Why isn’t auto popping trophies classed as cheating?

The anti-poppers seem a bit too concerned about this "issue".

I personally don't auto-pop, and I don't even buy remasters of games I already played because I don't want duplicate trophy lists on my profile.

I even hate the fact that some "reboots" have the same title of the originals (God of War, for example).

But that being said, just play your game and enjoy it while you get your platinum/100%.

I don't understand why you even care about leaderboards and stuff.

If you want to get 5 different "legit" platinums for the same game, I surely hope it's because you enjoy the game so much.

Wouldn't the enjoyment be reward enough?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, enaysoft said:

Auto popping is not cheating, but it's certainly as close to cheating as you can possibly get. It's unfair and shady at best.

I know some guy got above 50 upvotes saying it's not cheating.

However, you are getting free trophies for literally no reason.

Imagine if I worked for a week in a 1 week contract, and got paid stocking shelves in a warehouse. And then several years later I got the exact same task, but I just got paid for it anyway and didn't have to stock the shelves at all, and the reason was because I'd stocked them before years earlier.

Or worse, you just expected the money without doing any of the work, because you'd done the work years ago.

That would be weird, in either circumstance.

Who cares if you did them once, you shouldn't be rewarded trophies for literally doing nothing.

Having said that, considering the cash for trophies joke of a system we have now, autopopping is certainly the lesser of two evils.

I felt dirty for doing this to Sound Shapes, but that was right when I decided I wasn't going to buy some piece of crap just to get easy trophies. Games have to hold some semblance of interest for me to bother buying and getting the trophies for.

Trophies should only be treated as the cherry on top of the cake. That's why I don't value any of these EZPZ games that have been the rage these past couple years, especially now with a PS5 since you can practically get a dozen stacks of the same game in some cases.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I felt dirty for doing this to Sound Shapes, but that was right when I decided I wasn't going to buy some piece of crap just to get easy trophies. Games have to hold some semblance of interest for me to bother buying and getting the trophies for.

Trophies should only be treated as the cherry on top of the cake. That's why I don't value any of these EZPZ games that have been the rage these past couple years, especially now with a PS5 since you can practically get a dozen stacks of the same game in some cases.

Not to mention the stacks release pretty much weekly... 

but yeah Autopop isn't cheating. When people buy digital, often you may get ps4 and ps5 version of games and they can have autopop... Outriders for example.You log on and get trophies. No ones at fault. 

10 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

It's all pixels on your profile. 

This reductionist articulation is extremely dishonest. I can just demote anything to the level of a vegetable by saying things like "Dark Souls is about killing monsters and nothing else, it's just about killing monsters" or "Rhythm games are just about hitting notes". I can literally reduce anything that way and strip it of all its importance. You know trophies aren't just pixels on a screen; but rather a hobby in which many people invest a lot of money and time of their lives and therefore care about the overall quality of that hobby. I agree that we shouldn't care what other people do with their money and time, but what I see mostly here are hobbyists, people who have been hunting trophies for a decade, complaining about the fundamentals or how things have changed in regarding this hobby. while you can choose not to play games or buy something, the system as a whole is already damaged and many people feel entitled to complain as a consumer. the system as a whole, competition and leaderboards as a whole, is no longer the same as before. this is the point. it was never about individuals.

I don't know why people even complain about cheating in any form because all of are cheaters, 100% of us!

The moment you play coop with your spouse on Overcooked, it's not your personal trophies anymore.

Back in ye old days, it used to be just game guides like some official guide book you bought, but none of us live in a one cell vacuum. The moment you even look at this very site for tips or tricks, you've cheated.

Looking at a guide means you didn't have to find all the collectibles yourself / or found a tactic for a boss you were struggling on. Sure we could pretend it's 1992 again and you literally had to get good at games all by yourself to complete them, but who does that anymore?

Don't worry about what other people are doing, if would I say.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kevao97 said:

This reductionist articulation is extremely dishonest. I can just demote anything to the level of a vegetable by saying things like "Dark Souls is about killing monsters and nothing else, it's just about killing monsters" or "Rhythm games are just about hitting notes". I can literally reduce anything that way and strip it of all its importance. You know trophies aren't just pixels on a screen; but rather a hobby in which many people invest a lot of money and time of their lives and therefore care about the overall quality of that hobby. I agree that we shouldn't care what other people do with their money and time, but what I see mostly here are hobbyists, people who have been hunting trophies for a decade, complaining about the fundamentals or how things have changed in regarding this hobby. while you can choose not to play games or buy something, the system as a whole is already damaged and many people feel entitled to complain as a consumer. the system as a whole, competition and leaderboards as a whole, is no longer the same as before. this is the point. it was never about individuals.

Yes, I agree, I maybe went from one extreme to the other. But when I see elitists on this forum all I can do is laugh. For so many people they feel like their worth as a gamer and as a human is more because they have more trophies, rarer trophies, more overall completion etc. The issue may be because I am very non-competitive person, I don't care what others do. I don't care if person next to me is platinuming bunch of easy shit or are they platinuming something notoriously difficult. This doesn't affect my life, and it doesn't affect anyone elses. What happened to playing games you enjoy and as a cherry on top platinuming it? Why do people suffer through horrible games for hours on end just to get that 0,1%? Is that trophy THAT valuable? Will you get bragging right? At least easy plats I get- 10 minutes, you get your trophies and you move on. 

You say it's about old trophy hunters complaining about their hobby being tainted/changed. If they take so much pride in their profiles of platinuming only good games, then shouldn't that be it? What do they care about what new trophy hunters do? Isn't it just the old man yelling at the clouds thing?

It's the elitism that really annoys me. I've seen comments on this forum where people haven't played amazing games just because they have easy platinums. People shitting on others for having easy plats. People not playing great games just because one or two trophy is not obtainable and they wouldn't have 100%. People mocking when someone couldn't unlock a trophy and asked for help. 

That's why I say "Chill, those are just ps trophies, they are not that important". I may be going from one extreme "trophies are everything I have in life" to "trophies are meaningless". But some people really need to step back and look at trophy hunting as a whole, if they think other peoples profiles affect them in any way. 

And the irony of not caring what other people do and yet me being annoyed by elitists is not lost on me, I see that. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ArtMontef said:

It's the elitism that really annoys me. I've seen comments on this forum where people haven't played amazing games just because they have easy platinums. People shitting on others for having easy plats. People not playing great games just because one or two trophy is not obtainable and they wouldn't have 100%.

Is it possible to agree so hard that you pass out?…

…Because I feel a little woozy. ?

The whole notion of “I won’t play that, the trophies are too easy” is as obnoxious as it is laughable- and only ever betrays the insecurities of the person making the statement.

Imagine wrapping so much of your own self-worth in something as insignificant as an average trophy rarity value ?

The irony is, those folks are often the first ones to call out people only playing “EzPz GaEmZ”… or avoiding hard games because it might “mess up thier profile”

…yet both those groups are essentially doing the exact same thing.

They’re both choosing what to play based on rarity - just from the opposite end of the scale.

Neither is playing games for the reasons that should matter: because they look like fun!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

On 01/02/2022 at 1:37 PM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I can understand transferring saved data from PS4 to ps5 but if you haven’t earned the trophies then is that not classed as cheating? You only earn 1 trophy per trophy description and this makes a mockery of people’s 100% completion times as most auto popping completion times are seconds.

I personally would never auto pop or stack. But I'm quite happy for those that want to, it's a free plat that saves time, and ofc.. it makes Sony more money which in turn empower them to buy more studios and put more money back into the games. if you think, that it's just cheese and not something you want to do.. then don't do it and it's something else you've achieved, but everyone has different goals. 

some people want the most or every plat in existence others just want what they enjoy, or can be bothered with. It's not cheating because everyone has a fair shake at it, it would only be cheating if you had to augment pre existing systems to do something other people can't.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 2

I cant really voice my opinions without sounding hypocritical but;

Battlefield 4, I had to replay the story. Upgrading from PS3 to PS4 automatically gave me the online trophies.

GTAV was exactly the same as above.

The Last of Us I redid everything.

as of the modern way;

Star Wars and Plague Tale, I auto-popped for the collectables but replayed both games.

I get why people don't like it, you only did the requirement once so that should mean you only get the 1 trophy. My opinion is that the leaderboards are broke anyway and unless you scum/cheese/whatever you want to call it, you're not going to be competing. You can spend 150 hours getting one platinum while someone in the same time could get 150 platinums and because all platinums are "worth" the same, the person who got 150 "wins".

I've stopped looking at other peoples profiles and comparing and only check other peoples profiles if something catches my eye and I'm curious on the games they play. I've found and played some fantastic games this way that I dont think I would have played otherwise.

32 minutes ago, I-Reaped-U said:

Cheating? REALLY? 1f644.png
Considering this is something that is implemented by Sony & developers, this is one of the most asinine posts I've ever seen on here. 

It is implemented by Sony & developers but it is abused by people who just want trophies and rarely used for the purpose it was designed for. It should not be allowed. At least a hacker put more effort into getting free trophies. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should

21 minutes ago, Master_Mayhem_ said:

It is implemented by Sony & developers but it is abused by people who just want trophies and rarely used for the purpose it was designed for. It should not be allowed. At least a hacker put more effort into getting free trophies. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should

Lol, “absused.”
Purpose: pop trophies again if you did them on one PS platform. No explicit or defined limitations. 

“But they’re doing it too much!”

• Like 3

The only damaging thing about the auto-popping trophies is that it could actually prevent some gamers wanting to buy the game on the next console if the trophies are just going to pop from stored data. You might look forward to going through something like GTAV, Witcher 3 or Spider-Man and getting he 100% all over again after a couple of years, but if the trophies are going to auto-pop then whats the point. 

How the OP came up with auto-popping as cheating I truly don't know why that would enter his mind. Its out of the gamers control 100%. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

2 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

The only damaging thing about the auto-popping trophies is that it could actually prevent some gamers wanting to buy the game on the next console if the trophies are just going to pop from stored data. You might look forward to going through something like GTAV, Witcher 3 or Spider-Man and getting he 100% all over again after a couple of years, but if the trophies are going to auto-pop then whats the point. 

I’m pretty sure all the examples of games you gave could be played again without using a previous save and so the trophies wouldn’t auto-pop if someone wanted to 100% them again. There are only a few games that “force” a previous save and auto-popping, and even then, they could do so on another profile if they really wanted to do it for the experience again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I’m pretty sure all the examples of games you gave could be played again without using a previous save and so the trophies wouldn’t auto-pop if someone wanted to 100% them again. There are only a few games that “force” a previous save and auto-popping, and even then, they could do so on another profile if they really wanted to do it for the experience again. 

In all honesty I have no idea how it works. I thought it would be a detection thing like when a sequel recognises you have played the previous games and so gives you a small reward.BUt lack of knowledge or not, its in no way cheating. It can indeed be a matter or opinion similar to that of gamers who play shot games to unlock trophies quickly, but thats a leaderboard score craze that has been going in since the 70's in gaming and its not going away but its doing nothing wrong. Unless of course actual cheating is discovered. 

5 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

You say it's about old trophy hunters complaining about their hobby being tainted/changed. If they take so much pride in their profiles of platinuming only good games, then shouldn't that be it? What do they care about what new trophy hunters do? Isn't it just the old man yelling at the clouds thing?

although their gaming routine hasn't changed, they don't have the prominence they once did. then they will complain about things like quality control, how Sony allows sub-mobile games to be released for ps5, or how the main page of the site is full of these games. there are many points to consider. the leaderboard has become obsolete, a problem that could easily be solved with a new leaderboard. competitive people have lost their chances to compete as it becomes useless. but the individual who takes it to such an extreme personal level that he feels superior to another for that reason, then the problem is in that person's mind.

5 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

It's the elitism that really annoys me. I've seen comments on this forum where people haven't played amazing games just because they have easy platinums. People shitting on others for having easy plats. People not playing great games just because one or two trophy is not obtainable and they wouldn't have 100%. People mocking when someone couldn't unlock a trophy and asked for help. 

I get your point, and I would say that worrying about it isn't worth it either. do yourself a favor and ignore it. this is about the human condition, people will complain one way or another, put each other down, find reasons to feel superior, etc. it's human nature. Ultimately, this is an environment designed for discussions on this particular topic, so I would also expect people to disagree on this, particularly when it comes to the fundamentals of the hobby.

failing to play something because it is easy or difficult, or making fun of a person who is asking for help (ironically in an environment where support is expected), is pathetic. that last one I always engage in conversation, there's no point in you mocking someone asking for help on a gaming forum instead of adding something.

while I can understand someone who would stop playing something because it's unobtainable, I don't see myself doing the same. for example Mad Max, I don't see myself playing it right now, but if it was a game I wanted to play I would have no problem playing it on my account.

I don't get why people are bashing Op for this post. It might appear every now and then indeed, but it's all in good fun to talk about trophies and their issues etc, as long as it's civilised. 

First of all, there is no debate, it's not cheating since it's all Sony on this one.

But the excuse that it is normal because someone already finished that game is the laziest excuse I've seen out there. In what world is that a thing.. no, you play it once, you get the list once. In the same vibe, then all remasters should auto pop (more pixels? so what, already finished it once), and let's take it further, if I need to do x playthroughs to get the plat, then I want x plats, not just the one. Zero validity, I'm sorry.

Same with Ezpz in the end, not cheating but morally they are both on the lowest spectrum. Especially with this new mode of levels as entire games and full plat (that was a new low didn't think we could go - and the worse part is a lot are biting on that...) 

There are a lot that don't like the current LB because of the ezpz and the stacks, but let me tell you, the rarity one you're wishing for is already doomed because of autopop. There is no salvation when it comes to LBs

P.s: Morality is always a thing, doesn't matter how small or insignificant a subject is

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rejim said:

I don't get why people are bashing Op for this post. It might appear every now and then indeed, but it's all in good fun to talk about trophies and their issues etc, as long as it's civilised. 

people act as if it's abnormal for a forum to have the atmosphere expected of a forum. Op asked a valid question and it was answered multiple times correctly, simple. It's a valid point to question why it's not cheating, people have questioned it since Sound Shapes, and it's an interesting debate because it opens up a lot of other questions.