Does Anyone Else Think Spec Ops Mastery 2 and Higher Are Just Bad?

poetic_justice_

2 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Oh, definitely - we did really well overall. I'm just setting expectations for those who haven't done those yet to let them know that the maps, themselves, on mastery 3 are not a cakewalk like the launch ones haha. I was more referring to how far the water sources are from one another on that map (while the PG-240X goes up really fast on mastery 3) which is why the method we used of me carrying the PG-240X and you scouting ahead for water sources was a solid strategy, and why I'd recommend doing this map in co-op (as opposed to solo).

And yeah, Ubisoft being Ubisoft...You should have seen the trouble I had with Ghost Recon Wildlands servers recently - messed up my trophy progress and I had to start a new game!

Agreed I'm just glad I could help and that I'll never have to legitimately go through level 3 again unless I'm helping someone (probably my girlfriend in the future since we play the PS4 far cry games together) and can just do the lowest level to pop it on the 4. It would have been funny if you could have just swam to the rendezvous point haha just psych players out thinking they had to cross country and they just had to skirt the map in the ocean haha

• 2 months later...

They are easy to complete once you know your gear and when to use it.

What I did, when playing the lower difficulties, is to plan your pathway through from one camp to the other and take your time in the shade.

If you need some help with any of the missions, I have posted them on youtube.  Hope this will help someone complete the trophies

Maceo Special Operations

Puerta Del Eden

Los Tres Santos

Cocodillo

Mesozoico

Thanks

KP

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-01-29 at 3:12 AM, Slugger_VII said:

If you guys are still struggling with this, you can go into game settings and change the difficulty to “story mode”. It makes doing these SO much easier. Before I learned this I was doing it on whatever the default difficulty is and was struggling bad. Now I’ve cleared a bunch with little to no issues. 

Can anyone confirm if this is true? I’ve read that Spec Ops is an independent experience and base game difficulty has no bearing, then other reports that the host difficulty does impact Spec Ops as well. Does dropping to Story make Spec Ops easier?

On 9/12/2022 at 4:58 AM, diskdocx said:

I’ve read that Spec Ops is an independent experience and base game difficulty has no bearing, then other reports that the host difficulty does impact Spec Ops as well. Does dropping to Story make Spec Ops easier?

I think apples and oranges are being smashed together here. Yes, the host's choice of Mastery Level affects both players in Spec Ops (apples) but in the co-op campaign, the host can choose Story Mode difficulty, while the co-op partner joining may have chosen a different difficulty level (oranges). There is no option for Story Mode difficulty in Spec Ops, only varying Mastery Levels. Spec Ops has Standard difficulty (for XP levels 3+), Mastery 1 (XP levels 7+), Mastery 2, and Mastery 3. In Spec Ops, if the host chooses Mastery Level 3, both players play at Mastery Level 3. This can be incredibly useful for the non-host, as normal unlock progression requires players to beat Standard to unlock Mastery 1, beat Mastery 1 to unlock Mastery 2, etc. Suppose the host sets the difficulty to Mastery 3 and both players complete the operation. In that case, the non-host player will unlock all mastery levels of that mission in a single playthrough rather than four separate playthroughs.

Back to your question, though, the co-op campaign and Spec Ops are two separate modes. Selecting Story Mode difficulty in the campaign does not transfer to Spec Ops. Spec Ops has its own, stand-alone difficulty system in the form of Mastery Levels. On a positive note, from experience, playing Spec Ops in either solo or co-op does not seem to change the number of enemy spawns. Two players facing the same number of enemies as one player makes playing Spec Ops in co-op significantly easier. Ubisoft did not balance Spec Ops for a single-player experience. It's funny to me that so many people on PSNProfiles downplay the difficulty of Spec Ops. On reddit, people hate the challenges. 

Edited by poetic_justice_

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, poetic_justice_ said:

I think apples and oranges are being smashed together here. Yes, the host's choice of Mastery Level affects both players in Spec Ops (apples) but in the co-op campaign, the host can choose Story Mode difficulty, while the co-op partner joining may have chosen a different difficulty level (oranges). There is no option for Story Mode difficulty in Spec Ops, only varying Mastery Levels. Spec Ops has Standard difficulty (for XP levels 3+), Mastery 1 (XP levels 7+), Mastery 2, and Mastery 3. In Spec Ops, if the host chooses Mastery Level 3, both players play at Mastery Level 3. This can be incredibly useful for the non-host, as normal unlock progression requires players to beat Standard to unlock Mastery 1, beat Mastery 1 to unlock Mastery 2, etc. Suppose the host sets the difficulty to Mastery 3 and both players complete the operation. In that case, the non-host player will unlock all mastery levels of that mission in a single playthrough rather than four separate playthroughs.

Back to your question, though, the co-op campaign and Spec Ops are two separate modes. Selecting Story Mode difficulty in the campaign does not transfer to Spec Ops. Spec Ops has its own, stand-alone difficulty system in the form of Mastery Levels. On a positive note, from experience, playing Spec Ops in either solo or co-op does not seem to change the number of enemy spawns. Two players facing the same number of enemies as one player makes playing Spec Ops in co-op significantly easier. Ubisoft did not balance Spec Ops for a single-player experience. It's funny to me that so many people on PSNProfiles downplay the difficulty of Spec Ops. On reddit, people hate the challenges. 

I was struggling bad on these and as soon as I changed it to story mode, I did every one in 1 try. Unless they changed something putting in on story difficulty does make a difference.

Can confirm, story mode difficulty does affect Spec ops. I did all spec ops solo and even on mastery 3 I was nearly invincible. I don't mean that I was particularly good, but you can literally run to a water cooler with 2-3 people shooting you, cool the pg240x and run back to cover while losing half health or less. Still not fun, but the difficulty is trivialized.

13 hours ago, ginger252bread19 said:

I was struggling bad on these and as soon as I changed it to story mode, I did every one in 1 try. Unless they changed something putting in on story difficulty does make a difference.

That's great news! Congrats on finding a work-around.

• 4 weeks later...

The special ops are boring, imo, I can't imagine trying to run them on Mastery 3.

I just finished up all the DLC trophy sets. Having the story visions and collectibles while getting villain backstories / seeing tangible progress for each villain at their mirror/weapons case is way, way more interesting and fun to me.  The format of

1. Dani pick up spicy chip
2. Dani run with spicy chip
3. Dani dip spicy chip

got old even just while going for the non-DLC trophies.

• 1 month later...

I'm done with all 5 special operations and can confirm that the single most important tip is to switch to story mode. You'll get absolutely insane damage resistance against bullets and explosions. Only flamethrowers can still be a significant threat.

Also, as OP pointed out, this mode is buggy as hell. I had to abort missions on more than one occasion because enemies would just stop spawning when the last wave was like 90% complete. That, along with the need to play each operation four times, made for a rather poor experience. I've started the Vaas DLC and like it much more.

Edited by JeManquedHygiene
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 7:39 AM, JeManquedHygiene said:

Also, as OP pointed out, this mode is buggy as hell. That, along with the need to play each operation four times, made for a rather poor experience. I've started the Vaas DLC and like it much more.

Nice. I liked all the villain rogue-lite DLCs (Vaas/Pagan Min/Joseph Seed) much more than Special Operations too. Oh, check your Ubisoft Connect for Challenges related to the DLC. Completing challenges earns Ubisoft Connect XP, which grants 10 golden coins per XP level. All new Ubisoft games have little add-ons (weapons, cosmetics, chibis, etc.) that can be purchased with these golden coins. Some of the challenges are non-intuitive, though, like "Kill 10 eagles playing as Pagan." However, the weirder or harder the challenge, the more XP it seems to give. 

• 1 month later...

I don‘t agree with topic cause I think SpecOps are not fun on every difficulty level, not only mastery 2 and higher, the thousand reasons are already mentioned. Another trophy dlc which has more or less nothing to do with the cool main game (like zombies and mars in fc5) and ruins the whole package. Last far cry for me until Ubi changes this politics. End of rant.

All the DLC for this game is terrible unless you like doing the same thing over and over again, literally. SpecOps is literally the same mission over and over again with increasing difficulty, the Escape the Mind rogue-lites are all the same and are copy/pasted with the same style missions just in a different setting for each, and Lost Between Worlds is probably the best DLC by default but that's not saying much as again, it requires you to do the same crap over and over again. 

Don't know why Ubisoft has this sudden obsession with rogue-lites as they had similar DLC in Valhalla too that was a rogue-lite. At least in Valhalla it was fun and it was just one DLC expansion. In Far Cry 6 all the DLC expansions are nothing but rogue-lites and it's just too much of the same. Who finds rogue-lites this fun to the point you'd want to do them over and over again? I don't get it. 

I'm almost at 100% for this game and just need to complete 2 more SpecOps at Mastery 3. I originally found the SpecOps incredibly hard to do solo like many others but once you get the proper loadouts and proper weapons to make it easier for you, they're really not terrible. They're not fun at all to do but it's not overly difficult at least. It's just the repetition of it all, it drives me nuts. 

• Like 1

On 23-2-2023 at 6:06 PM, mega-tallica said:

All the DLC for this game is terrible unless you like doing the same thing over and over again, literally. SpecOps is literally the same mission over and over again with increasing difficulty, the Escape the Mind rogue-lites are all the same and are copy/pasted with the same style missions just in a different setting for each, and Lost Between Worlds is probably the best DLC by default but that's not saying much as again, it requires you to do the same crap over and over again. 

Don't know why Ubisoft has this sudden obsession with rogue-lites as they had similar DLC in Valhalla too that was a rogue-lite. At least in Valhalla it was fun and it was just one DLC expansion. In Far Cry 6 all the DLC expansions are nothing but rogue-lites and it's just too much of the same. Who finds rogue-lites this fun to the point you'd want to do them over and over again? I don't get it. 

I'm almost at 100% for this game and just need to complete 2 more SpecOps at Mastery 3. I originally found the SpecOps incredibly hard to do solo like many others but once you get the proper loadouts and proper weapons to make it easier for you, they're really not terrible. They're not fun at all to do but it's not overly difficult at least. It's just the repetition of it all, it drives me nuts. 

Bro it’s the same thing with the main story main mission are different but everything around it is just exactly the same thing over and over again very boring I didn’t play the dlc yet but if I think this on the main game I don’t think the dlc is going to be fun ??

I picked Guerrilla Mode for my game difficulty, the game itself is easy but these Mastery 3 challenges are absolutely brutal. I'm not fully understanding if game difficulty is effecting the Spec Ops difficulties, but if it is then I think I screwed myself a bit by selecting Guerrilla. It's a whole complete different beast then the base game, holy shit.

6 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

I picked Guerrilla Mode for my game difficulty, the game itself is easy but these Mastery 3 challenges are absolutely brutal. I'm not fully understanding if game difficulty is effecting the Spec Ops difficulties, but if it is then I think I screwed myself a bit by selecting Guerrilla. It's a whole complete different beast then the base game, holy shit.

The only only hard ones are 2&5, but you should get to level 20 first. It will make it much easier 

3 minutes ago, SaiyanSenshi said:

The only only hard ones are 2&5, but you should get to level 20 first. It will make it much easier 

Just completed Mesozoico (Dino land) which took forever. What does level 20 give? I don't really understand the level system and it's purpose FC6. I'm currently 17.

Was debating going to NG+ for these, but I have a feeling I won't be able to change the difficulty even in NG+ given I chose Guerilla ?

1 hour ago, Skurkitty said:

Just completed Mesozoico (Dino land) which took forever. What does level 20 give? I don't really understand the level system and it's purpose FC6. I'm currently 17.

Was debating going to NG+ for these, but I have a feeling I won't be able to change the difficulty even in NG+ given I chose Guerilla ?

Well the mastery 3 levels have a enemy level. You Can see it before you start the last one is 20. If your under the enemy level it will show a red skull, once you get to the same level as the enemies the skull goes away and it will be much easier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SaiyanSenshi said:

Well the mastery 3 levels have a enemy level. You Can see it before you start the last one is 20. If your under the enemy level it will show a red skull, once you get to the same level as the enemies the skull goes away and it will be much easier.

For some reason my brain just didn't put this together, maybe because it didn't feel like a factor in the main game. I never noticed a red enemy going through the story, but I certainly did see them in the M3 I did. Had me wondering why they were so bullet spongy, I just thought they were super elite enemies and it was meant to be that way. ? I'll wait to go back for the remaining 4 of them, I appreciate you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skurkitty said:

For some reason my brain just didn't put this together, maybe because it didn't feel like a factor in the main game. I never noticed a red enemy going through the story, but I certainly did see them in the M3 I did. Had me wondering why they were so bullet spongy, I just thought they were super elite enemies and it was meant to be that way. 1f605.png I'll wait to go back for the remaining 4 of them, I appreciate you.

No problem your welcome ??

On 3/6/2023 at 5:09 PM, Skurkitty said:

On 3/6/2023 at 11:54 PM, SaiyanSenshi said:

I’m not following, is there not a way to change the difficulty mode to story for the Spec Ops?  Or have you finished the base game and therefore you are locked into Guerilla Mode?  Sorry, it’s been so long since I did a couple of Spec Ops missions - I actually haven’t finished the campaign yet.

46 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I’m not following, is there not a way to change the difficulty mode to story for the Spec Ops?  Or have you finished the base game and therefore you are locked into Guerilla Mode?  Sorry, it’s been so long since I did a couple of Spec Ops missions - I actually haven’t finished the campaign yet.

If you pick Guerrilla you can't change your difficulty until NG+, but then you lose all your levels and such which makes it sorta not worth it. I'm working my way through the spec ops on Guerrilla, at 3/5 now, it's definitely a challenge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

The difficulty does not apply on the spec ops mission. They have a difficulty of their own. If you play easy or hardest the spec op missions difficulty doesn’t change its just the standard and mastery 1/2/3 what changes it 

1 hour ago, SaiyanSenshi said:

The difficulty does not apply on the spec ops mission. They have a difficulty of their own. If you play easy or hardest the spec op missions difficulty doesn’t change its just the standard and mastery 1/2/3 what changes it 

No it definitely applies, I watched a number of YouTube videos for each map and everyone was on Story difficulty. Even on Mastery 3 they were taking chip damage from the enemies (casually cooling down the bomb while being shot), just walking around in enemy zones shooting people. Where as me, on Guerrilla, would die in 2-3 seconds. The video comparison to what I was experiencing was night and day difference.

Several posts up by: JeManquedHygiene 

I'm done with all 5 special operations and can confirm that the single most important tip is to switch to story mode. You'll get absolutely insane damage resistance against bullets and explosions. Only flamethrowers can still be a significant threat.

Either way I got them all done on Guerilla, Eden was the biggest piece of shit layout ever (#5) and took me a few hours and multiple attempts. If I could have changed my difficulty settings I would have, that was an awful and unfun experience.

Edited by Skurkitty