A question about multiplayer in 2022

captainkopter9

Servers are still active. Technically, you don't need to play online to earn the trophies, but some of the covenant items have better drop rates when playing online with other users (invasions, coop, and such).

Other than that, it's a good way to start on the franchise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Folkenio said:

Servers are still active. Technically, you don't need to play online to earn the trophies, but some of the covenant items have better drop rates when playing online with other users (invasions, coop, and such).

Other than that, it's a good way to start on the franchise.

Brilliant, thank you! I'm picking up the trilogy so I was just curious about this, thank you very much

• 1 year later...

It’s 2023 now, but still relevant. I was really struggling with the Nameless King. As a new player to the Dark Souls franchise, I was actually handling all the bosses solo fairly well. Never really struggled too much with my knight build. Then, the Nameless King comes along. After dying repeatedly in the 2nd phase (1st phase is a breeze) I decided to activate online in hopes of a random guardian Angel. 

I placed my White Sign Soapstone carving near the closest bonfire and patiently wait. Two minutes in, a random summons into my world, glowing in Red (sus) and obliterates me. I wave at him and he responds by decimating me lol. Fine, I’ll give it another shot. 

Take an ember, place another White Sign Soapstone, and seconds elapse before another player accepts my summon. This time he’s glowing white (sign of benevolence I’m guessing). Well, this random immediately greets me and sets a wave of positive gestures. Ok, it’s a match! I follow him to the boss battle and this is where it gets good….

This player is some OP sorcerer thats casting these spells that took the dragon out in like 4-5 shots. First phase DONE

Transition to the last phase, same thing, 5-6 long range spells and the Nameless King falls to his knees! Boom! Trophy mine! I felt like hugging this Good Samaritan thru the screen haha. This player just waves back and rides off to the sun set. Just like that. 

My point is this. It’s 2023 and there is still an active community still enjoying this masterpiece. I love experiencing difficult games like this when you push yourself so far, then get to the point where you swallow your pride and raise your hand for help. Clearly, this random stranger probably felt good to help a noob like me. Ultimately, it was one of the best co-op experiences I’ve had in gaming this year so far. It actually enhanced the experience of a game I already feel in love with and will credit as the gateway drug into FromSoftware games. Now, I just need to git gud or whatever the kids are saying these days ;)

Btw, for my own edification, any clue on what spell that was called that the random used? It was long distance and emitted a blue light when casted. I’m super curious 

• 7 months later...

I see some physical copies of this game for sale but with the EURO nomenclature.

Is there any problem playing online with people who don't have this version? Like US version? I imagine not, because there is only one type of trophy set.

Another question: does this type of game use its own servers or a peer-to-peer method to play? I'm afraid the servers will close.
Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 6:39 AM, kkulifay said:

It’s 2023 now, but still relevant. I was really struggling with the Nameless King. As a new player to the Dark Souls franchise, I was actually handling all the bosses solo fairly well. Never really struggled too much with my knight build. Then, the Nameless King comes along. After dying repeatedly in the 2nd phase (1st phase is a breeze) I decided to activate online in hopes of a random guardian Angel. 

I placed my White Sign Soapstone carving near the closest bonfire and patiently wait. Two minutes in, a random summons into my world, glowing in Red (sus) and obliterates me. I wave at him and he responds by decimating me lol. Fine, I’ll give it another shot. 

Take an ember, place another White Sign Soapstone, and seconds elapse before another player accepts my summon. This time he’s glowing white (sign of benevolence I’m guessing). Well, this random immediately greets me and sets a wave of positive gestures. Ok, it’s a match! I follow him to the boss battle and this is where it gets good….

This player is some OP sorcerer thats casting these spells that took the dragon out in like 4-5 shots. First phase DONE

Transition to the last phase, same thing, 5-6 long range spells and the Nameless King falls to his knees! Boom! Trophy mine! I felt like hugging this Good Samaritan thru the screen haha. This player just waves back and rides off to the sun set. Just like that. 

My point is this. It’s 2023 and there is still an active community still enjoying this masterpiece. I love experiencing difficult games like this when you push yourself so far, then get to the point where you swallow your pride and raise your hand for help. Clearly, this random stranger probably felt good to help a noob like me. Ultimately, it was one of the best co-op experiences I’ve had in gaming this year so far. It actually enhanced the experience of a game I already feel in love with and will credit as the gateway drug into FromSoftware games. Now, I just need to git gud or whatever the kids are saying these days ;)

Btw, for my own edification, any clue on what spell that was called that the random used? It was long distance and emitted a blue light when casted. I’m super curious 

Praise the sun my friend!