Does anyone actually like this game?

JokerSmile007

While I didn't play Far Cry 5 myself. Only played Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, Blood Dragon and planning on picking up Primal somewhere in the future. I can speak for a friend of mine (who has played Far Cry 5) when I say this:

The Far Cry series died after Far Cry 3. Every Far Cry that has been released from then on has been nothing but a copy paste with a slightly different setting (except for Primal though, that one DID change upon the formula). Far Cry 5 is no exception and basically did nothing different than Far Cry 3 (or Far Cry 4 for that matter).

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

Really dislike it myself, more for the crap framerate and bad gunplay.

Idk gonna return to it eventually, originally started it to go for the trophies after completing FC4 and Primal. But the gameplay just turned me off it's hard to explain but compared to previous FC games it feels like this game is more slow and floaty with its aiming and pacing of Combat. One thing I liked in previous installments was how you could pre plan and hit outposts/bases not just quickly but usually in complete stealth / no alarms. With this one it seemed like it would actively try to throw you into firefights. Even places that you could technically sneak through always seem to end in some scripted firefight breaking the immersion of going stealthy.

With that said Story was decent, enjoyed it quite a bit as had that good balance of realist and absurdist tones. Multiplayer, particularly the custom map creation was top notch though. My god I never had so much fun playing through custom maps and the fact people could really go all in on that and recreate some really awesome maps from other games or properties was just awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The (fem)MC x Joseph Seed shippers seem to like the game, judging by Ao3.

I personally found the game kind of brain dead despite the beautiful setting. It was obvious that Ubisoft did not let the director properly flesh it out, one of the big strikes which would eventually lead to him leaving the company. Good for him, to be honest.

I'd say Far Cry is at a dead end now. The best thing which is possible in the future is Bluepoint giving FC3 the remake treatment.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed it. For me it's up there with FC3 & Blood Dragon as the best FC games. I loved the setting. I preferred that it was set in the US over some fictional far-flung exotic location that the series has been known for, because it was something different. 

The way I see it is if you like one Far Cry game, you'll probably like them all. They're all fundamentally the same, and so they all have basically the same strengths and weaknesses, because the formula never changes. It really just comes down to preference for the location, story, and main antagonist(s) and protagonist. Everything else, especially the gameplay essentially remains the same entry to entry. 

• 2 weeks later...

i've finished it and yeah... i don't like it. I enjoyed 6 and primal so much more. but the 5th one is soo boring as a game. i like the cult and seed, but that's it... the gameplay is really boring for me...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just 1 trophy away from 100% is game at the time of writing this. I thought this game was very boring compared to the other ones. Some of the most frustrating parts for me were a few things...

- How the game managed your quests/tasks

- Compass sucked

- Weapons were very shaky in general

- Story story story, worst part by far. Plus I hated the forced confrontations with the leaders in each area. Just so much weird crap here that completely took away from the potential immersive feeling.

Some of the pros though

- Visuals were pretty good

- I actually enjoyed the DLC more than the main game, at least they were all different and offered some challenge in some way. 

- Travel can be easier than any other FC game ever once you get the option to air drop on fast travel. I'd reach a new location, see that my next desired destination is 600+ meters away, then fast travel to my current location and use air drop. Then wing suit to your destination. You can cover over 1000M very quickly this way with no interference. 

- Most weapons stunk, but the alien ones were fun

Overall, while I know this a "did you like the game" I'd give it a 6/10. That's about the best way I can tell you how much I liked this game. 

I thought it was enjoyable. Not groundbreaking by any means - but it is Ubisoft and Far Cry we’re talking about here, so should one expect it to be? - but didn’t regret the money or time I put into it. I liked the environments, thought the companions were great - who doesn’t love Cheeseburger? - and personally, I liked Seed and his family quite a bit. So far as the DLC goes, I haven’t tried the Vietnam one, but thought it was interesting what they chose to do with the Zombies and Mars DLCs; I find it kind of ironic that there’s comments here complaining that FC5 isn’t different or innovative enough, yet also complaining that the DLCs are different and (almost) unrelated to the main game. I can get behind people hating Hurk, and listening to him ramble the entire time you’re on Mars can indeed be grating and bring down the experience, but I learned to tune him out. Mostly.

It’s not the best Far Cry by any means (it’s heresy, but 4 holds that spot in my heart. Ambiguously gay David Bowie impersonator Pagan Min triumphs over all), but neither is it the worst (I’d say Vengeance holds that title by a country mile) and it certainly isn’t anywhere near being a 1/10. Personally, I’d put it more around a 7, and can totally understand people who rate it as low as 3, but 1? Nah.

It’s all personal taste, though; you say it’s the worst you’ve ever played, but glancing at your profile I can see several games I would say are much worse (skipping over trophy trash, but I’d put FC5 higher than AC: RevelationsFallout 4, and The Last Of Us any day.) All down to opinions.

And to the person who said cult leaders don’t have man buns or look like Oregon hipsters… I beg to differ. Come to my corner of Oregon, I can introduce you to at least three (provided they aren’t currently visiting our county correctional facilities), then run you up to Portland and scrounge up a dozen more. Maybe it stretches belief to think a family of them would make it in Montana, but I still enjoyed the Seeds. Maybe because I actually know people like that. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GonzoArmstrong said:

I enjoyed the main story of this game immensely. The DLC was pretty bad though.

Same. Loved the main campaign but the LOM and Zombies DLC were just crap, especially LOM.

The Vietnam one was OK but that's largely because it had the same design philosophy as the main game. 

i liked it, and new dawn as well even though it was short. im having a hard time with 6. the jungle is to heavy. the map isnt very interesting in general. when going to attack bases its not as fun as it use to be im trying to stealth a base and there always seems to be a enemy who gets plucked in the skull by my sniper and doesnt die and alerts everyone. and being colorblind i absolutely hate night time. i dont know when these developers will realize night time is our worst enemy. in america if you say your colorblind while getting your license they will mark on there a restriction to not drive at night

On 01.02.2022 at 0:45 AM, JokerSmile007 said:

I’m just curious if anyone fr likes this game because it is honestly the worst game I’ve played in a long time. it physically makes me sick over 2/3s of the time I’m playing just because it’s capped at fucking 30fps on a ps4 pro

thx for writing this in the begininng so i could stop reading early.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For me, this is the one in best game, what's i'm playing. Cutscenes... All right, this is not revelations. But others! Cool! I completed this game 5 times, soundtrack still i listening in Apple Music from 3 years. You have a lot of weapons (someone weapons have a fun ideas) what's give a lot of fun and another throw weapons. Sweet animal friend AI, beautiful Montana, every place is a good reason to choose Photo Mode and make a few pictures. 30 FPS? Yep, but with good motion blur. Peppers hideout is a good thoughtful and all is other. History? Is in a good way. DLC's too give me a lot of fun, but in at the moment I played only Wietnam and Lost in Mars DLC. I'm glad they are very different and cool add-ones. 

And if I make anyone language mistakes, sry, I'm still learning ENG. 

And...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's been quite a while since I played it, but I really enjoyed this game. I wasn't a fan of how you get captured and forced into moving the story forward, but the rest was really enjoyable. The story was very interesting to me. Especially Faith Seed's parts. I'm also not religious in any way, but the religious music in the game is amazing. I still listen to it occasionally, and I played the game years ago.

The MP was absolutely horrible, though. I hated every second I had to play it for the plat. I also did not play any of the DLC's. My liking of the game is down to the main campaign only.

That being said, I wouldn't play it now, because it's at 30fps. After playing far more 60fps games on PS5, I won't go back.

I've finished FC3 and FC5. I much preferred FC5. I started FC4, but could not get into it at all. Ditched it after maybe 5 hours. FC6 is still in my backlog.

Edited by NathanW18
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 4:45 PM, JokerSmile007 said:

This is a complain thread if you don’t wanna read it don’t. 
I’m just curious if anyone fr likes this game because it is honestly the worst game I’ve played in a long time. it physically makes me sick over 2/3s of the time I’m playing just because it’s capped at fucking 30fps on a ps4 pro and ps5. The missions are shit, repetitive, monotonous, and tedious as fuck. The story genuinely didn’t captivate me at all, normally I will watch cutscenes and such when in this game I literally did not give a fuck what was happening. I tried to watch them, but it was so stupid. The plot is dumb, the characters are dumb, the ai is dumb. The distracting 15 enemies with rocks is glitched for some reason I’ve been trying for hours. I know I will eventually get the trophy to pop, but it’s infuriating how something so simple is bugged let alone the fact that it hasn’t been patched 3 fucking years later. The dlcs, are absolute shit and definitely do not add on to the base game story. The entire game, dlcs included is essentially just hored mode killing enemies over and over again till you 100% it. 1/10 rating imo one of the worst games I’ve EVER played and I honestly never wanna touch a far cry again after this one. 

LMAO funny rant. FC5 is actually my favorite Far Cry game to date and it greatly outshines its predecessors. A lot of the issue you listed were heavily present in some of the other Far Cry’s but I don’t think FC5 had the same issue. I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s still a Ubisoft game with the same old recycled formula, but at least the story and side missions are interesting. Gameplay’s fun too.