What do you think about NFTs?

Tirmata

21 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

"Authenticating" stolen images and artwork, in many cases.

unfortunately bad practices happen, as in any other service. recently there was a scandal involving "stolen art", which was quickly resolved.

Yesterday I watched this really good video by Dan Olsen, (passively, I was revising for an exam for today) about NFTs and there issues. One of the problems that effects them on an economic basis: is the fact that both NFTs and cryptocurrencies are undergoing hyper-deflation, basically going up in value so much that it's already become an insular commodity.

There was a tonne of other problems detailed, without even mentioning the environmental cost. Here's the video if you're interested:

• Like 1

They are a fad that will go away in time like every other fad out there.  The fact that there is so much hype about them now shows that time is coming sooner rather than later.  Once everyone is talking about something like this, it's too late to get in on it.

It is possible the idea behind them may evolve into something actually useful, but as they are now they are far more likely to just fizzle out and cause a bunch of idiots to lose money and have nothing to show for it.  At least with other fads you had something to show for the time and money spent on them.

Isn't NFT's basically people paying vast amounts of money for a Jpeg image or something and then sort of having some sort of rights to its ownership? I only heard the laymans of it, but it goes to show there's far more wealthy fucktards in this world than what was previously thought possible. 

I also heard Ubisoft plan to do it with games, but that gets a little creepy then. It wording microtransactions but at a bigger cost. I just don't see the point in stuff like that in a digital market. Cheap and cheerful yes, but on a game which could be dead and left without any dev support in a matter of months? No thanks.