Which studio would you aquire to counter MS buying Activision?

The_Mighty_Ducks

1 minute ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Konami, mostly just to save Konami from itself.

If anything I'd just acquire exclusive rights from Konami to develop their IPs, but leave Konami and their Gacha to their own vices.

I personally think Sony opening maybe another internal studio + expanding others would be a better value. Also will be a nice way of cementing their philosophy of cultivating their own studios first. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

None. That legitimizes their tactic and only further escalates the situation.

I agree with none, at least not immediately.  Sony is a business and the games business is very much a reactive industry so ignoring this acquisition isn't smart either.  Sony should continue to do what they think is best to continue to grow their business (which they continue to do) but an acquisition the size of Activision should give them pause.  In June 2023, Xbox is going to have 30 studios making games, some of these individual studios extremely large.  Sony currently has, I think, 17 studios (after all of the purchases last year) and not all of them are creating games (i.e. some are support studios like Valkyrie Entertainment). 

Growing Sony's first party studios organically is a great idea so that these studios can continue to make multiple games but I do think that at some point, Sony will need to close the gap to Xbox studio numbers in order to compete with the quantity of new games.  More acquisitions or opening new first party studios (or a combination of both) will be in the future of Sony, guaranteed, and I'm talking on a larger scale or volume.  I always hear from other gamers we want quality games not quantity but in reality, you need both to compete in this industry.  Most consumers in the world that PS and Xbox are trying to lure over are not the loyal PS and Xbox current owners so having a high number of quality and quantity games to keep pace is necessary. 

We'll see what happens but I expect to see Sony respond to this news at some point by showing off more new, exclusive games coming to PS in the coming years and additional growth within their first party studios.

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update
  • Like 3

There is no realistic counter to Microsoft's buy-out of ZeniMax and Activision. EA would be the closest thing, or perhaps Ubisoft - but that's not realistic.

What I'd really like to see Sony do is diversify the games produced by their first-party studios. It's no secret that they've produced a huge number of hits since the PS3 days, and I'm sure that will continue - but I'm worried Sony is focusing on the third-person action-adventure at the expense of practically every other genre under the sun.

There are no RPGs. There are no first-person shooters. There are no racers, with the exception of Gran Turismo which launches about once every five years. What we do have is the Horizon sequel (third-person action-adventure), the God of War sequel (third-person action-adventure), the Spider-Man sequel (third-person action-adventure), the supposed The Last of Us remake (third-person action-adventure). You get the picture. From a genre perspective, there's extremely little experimentation coming from Sony's premier studios. And I get it, economically - but it's also a risk not to give other genres the triple-A treatment, especially in light of Microsoft's bombshell buy-outs. 

If Sony can't compete with Microsoft financially, I believe they can compete with them creatively. But I sincerely hope they've got more up their sleeves than what they've shown us so far.

• Like 4

A partnership with Nintendo (say Sony allowing Nintendo games on their console and giving Nintendo all of the money) or a merger would be the only thing that would be so massive that'd it'd instantly reverse and more all that Microsoft is doing. Nothing else would come close to having that effect.

Buying/creating a large amount of studios on the cheap would be the better move I'd say. So basically what they've been doing thus far, but more of it.

• Like 4