State of the multiplayer

Jadeccc_

Hello.

I added Squadrons to my library when the game was on PS Plus, and now I've been considering starting actually playing it. A good idea?

What's the status of the game's multiplayer modes now in 2022?

• Is anyone still playing, can you find all types of matches easily? Does it depend heavily on time of day?
  • Can you get the multiplayer trophies by playing more or less normally, without any dedicated boosting?
  • I've heard worrying comments about some kind of cheat/glitch that some players are exploiting, making them more or less unbeatable. "Pinballing", some called it, I believe. What's happening there, does it ruin the game?

So is it doable? Is it any fun?

I mean, if it's not, then I might as well go to Tosche station and pick up some power converters instead.

Thanks for any comments!

• Like 1

Having played this recently I can say it is pretty fun and the servers are still fairly active. Never had issues with waiting too long to find a match in the mornings and evenings, never tried midday. Average 3-5 minutes per dogfight match, 5-10 for fleet battles. Just about all of the multiplayer trophies can be obtained without boosting, with the exception of 15 co-op ai fleet battles since the servers are dead. In regards to "pinballing", I have never encountered it, at low divisions in fleet battles. Just be warned 1000 kills in dogfights is a rather long but attainable grind, and the gameplay has a rather sharp difficulty curve at the start.

• Like 2

Thanks, @nashoyo68. I did start playing the game a couple of days ago, and thus far my experience has been very similar to yours. One can get into Dogfights quite easily, and usually also to Fleet Battles. But I've yet to get into a single Fleet Battle vs. AI.

So far it's been fun. Of course, how enjoyable a match is depends heavily on how balanced the teams are. If your team is inexperienced and the other team has a few pilots with rank 500+ or something, you can get hammered quite badly.