Which studio would you aquire to counter MS buying Activision?

The_Mighty_Ducks

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Wait, why were the threads merged? Doesn't this deserve it's own thread with first post and proper title? The hell...

I originally posted this in this thread from my phone. But when I opened my laptop to come here, it was separate. So that's why I asked to merge them. But this is interesting news. Hope they make the DLC's cheaper lol j/k

Everything is already merging into larger businesses anyway. Sony uses Microsoft Azure for their Playstation Now, so the partnerships have existed for a while now. I'm not even sure if Microsoft still uses Amazon for Xbox Live or if they've switched to Azure already. PSN used to be Amazon, but that might've rolled up in the Azure deal as well.

With the Bungie deal, that kind of helps Sony deal with the potential loss of Activision. And since they plan on making more acquisitions, maybe something to compete with the Zenimax purchase (not that they really need to respond directly to Microsoft’s purchases). I think CDPR might be on the tables here (though they seem proud of their Polish roots so maybe not). 

I didn't believe it at first. Actually I don't mind Sony buying Bungie... in this case, it's fair. Sony could get a new PS FPS franchise to rival Halo, with a PC port to follow. Jim is saying Bungie will stay multi-platform. Could mean PC and maybe even Nintendo Switch ports (I don't think Sony would have much to fear from a cut-down version of a Bungie game on Switch, and with no Vita successor, they could market that as a portable version).

I don't think CD Projekt Red would be on the table. I have a strong feeling that CD Projekt (the parent company, who also owns GOG) would flat out refuse such a deal.

20 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I don't think CD Projekt Red would be on the table. I have a strong feeling that CD Projekt (the parent company, who also owns GOG) would flat out refuse such a deal.

?

I don't think Sony would want to touch CDPRojeckt Red with a ten foot pole...

... imagine what a PR bungle it would be if they had to ban their own game from their store for 6 months due to technical incompetence! :facepalm::facepalm:?

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't think Sony would want to touch CDPRojeckt Red with a ten foot pole...

... imagine what a PR bungle it would be if they had to ban their own game from their store for 6 months due to technical incompetence!

I would hope CDPR learned their lessons from the Cyberpunk 2077 launch, which was quite the fiasco. May their next big release not have such a rocky start.

Just now, RadiantFlamberge said:

I would hope CDPR learned their lessons from the Cyberpunk 2077 launch, which was quite the fiasco. May their next big release not have such a rocky start.

I doubt it - The Witcher 3 was almost as bad at launch... (and even 2 years later, it crashed on me so many times I just gave up and deleted it after less than an hour of game-time.)

Sony likes their big, splashy, technically-sound releases - CDPR does seems to get there, but it takes years and years of post-release patching and fixing to get their products to an acceptable state - that's a kind of PR Sony cannot afford to deal with

Before the Bungie announcement there was chatter about purchasing Ubisoft or EA and then the "leakers" twitter got nuked.

Lets say there is some truth, regardless of how far-fetched it seems. EA would be a good choice. They have many good IP's and studios that EA just squander and cant seem to nourish properly. I think Sony could do a lot better with those IPs .... that being said I think even Xbox could be a better job with them than EA.

On 20/01/2022 at 11:12 AM, Wavergray said:

Sony doesn't have the money to really buy any company.

This aged funny.

On 31/01/2022 at 9:28 AM, Spider-Man916 said:

I would love Square Enix and Take Two.  But any of the above would be fine.  Nintendo will never happen! Lol 

Ergh, not Square. They suck.

Edited by Eraezr

1 hour ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

tbf, if Sony bought Square-Enix, you could have Lara Croft/nathan Drake crossover, haha. If Sony bought Konami, maybe we'd finally get official Yu-Gi-Oh! VR or an AR-based games with near-holograms (well digital representation of them). 

I think the Yu-Gi-Oh games of Konami are fine as it is. 

But iw would be cool to see a fully fledged out AR or VR version of yugioh. with current leadership at Konami, I don't really see that. But with Sony, definently something to promote their VR2! 

It would be a day one purchase for me :)

2 hours ago, Bumperklever said:

I think the Yu-Gi-Oh games of Konami are fine as it is. 

But iw would be cool to see a fully fledged out AR or VR version of yugioh. with current leadership at Konami, I don't really see that. But with Sony, definently something to promote their VR2! 

It would be a day one purchase for me :)

An official YGO VR game would seemingly be a no-brainer, especially with haptic feedback. Dunno why Konami hasn't undertaken such a project. Just the thought of looking at the battlefield, and seeing a gigantic Blue-Eyes, or Slifer above you, or the shadow realm. 

Edited by ArmoredSnowman

• 2 months later...