Sony to buy Bungie

waltdisneypixar

I guess that gives them a studio with a top-tier FPS under their belt, incase CoD goes elsewhere eventually - they won’t want Guerrilla going back to Killzone considering the success of Horizon.

Maybe looking at a Killzone reboot - or replacement - with Bungie at the helm? :hmm:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I guess that gives them a studio with a top-tier FPS under their belt, incase CoD goes elsewhere eventually - they won’t want Guerrilla going back to Killzone considering the success of Horizon.

Maybe looking at a Killzone reboot - or replacement - with Bungie at the helm? :hmm:

They pinched some of Rainbow Six Siege' top talent quite a while ago and the assumption was we were getting a SOCOM reboot. 

Does seem to be hinting that they want to bring a FPS to the scene though which will be refreshing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jgm4789 said:

I guess thats one way to help with developing a halo killer and protect against the possibility of cod going exclusive considering how ironic it is that microsoft could have easily bought them back had they bought activision a few years ago.

Bungie had a publishing deal with Activision, but had Microsoft bought Activision before 2019, Bungie was still independent at the time. Activision never owned Bungie.

• Like 2

I could care less about Destiny or any FPS really, but I know it was at least very popular, as the year it came out everyone on campus (I was a freshman at the time) was playing it. So i'm assuming its a popular franchise and I guess they wanted to lock in a known FPS franchise. Hoping it works out well for them.

Just now, Silocia said:

They pinched some of Rainbow Six Siege' top talent quite a while ago and the assumption was we were getting a SOCOM reboot. 

Does seem to be hinting that they want to bring a FPS to the scene though which will be refreshing. 

It’s probably a smart strategic move, considering most of the other big FPS studios of the Ps3 / Xbox360 era were already subsumed by Activision, and became CoD support studios, like Raven.

• Like 2

makes absolutely no sense to let them be a state in state, if you bought them, take them off of xbox, just like xbox is doing with Bethesda and Acti after the contracts end, seems like more and more PlayStation is telling their fans that the future is not the console, better get that PC

Suppose it's a good bargaining chip to keep everything multiplatform. If Microsoft decide to get funny about certain things, Sony can do the same. 

I'm no Destiny fan but it does well enough and it's "popular" with some folk. 

Wouldn't have been my first choice but hey-ho. 

Also, Sony will never buy Nintendo. No-one will. Not even sure why anyone would think that. Nintendo are far too much of a big company. 

37 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Same here. Was hoping FromSoftware and Square Enix. Shoot, if they got their hands on Nintendo, that would've been hella crazy!

Be a little difficult for them to get FromSoftware, since they're already owned by another company in japan. Sony would have to buy kadokawa to get fromsoft

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CptToffer said:

Also, Sony will never buy Nintendo. No-one will. Not even sure why anyone would think that. Nintendo are far too much of a big company. 

I think its because quite a while ago they were talking about partnering which would have meant Nintendo games on Playstation and vice-versa.

I agree though, never happen.

35 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Wonderful... just validates Microsoft's behavior and will generate the whole "please buy every company under the sun" thing again.

Microsoft seems to be committed to buying up as much as they can even without Sony responding. I doubt they need any validation to keep on going.

43 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Halo for Playstation confirmed lol

Nope, Microsoft still owns the IP.

That's a lot of money for one studio ?

I enjoyed Destiny for what it was, the whole MP and raiding thing wasn't for me but it plays exceptionally well. Let's hope it translates into something new on the FPS front for us, Playstation is lacking in this regard

3.6 billion though, good lord....