LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga coming April 5!

6 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

May just be referencing it covers nine movies.

I hope so. I don't see how though. 9 films covered well is what? 3 or 4 levels each? Then the inevitable collectibles vomited all over the map. This is gonna struggle to fit in that sweet spot of a 20-25 hour plat unless they drop the tried and tested formula. Its gonna be a 40-50 hour monster again like Superheroes 2 ?

Edited by Cleggworth

3 hours ago, trojbrown40 said:

Technically the Skywalker saga is only the first 6 movies...the other 3....not sure what those were but it had nothing to do with Skywalker.

Well, last movie was The Rise of Skywalker. So 7/9? I know, grasping at straws. They just wanted to do all nine movies!

I've been excited about this for some time. Glad to see it's got a solid date, though another delay is always possible, especially in our current logistical climate.

I'm excited to see what's been changed from the original LEGO Star Wars game and what has, for the most part, stayed the same.

Here's hoping for some new LEGO material come April!

April the 5th be... with... you? Geez, I just realized just how insanely long it has been since the last LEGO game (I think it was LEGO Movie 2?), so they might have just as well waited a month longer and released it on that one vaunted date.

As reiterated in countless (or, umm, maybe five or six?) Most Recent Platinum LEGO game writeups, I'm cautiously pessimistic. Over a decade hence, and The Complete Saga is still in the top three LEGO games for an apparent majority. Recognition of a high water mark, sure... but also a damning reflection of TT's chequered history of innovation.

More often than not, the simplistic joys of the gameplay have been bogged down by needlessly cumbersome mechanics and extraneous content bordering on the decidedly Ubisoftian. If they decide to go for a massive sandbox hub world (in a very literal sense if Tatooine is part of it) in a game that spans nine damn movies of varying quality, they are treading on dangerous ground that may well cancel out a large part of whatever superlativity the story levels can hopefully attain.

Having well and truly played through the good, the bad, and the ugly of the series, I don't have sufficient trust in TT's knowledge of their own strengths and weaknesses to make any kind of a call on how it may turn out. It's a crapshoot of a Corellian Spike die, at best.

• Like 1

The most delayed Lego game of all-time, going from a late 2020 to April 5, 2022 release date.

But it also seems to be their biggest yet in content. 45 core levels, 20 hubs (at least), hundreds of characters, and new features. They really should've used Unreal Engine instead of making an entirely new engine (which they said now will never be used again). Switching from an older Lego engine to Unreal would've probably shaved the delays by 6 months or more. It seems like such a waste to make a new engine. And that seems like the sad truth of this game's production: tons of mismanagement and crunch. I would not judge anyone for boycotting the game, but I also don't think people should be shamed for buying it either.

Fingers crossed the delays mean little glitches. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 seemed pretty glitchy, and I know other Lego games have had this problem. 

The game time is something I'm a little worried about. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 was definitely the longest LEGO game, and the game was a far cry from how great the first one was, so the games length felt like it dragged on forever. So in order for this games length to be justified, these gameplay changes are really going to have to be substantial enough to make it feel worth it. 

And I said before that while I enjoy LEGO games for the most part, after you play so many of them you realize just how samey they are. So I'm hoping this one innovates enough to feel fresh again, otherwise it might be the last LEGO game I purchase. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

On 20.1.2022 at 5:33 PM, Cleggworth said:

I hope so. I don't see how though. 9 films covered well is what? 3 or 4 levels each? Then the inevitable collectibles vomited all over the map. This is gonna struggle to fit in that sweet spot of a 20-25 hour plat unless they drop the tried and tested formula. Its gonna be a 40-50 hour monster again like Superheroes 2 1f62d.png

It's already confirmed that each movie has 5 levels (45 total). The complete saga from 2007 had 6 each (36 total) but with a smaller scale, especially in the prequel trilogy.

I was very excited for the release of this game until the Polygon article detailing the unfortunately longstanding crunch culture TT Games employed came out.

On the one hand, I don't want to reward such an appalling issue, but on the other hand, not supporting the devs who were seemingly overworked so constantly may possibly be just as detrimental as well. Let's see if TT issues a response towards the article and maybe debunks anything it states, but I'm not holding my breath.

On 20/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, IntroPhenom said:

This one's been preordered for some time, and then of course news breaks regarding the crunch time at TT. Yuck. I'd wait and wait and wait rather than have the workers fretting and dreading mandatory overtime. 

Unfortunately, delays nowadays won't guarantee a game will be good (cough cough FNaF: SB and CP2077) and they only seem to enable more crunch as well.

Moreover, this being their largest-scale game to date, it might just be a matter of time until numerous underlying issues are spotted.

Edited by ElHoxtinator

On 1/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Viper said:

The game time is something I'm a little worried about. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 was definitely the longest LEGO game, and the game was a far cry from how great the first one was, so the games length felt like it dragged on forever. So in order for this games length to be justified, these gameplay changes are really going to have to be substantial enough to make it feel worth it. 

And I said before that while I enjoy LEGO games for the most part, after you play so many of them you realize just how samey they are. So I'm hoping this one innovates enough to feel fresh again, otherwise it might be the last LEGO game I purchase. 

I suppose part of it depends on your enjoyment of the source films/source universe. I enjoy Marvel a lot, but Super Heroes 2 is my least favorite of the 3 Lego Marvel games. But that had more to do with a lot of glitches. 

I like that Skywalker Saga is long (or at least think I will). 8 and 9 never have had Lego game adaptations, and there's a lot you can remake in George's original six films compared to The Complete Saga. Having all 9 films together feels right. But it is funny considering Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the most padded Lego game ever. It stretched one film into an entire campaign plus DLC. 

On 20/01/2022 at 3:55 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Unclear if the PS4 version has a free PS5 upgrade.

Yeah it does.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/concept/232847

"If you already own the PS4™ version of this game, you can get the PS5™ digital version at no extra cost and you do not need to purchase this product. Owners of a PS4™ disc copy must insert it into the PS5™ every time they want to download or play the PS5™ digital version. PS4™ game disc owners who buy the PS5™ Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to get the PS5™ version at no extra cost."

• Like 1