Master_Mayhem_

Why isn’t auto popping trophies classed as cheating?

128 posts in this topic

I can understand transferring saved data from PS4 to ps5 but if you haven’t earned the trophies then is that not classed as cheating? You only earn 1 trophy per trophy description and this makes a mockery of people’s 100% completion times as most auto popping completion times are seconds.

Because it's not? You already earned the platinum on the PS4, why would you go through the effort just to re-do a platinum you already did when you can just auto-pop it? That's why it exists. 

It's not cheating, I'd rather auto-pop a platinum for a game I already spent time and earned it on than playing all these super easy, quick games just to get a platinum and to artificially inflate your trophy numbers. That's more cheating than auto-popping to me. 

5 minutes ago, THE DARK KNIGHT said:

that's nonsense

How is it? Honestly, I don't think I can ever beat Zico's time in Wipeout Omega Collection ever again.

12 minutes ago, Bezenko said:

It’s a feature provided by Sony, so labeling it as cheating wouldn’t make much sense. If they should be eligible for fastest achiever however is another discussion. I can totally understand it being frustrating being dethroned by an autopopped list and I can’t really see how anyone would be bothered by being removed from fastest achiever with their 1 sec platinum. They didn’t put that much effort into it. Then again, probably many edge-cases with partially auto-popped lists which would make it hard to moderate

This basically. Auto-popping is an intended feature of the trophy system so it's not really controversial on its own

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Because there's a difference between sleazy and outright illegal.

Auto-popping can't be considered cheating, as it's unavoidable in some games (Hitman 3 for example, but I'm sure there are others,) and it's not obfuscating Sony-implimented policies, it's just using them for an unintended, but still acceptable secondary purpose.

There are plenty of things that are not 'standard' practice for earning trophies that are still acceptable within the community - having foreign accounts to get multiple region stacks / playing on "alt" accounts to preserve completion percentages / boosting / share-play...hell, even using guides is not technically "in the spirit" of gaming achievement... but none of those could be considered "cheating".

In the end, if you don't like Auto-popping, just don't do it - (personally, I tend to avoid it where I can, though I'm not extremist about it, and didn't get troubled when Hitman 3 decided it was gonna do it for me!) - but outside of site site's specific rules, you can't expect others to be beholden to your own standards.

All you can do is adhere to them yourself, and be happy with that.

This 100%. 👍

13 minutes ago, Mori said:

Auto-popping just for the sake of auto-popping is stupid and only "artificially inflates" your trophy numbers (as well). People can do whatever they want, but I'll never understand when people buy (new) games just to auto-pop instead of enjoying the games with better graphics/performances. 

For example I wonder how many people actually did at least one playthrough of Uncharted 4 / Uncharted LL remaster.

Agree. I see no difference between this and the various ezpz stuff 🙄

Would a feature to remove auto-poopers from fastest achievers ever be able to be a thing? @HusKy

Edited by willmill97

1 minute ago, grifteskymfning said:

The please continue looking at your trophy list and stop caring about what other people's lists look like, this is the root of your problem.

I want to climb on the leaderboards, but I would never buy a digital game, so imagine how hard it is for me to keep up when people get ten in nine minutes for eight dollars. The solution? Stop caring about everyone else.

TL;DR, you do you, boo.

Very true. I just don’t understand but maybe I never will. I just looked on the ps5 forum and the top post was people listing games with the ability to auto pop trophies and it just made me question a few things