How is this an Assassin's Creed game?

Willreaper41

So I finally remembered and got around to beating this game and it's not bad, standard as far as things go these days, but not bad. What I don't get is how is it an assassins' creed game? Besides a few small things it has little to nothing to do with previous games, he isn't even or never even became an assassin. Remove the artifacts and a couple other minor things and it is another open world game, much closer to say far cry than anything else. Since I don't have a ps5 yet I haven't played Valhalla at all but I assume it is basically the exact same thing, just in a slightly different setting. So I guess I have to wonder where the AC series is going when they seem to have more or less abandoned the entire assassin part? Most of the pervious games you had to focus on stealth and finesse, now it is much easier and faster to just go in swinging usually. I get they have already covered a number of eras and cultures and putting anything in a setting with guns more useful than Syndicate would be pointless but there has to be some way for the series to get back to its roots.

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

Did you play Origins?  From what I read, that started the modern-day AC, which Odyssey and Valhalla followed and expanded,

Yes and while I agree it is certainly the start of this new gameplay style, for better or worse, it still was at least based in the assassin's. The main character is an assassin, there is an assassins league and everything. That's my point though, even since that they seem to have dropped the assassin thing completely. Maybe they put it back in Valhalla but even knowing nothing about that game I feel confident saying it is exactly the same as Odyssey.

Looking at Odyssey purely from a lore perspective, the Cult of Kosmos served as a precursor organization to the Templar much like how the Order of The Ancients in Origins did.

(Snakes are even featured among both; Kosmos basing their symbolism off of the mythical Greek Python, and the Ancients being referred to collectively as "the Snake")

It is not until the end of Origins that the precursor to the Assassin Brotherhood, the Hidden Ones, is founded. The Templar in all of its forms, however, has existed for far longer.

So basically Origins is the origins of the Assassin Order, whilst Odyssey is the origins of the Templar. (Or at least one of their oldest - if not the oldest - precursors) 

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

The only part that felt like an Assassins Creed game was the DLC of Legacy of the First Blade and partly The Fate of Atlantis for the ancient civilization plot that was introduced in the second game. While I really like Odyssey, it more or so proves that the developers have no idea how to progress the bigger narrative and are just throwing stuff on the wall, regardless if the series loses its identity. 

• Like 1