Why isn’t auto popping trophies classed as cheating?

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

50 hour Final Fantasy Remake

I wish it only took me that long ??

2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I would be more concerned with games that actually only take 5 minutes to pop all the trophies. This is far more destructive than simply upgrading a version.

That said, I do think people have taken the PS4 to PS5 auto pop a little too far.

It does get a tad tiresome seeing "does this game auto pop" on every game thread that features PS4/PS5

Edited by Silocia
  • Like 3

Sony invented the feature themselves, and you had to put in the time to get the trophies the first time around on PS4. I guess you can personally consider it cheating, but I don't think it makes sense for sites like PSNProfiles to consider it cheating. 

Many things that others would consider cheating aren't in the realm of accepted trophy hunting/collecting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

This discussion has been going on since the days of Sly Cooper, SoundShapes and Motorstorm RC on PS3 and Vita and it will keep going on well into PS6, PS7, ViitaU and DekaVita 8. Give it a fucking rest.

Let people play however they want. What other people do to their platinums will never "devalue" yours.

Ah the good ole' dekavita
ggl01.jpg

• Like 3

Look, I played Spider-Man once. Took hours to do all those street crimes.

Insomniac implemented a save transfer that could also auto-pop all your achieved trophies from the PS4 version. I used it and it saved me many hours of doing the same exact thing again.

Doesn't at all mean I didn't "Earn" any of it. But I do agree that auto-pop should be removed from fastest times in this site. Maybe it's just complex coding involved. But it's really not a big deal and it doesn't bother me.

8 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Because all the casuals would get upset and quit trophy hoarding

? Who is a "casual" in that context?

I mean - someone who only plays 'casually' would likely not be auto popping anything - if they only play games casually, would they even care about trophies at all?

And what would be the opposite of "casuals" in that context? :hmm:

Professionals? :dunno:

I don't know many folks who get paid to trophy hunt - though if they're out there, and they're making money out of auto-popping, God Bless, I say!  ?

• Like 1

If it's possible by legit means, then it's possible by legit means. It's a feature implemented by Sony themselves, so it is 100% not cheating.

Imo, the leaderboard system of this site should not change just because a few people don't like auto pops for whatever reason. The changes that people requested here (eg, make a minimum time requirement for occurring on fastest achievers in certain games) is far too specific to be even possibly implemented in a simple fashion or at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f602.png Who is a "casual" in that context?

I mean - someone who only plays 'casually' would likely not be auto popping anything - if they only play games casually, would they even care about trophies at all?

And what would be the opposite of "casuals" in that context? :hmm:

Professionals? :dunno:

I don't know many folks who get paid to trophy hunt - though if they're out there, and they're making money out of auto-popping, God Bless, I say!  1f602.png

By casuals I mean the hoarders. The ones that play crap, stack crap and autopop more crap.

The opposite is anyone who doesn’t play crap just to increase a number by one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mori said:

In my opinion it is ridiculous to pay any amount of money to autopop trophies. Imagine paying 60 bucks (or a smaller amount a la upgrading it) just to auto-pop trophies and then abondon the game immediately. Look, auto-popping per se isn't the issue here, it is what it is. But seeing how many people get 1 second 100% achievement, I have a hard time believing each and everyone played through the game again, which begs the question, why even bother getting the game a second time?

And I am well aware that people will never get to an agreement on how to trophy hunt. It just seems wrong to me.

Why would I pay $60 for a PS5 game, when I can pay $60 for a PS4 game with a free PS5 upgrade? Why not autopop that PS5 version since it was free anyway?

If the game offers the option, and I didn't enjoy it that much the first time around, I'm not slogging through it twice.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mori said:

In my opinion it is ridiculous to pay any amount of money to autopop trophies. Imagine paying 60 bucks (or a smaller amount a la upgrading it) just to auto-pop trophies and then abondon the game immediately. Look, auto-popping per se isn't the issue here, it is what it is. But seeing how many people get 1 second 100% achievement, I have a hard time believing each and everyone played through the game again, which begs the question, why even bother getting the game a second time?

And I am well aware that people will never get to an agreement on how to trophy hunt. It just seems wrong to me.

who cares? If someone wants to climb the leaderboards it’s their business. I have avoided auto popping other than some Sly 4, but I’ll have to do it all twice since that didn’t even work properly last time I did it. And it’s probably going to get shut off eventually anyway. If not already. 

Oh and Senran Kagura… Estival Versus? But that you still had to do certain things again. With how overall repetitious it is I didn’t feel like doing it fresh, twice. 

you feeing like that’s somehow less valid or something doesn’t change anything for me. Stop caring what others think. 

some people think getting the same platinum at all is weird. Even when you do it fresh. Someone is always going to take issue with how you do things. Most people think trophies in general are a waste of time and they shouldn’t exist. So

13 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Why would I pay $60 for a PS5 game, when I can pay $60 for a PS4 game with a free PS5 upgrade? Why not autopop that PS5 version since it was free anyway?

If the game offers the option, and I didn't enjoy it that much the first time around, I'm not slogging through it twice.

I do this, but I’d rather use the free upgrade / double plat as an excuse to replay a game. Plus I’d rather play on PS5 first. May change that tune when I try Avengers though. Looks like a tedious platinum made more tedious with updates. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

who cares? If someone wants to climb the leaderboards it’s their business. I have avoided auto popping other than some Sly 4, but I’ll have to do it all twice since that didn’t even work properly last time I did it. And it’s probably going to get shut off eventually anyway. If not already. 

Oh and Senran Kagura… Estival Versus? But that you still had to do certain things again. With how overall repetitious it is I didn’t feel like doing it fresh, twice. 

you feeing like that’s somehow less valid or something doesn’t change anything for me. Stop caring what others think. 

some people think getting the same platinum at all is weird. Even when you do it fresh. Someone is always going to take issue with how you do things. Most people think trophies in general are a waste of time and they shouldn’t exist. So

I do this, but I’d rather use the free upgrade / double plat as an excuse to replay a game. Plus I’d rather play on PS5 first. May change that tune when I try Avengers though. Looks like a tedious platinum made more tedious with updates. 

I did that with Spider Man and MM cause I wanted to play the best version available. I did PS4 Guardians though. It was ok, but not likely worth stacking. I’ll probably do the same with SW Fallen Order. I figure I’ll start with PS4, if I enjoy it I can play it again, if not, auto pop is always on the table.

I think it boils down to each person's interpretation of cheating.

Boosting for trophies in certain games, such as the Killzone games, were not only frowned upon by the developers, but could actually get you banned/suspended from playing the games online. Players didn't care nor considered it cheating, while some did. Trying to get those online trophies otherwise, especially later in the game's lifecycle, was literally impossible to do without boosting, yet you will get the purists who say "well too bad you didn't play it at launch, you don't deserve to have those trophies if you boosted for them". I can comfortably say the majority of players probably don't feel this way, myself included, but purists like that do exist.

I think auto-popping trophies is in a similar boat to boosting where some people have the purist mentality. Some may argue this is even worse since "it doesn't take effort" but even some forms of boosting could be seen in the same light (going AFK and letting someone else do the work etc.). Some autopop games may even make you pretty much play the entire game again anyway like Death Stranding where you have to progress through the story again in order to be able to craft all the PCC structures.

I personally see it as a form of gatekeeping, but I can also understand the purist perspective. To each their own.

• Like 2

I don't mind if other people auto-pop, but I think it looks awful on a profile and do it only if necessary. If I recall correctly, I've only done it for FFVII Remake, since I wanted to play the Yuffie DLC, and Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, since I didn't have Lost Legacy. If I could only have one stack without hiding trophies, I would.

49 minutes ago, gernboes said:

What? 

I dont care about autopop either way, because i dont care about other peoples lists at all, but your point is absolute nonsense... If this view would be used on "real" accomplishments you argue that a sprinter that has won gold over 100m at the Olympics 10 years ago should either get a new gold medal every year, because he has done it once so he proved he can do it, or he should return his medal because he isnt able to win anymore. Thats so random it doesnt make sense no matter how you look at it... 

A Platinum earned in 2015 says you were able to earn it in 2015. Nothing more. It doesnt say you are able to earn it more than once and it doesnt say you are able to earn it in 2022 or in 2030.

no, that's no what I'm saying, at all, that's what he's saying, you need better reading comprehension skills, first of all, your comparison is nonsense, slight movement of fingers vs hundreds of body subsystems functioning at human peak, no matter how much you want to argue, gaming never was, isn't, and never will be a physical sport or even 5% that, so your point is invalid either way, but I'll adress it this one only

what he's saying is that if you win a medal in a sport competition, ex swiming speed, and you happen to get best record there in his generation, and some other athlete in another generation later looks at it and says, hmmm, I want to beat that, the guy says that, that shouldn't exist, because that original person might not be able to do it again anyway, so you don't need to bother recognizing his achievment for later generations

what I'm saying is that, that is nonsense, he got that record, doesn't matter when if he can do it again, as long as it's legit, after that, 100 years later, it can still be recognized

same with trophies, you can get a hard trophy on PS4, you got it, if the PS5 or PS6 has a legit system feature that recognizes that, nothing wrong with it

the only persons that have a reason to be upset at the autopop ps5 features are the people that don't have a ps5, which is weird because are you planning on never having a ps5? you will have a ps5 at some point, you can do it too, unless you plan on stopping gaming, in which case, what do you care anyway?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

It's the same way around, too, though... If we think that an autopopped list looks like shit on any profile, and think it is weird to autopop a game, it's our right to express that opinion. It doesn't change anything for the people that do autopop games? Of course it doesn't. But the discussion can still be had. 

The OP went a bit far asking why it's not considered "cheating", but I am in the camp that doesn't understand why people spend money on a game they already own just to fire it up for a minute and autopop trophies. Doesn't matter if they spent another 60 bucks for the second version or only 10 bucks for an upgrade. You liked the game? Just play through the version you own again.  

• Like 4