Save Data Corrupted Twice in approx. 6 Hours of Gameplay

BKnocheese

Didn't know this was an issue with the PS4 version of the game. I was enjoying my time with the game, but I found when I closed the game, my save data was corrupted each time and I had to delete them. If you're playing this game, make sure you back up your save data. Does anybody know if the devs are working on this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yep, I can confirm this still occurs. After playing up to the sewers area, I decided to call it a night, so I exited to the main menu and tried to close the application. The game took forever to close, then gave an error screen, which corrupted my save.

Guess I'll try your workaround of letting it advance to the title screen next time, provided that I can even stomach restarting this buggy turd. I don't appreciate having several hours of my finite life wasted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

Yep, I can confirm this still occurs. After playing up to the sewers area, I decided to call it a night, so I exited to the main menu and tried to close the application. The game took forever to close, then gave an error screen, which corrupted my save.

Unrelated to this game, I experienced a similar issue when playing The Count Lucanor. Every time I exited to the main menu, the game would always corrupt my save data. Always.

What I did to resolve the issue was, I never exited to the main menu. When I was done with my session, I just pressed the :ps: button and closed the application. I was able to plat the game that way.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, I had the same problem with Lucanor. My memories of playing it are hazy now, but I think I had to do everything in one session to avoid it.

Anyhow, I did some Googling regarding this, and it's apparently a matter of the PS4 and the Game Maker engine (used to create Death's Gambit) not getting along. As a result, it's basically unfixable on the dev's end. Recommended workarounds I found include:

-Closing the application ONLY on the title screen, where the animated main character can be seen.

-Turning off boost mode and supersampling on PS4 Pro.

-Limiting your resolution to 1080p.

-Exiting the game every hour or two to make a backup save.

Pretty damn irritating! Never would've bought this if I knew.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

July 5th, 2023.

Has this bug been patched yet? Not wanting to start this game until it’s fixed. Also, anyone know what’s going on with Ashes Of Vados DLC for ps4? Seems it’s released on switch and pc but not ps4 yet.

Edited by darkhadou10

6 minutes ago, darkhadou10 said:

Has this bug been patched yet?

Nope, it still occurs in the Afterlife version to this day, and likely always will. I believe the original, unpatched physical edition of the game doesn't have this problem, although I've heard it's pretty unpolished in other ways compared to Afterlife.

Shame, because without the instability/save corruption issue, it'd be a solid Metroidvania, featuring a number of fun and challenging boss battles. While it's possible to work around the glitch (I did), sometimes it randomly hits you regardless, particularly near the end of the "Perfect Run" playthrough, since you can't exit to create a save backup during that. Sucks, but it's up to you if you want to deal with the headache. Personally, I can't recommend playing it on PS4.

3 hours ago, StraightVege said:

Nope, it still occurs in the Afterlife version to this day, and likely always will. I believe the original, unpatched physical edition of the game doesn't have this problem, although I've heard it's pretty unpolished in other ways compared to Afterlife.

Shame, because without the instability/save corruption issue, it'd be a solid Metroidvania, featuring a number of fun and challenging boss battles. While it's possible to work around the glitch (I did), sometimes it randomly hits you regardless, particularly near the end of the "Perfect Run" playthrough, since you can't exit to create a save backup during that. Sucks, but it's up to you if you want to deal with the headache. Personally, I can't recommend playing it on PS4.

Man what a shame… might not even bother with this then, don’t wanna deal with this headache… it seems it’s been quite a while since there has been any news from the devs about this issue or the ashes of vados dlc for ps4. Guess I’ll just have to forget about this one and move on to another metroidvania game.

47 minutes ago, darkhadou10 said:

Guess I’ll just have to forget about this one and move on to another metroidvania game.

Really can't blame you. There are countless others out there, that's for sure. If you haven't played it already, I highly recommend Blasphemous! The sequel's coming out soon as well.