easier, cheaper, or more accesible to create a video game and release it to the largest audiences of all time. If you only focus on the largest developers and publishes and point to those as the norm, you miss out on the hundreds of smaller entities which don't have those problems. Applying a quantitative label to a feeling or your word "spirit" doesn't explain anything. So asking for clarity is what someone should do.

• Like 3