What is it with Persona 5?

JakBrod

Over the course of the past few months i have been trying to find some good games to play, and whenever i do some research Persona 5 never fails to make the list.

I haven't heard much about the Persona series and am usure whether it is worth playing.

Does Persona 5 live up to the amount of praise I've seen it being given?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JakBrod said:

Over the course of the past few months i have been trying to find some good games to play, and whenever i do some research Persona 5 never fails to make the list.

I haven't heard much about the Persona series and am usure whether it is worth playing.

Does Persona 5 live up to the amount of praise I've seen it being given?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: abso-freaking-lutely yes.

• Like 1

Persona 5 mixes the best qualities of JRPGs and life-sims along with an addictively stylish UI to make an incredibly good game. The only down side I can think of with the game is that the campaign is over 100hrs. If that doesn't bother you and the rest sounds good to you, it's an easy recommend.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of JRPGs, but I've played a couple per suggestions from friends. Persona 5 was fantastic, I loved the gameplay, the story was just okay for me. But again I'm not a huge fan of the genre, so the gameplay will hit harder than the story. The game is long, I believe my save was around 144hrs, but it had zero bloat, all those hours is pure enjoyment.

Edited by Skurkitty

I'd argue it's the best modern turn-based RPG available on PSN. It lives up to the hype imo, but prepare yourself for a long one. A single playthrough took me 90 hours and was a bit burnt out by the end of it by doing it in a short amount of time.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

It is by no means perfect and even in the Royal version, there are still some story shortcomings for some parts of character writing/committing the sin of drama ex machina fake-out death....yet despite those things, a high attention to detail in the script, the nice art presentation, the themes and the soundtrack make for a solid single player game. Persona 5 was an extraordinary breath of fresh air for big-shot JRPGs after years of watching Final Fantasy decline (I played it right after FFXV) or seeing the Tales series idle on that archaic engine they used to have.

I enjoyed it so much I even wrote a 200k+ word fan fic about it which I had never done for any video game before.

Edited by Eraezr

Persona 5 is basically a drug and once you start it and get a little not it it'll hook you and drag you along to it's conclusion and from then on it'll nag at you for you to play it some more orr play strikers or royal just forr a fix it'll be me as much like an adicition as a real drug 

Edited by Taliesin_2943
  • Like 4

It's a great game, but not as amazing as people like to overhype it. There are far better JRPG's in the catalogue that are better than Persona and even what some other games did before. The vanilla version is very flawed game in that sense, but Royal Edition brought a lot of needed improvements. Still, it is definitely worth playing as a good start into the Shin Megami Tensei universe and for the price it is going these days is a complete steal. 

• Like 1

Honestly, after taking a look through your profile, none of the games you've played are similar so I'm unsure if you'd like it. You have also started a lot of games & dropped them right at the start, & since Persona 5 is like a100h campaign that starts off pretty slow for the first like, 10 hours, I feel like you might end up dropping it.

However, the base version of Persona 5 goes onsale for cheap very often. I also notice you have a PS5, so you can get the game for free if you have PS+ since it comes with the PS5 PS+ Collection, so if you have PS+, there really isn't a reason to give it a try anyway.

I personally think the game is great, in terms of gameplay, it is easily the best Persona title. In terms of story, it's one of the weaker ones in my opinion, but it is worth a playthrough that's for sure.

EDIT: Also the "sequel", Persona 5 Strikers is also free on PS+ for a few more days, so you can also claim that if you have PS+ while that is still there. Persona 5 Strikers I think would be easier to get into since I didn't notice a single turn-based on your list, but the story takes place after the events of the first game & reference them quite a bit.

Edited by ObsiEez

27 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Man, why did you have to ruin the party? :(

I’m sorry. I didn’t know I wasn’t invited to this P5 appreciation party. I’ll take my leave. ??

Edited by Baker

2 minutes ago, JakBrod said:

I'm definetly going to check out persona 5 soon.

Just wondering is P5 Royal a better version on P5 or does it not really matter?

Go with Royal if you have the choice.

Royal removes some of the more irritating constraints on the social side, making the game a little less constricting, and freer (as well as making the platinum journey more fun and less dependent on following specific guides), and adds significant story beats that add good additional aspects to the story.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Go with Royal if you have the choice.

Royal removes some of the more irritating constraints on the social side, making the game a little less constricting, and freer (as well as making the platinum journey more fun and less dependent on following specific guides), and adds significant story beats that add good additional aspects to the story.

Also Royal apparently fixes the 5th dungeon of the game to make it not awful.   And as someone who played through that dungeon on the original, you want this.

Edited by Together_Comic

I really like the persona games.

Just beware of the length, you can easily go half an hour - close to an hour of the game just being story with the characters talking. Its a game you need a lot of time to sink into, you cant always just save and quit when you want.

Go with Royal, unless you're pretty strapped for cash. You can get the vanilla version for cheap (or often on sale), or it comes with the PS Plus Collection. But you really should just spend the money on Royal, especially if it's on sale. It adds new features and QOL, adds an entire epilogue (make sure not to miss it), and has an easier trophy list. I've only played Royal, but it's largely considered the better version.

Be warned that Persona 5 is one of the longest games you will ever play, if not the longest. I do think it's worth it, and I do not recommend skipping cutscenes or most voice-acted dialogue scenes. The only people I can understand doing that are the people playing another version of the game and wanting to get trophies faster. 

18 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

I'm not a fan of JRPGs, but I've played a couple per suggestions from friends. Persona 5 was fantastic, I loved the gameplay, the story was just okay for me. But again I'm not a huge fan of the genre, so the gameplay will hit harder than the story. The game is long, I believe my save was around 144hrs, but it had zero bloat, all those hours is pure enjoyment.

I’m in the same boat, really not a fan of JRPGs or anime, but it’s hard to ignore the ceaseless praise for Persona 5. It’s constantly topping the lists of best RPGs and games of this past generation. I’m just going to have to check it out for myself one of these days but I’m glad to hear it can appeal to people who aren’t necessarily fans of the genre. This has been the main concern that has held me off from buying it in the past.

Alright I will be the second person here to have a different opinion, together with @Baker ?

I love JRPGs, for a long time (before my PSN) they were all I would play. Then P5 came out, I had never played a Persona game, and people would not shut up about it... I bought it, enjoyed the first 20-30 hours somewhat, and but very quickly started hating the game. 

I don't think I could call it a bad game, but it is not a game that catered to my taste personally. I hated the "free time" mechanic that you need to use for socializing and hanging out with your companions, I didn't care about that at all, and I didn't enjoy being "time-gated", having only limited possibilities each day. I didn't enjoy ranking up covenants. I also didn't like the combat system, it is basic and boring. 

This led to me wishing to finally go back to a dungeon when I was out socializing, but then wishing the dungeon would end as soon as I stepped in ?

But it is also a game that assumes that you have a 2 minute attention span. I was pretty quickly irritated by the constant repetition of "what's going on", and the daily recaps via phone messages in the evening. 

Not my kind of game, and I personally do not understand all the praise it's gotten. The things that irritated or bothered me sadly very quickly overshadowed anything positive this game might have. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1