Why isn’t auto popping trophies classed as cheating?

On 2/6/2022 at 6:37 AM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

It is implemented by Sony & developers but it is abused by people who just want trophies and rarely used for the purpose it was designed for. It should not be allowed. At least a hacker put more effort into getting free trophies. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should

Yes, by modding a console.

Autopopping has existed for at least a decade now. Sound Shapes, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. The servers were shut down for Sound Shapes a few years back so you can't even transfer your saves anymore, which triggers the autopops.

This is a fine line we're drawing here. At least games that allowed autopopped trophies were the exception, not the rule. Now you have a bunch of PS5 games where people just autopop the trophies, making the leaderboards more of a joke and making numbers essentially worthless. For some games like Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, you automatically get both the PS4 and PS5 versions if you buy them digital.

You transfer your save over and you get a platinum time of one second. This was fine in the PS3 days, because there were only like three or four games that allowed this. Now it's on a lot of games.

Imaging caring the least bit about say a Spiderman game rarity going down because Insomniac, a PS studio nonetheless implemented auto-pop. Never mind people actually do still have PS4s, could actually be a few trophies from 100%. They can pickup progress on the PS5 version exactly where they left off. I took the PS4 on a trip to finish a game, but not my PS5 once because we all know you can't just go walking into wally world and pick up one if it got stolen or broke. Being able to sync stuff is cool, and the right way to do things. Not everyone is privileged for a perfect situation.

I just think this is poking the bear in a glass house using the excuse 'but I played the game'. Yes, yes you did, all 24 seconds for a platinum. 

@technole That's what's great about the Cloud. I always back up my saves on the Cloud whenever I can. The only downside is I have to be a PS Plus member to even do this. Modern technology is not infallible especially when it comes to modern electronics like PS5s, Xbox Series Xs and PCs.

I'm just waiting for the price to come down for a PS5, because there are still too many rabid people out there who will give up an arm and a leg just to get their hands on one. It's still a valuable product in the black market economy.

I've done a number of autopops myself, but it does seem like autopopping trophies on PS5 is rather excessive.

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 3:37 AM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I can understand transferring saved data from PS4 to ps5 but if you haven’t earned the trophies then is that not classed as cheating? You only earn 1 trophy per trophy description and this makes a mockery of people’s 100% completion times as most auto popping completion times are seconds.

I must say, this is a really bold statement for someone who has My Name is Mayo 1 AND 2 in their plats.
#justsayin

43 minutes ago, boki_juda said:

I must say, this is a really bold statement for someone who has My Name is Mayo 1 AND 2 in their plats.
#justsayin

Why? I got those trophies by playing the game and following the trophy requirements. I didn’t transfer a save and unlock 30+ trophies. No comparison really. I want My Name is Mayo 3 as those games are legendary now lol.

43 minutes ago, boki_juda said:

#justsayin

Not to be a dick, but you have A Chick C and A Cow G in yours. 

Mayo 1 and 2 are two different games with two sets of trophies. They have about the same amount of variety between them as, I assume by the title and completion times, the Chick and the Cow. 

I think the whole point is about getting one plat for playing and then getting one for free. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

Not to be a dick, but you have A Chick C and A Cow G in yours. 

Mayo 1 and 2 are two different games with two sets of trophies. They have about the same amount of variety between them as, I assume by the title and completion times, the Chick and the Cow. 

I think the whole point is about getting one plat for playing and then getting one for free. 

I never complained about autopop, nor will I.
Also, I do not have 10-20-30-400 hours to waste on the exact same game, and I will gladly take the plat.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, The Investigator said:

you already did the work, nothing to cheat about, if you did it once, yu can do it again, it's just saving time

On 2/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, RicosTrophyHunt said:

If the game auto pops the trophies then how is someone supposed to avoid this from happening? If they load up the game and it pops the trophies then there is no way to avoid it so can't be classed as cheating. If they have legit earned the trophy in a different version of the game then they have met the requirements for the trophy...

chef's kiss

• Like 2

I hate autopopping games on the PS5 because now they all don't register every trophy with an individual ding. It only shows one trophy popping with a ding and that's supposed to represent 40-50 other trophies popping.

It's very unsatisfying, especially for people who try to get as many trophies to all pop at once.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 2

As regards the original question: It’s not considered cheating - meaning, something that is against the letter of the rules - because it is a system designed by Sony and their developers, and is behaving as intended. Whether some people choose to pervert the presumed purpose to double-dip or not is irrelevant.

There’s a lot of things being said about the apparent morality or motivation of auto-poppers, most of it unflattering at best. I can’t speak to that on behalf of others, nor am I going to deny that there are people who take it to an extreme (Though I do think it’s a bit odd that people will deliberately buy one version with the express intent to get “2 for 1” out of it.)

I present my own reasons for the autopop games I have, to note that it may not be malicious or just “trophy whoring.” Judge as you will. Several titles (NiohNioh 2Mortal Kombat 11 or DMC5, for example) were due to additional content. It would have cost the same to buy the Season Passes for the two Nioh games, so why not pick up a version that has it all? Some (Spider-Man, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves, Maneater) were games I had lost access to, due to financial problems related to illness; with Spider-Man and Maneater, I wanted to keep going from where I had been previously. Some were gifts from my wife, who is aware my primary interests are PS5 games and has a decent idea of the sorts of games I like, but has a nebulous-at-best idea of what I already own (JudgmentBinding of IsaacBorderlands 3.) Some have auto-pop options tied to a previous game in the series (Hitman 3.) Several of these I didn’t actually auto-pop - Uncharted and Borderlands I started from scratch, Hitman 3’s servers were behaving erratically and failed to transfer my Hitman 2 saveand Judgment and DMC5 don’t even offer the option - and others I’ve since gone back and done everything again anyway (I have Dead God on all three save slots for Isaac, because I adore the game that much.) The only auto-pop I have that could potentially be considered worrisome is Fallen Order; I had finished the PS4 version back near launch, and only recently went back to get the collectibles cleaned up. Then I discovered it had a free PS5 upgrade. With the sequel looming, I figured that I’d want a PS5 save file - in case anything carried over or gave bonuses - and I had forgotten some of the story beats, so intended to beat it again. Then I discovered it ran terribly on my PS5; I do not know why this is the case. After fighting with a bad frame rate and sluggish controls for a while, I said “hell with it” and imported my save. (For what it’s worth, I then went and did a fresh run through on the PS4 version for my story refresher.) Call it scummy if you like.

TL; DR - You can’t really call it “cheating,” since it’s a system that’s behaving as intended. There’s lots of reasons someone might use autopop, and most of them have no malicious, sleazy or competitively advantaged focus. Even in the instances where it is being used in those ways, it’s sort of an “it is what it is” situation, and is just one of the many ways certain individuals manipulate the way the leaderboards function for an inflated rank. (Though I do think, if there was a way to do it that wasn’t open to exploitation, making an adjustment to “fastest achievers” to make autopops not count wouldn’t be a terrible idea.)

• Like 1

If people are going to call this "cheating", the CRT (Cheater Removal Team) should of gone after those who autopopped Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and Sound Shapes. I believe those were two of the first games to have autopopping trophies.

Because the leaderboards are now pointless, and PS5 autopops are just as common as the EZPZ five minute platinums, you really can't justify auto popping trophies to be actually "cheating" since countless many have already done it.

On 1.2.2022 at 2:37 PM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I can understand transferring saved data from PS4 to ps5 but if you haven’t earned the trophies then is that not classed as cheating? You only earn 1 trophy per trophy description and this makes a mockery of people’s 100% completion times as most auto popping completion times are seconds.

Well, you did the work, so i don't see the problem?

Most games (i've autopopped 2 games, so i only speak from my own experience), only autopop SOME trophies, and some you have to do again. 

I see no problem in f.x FIFA games, where the ps4 and ps5 version is "the same", f.x in ultimate team, it's the same, so of course you should get the trophy in both versions :) 

On 2/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

Sony made the API that allowed developers to do it, go and complain to them that they did that instead of enforcing shared lists as some games used to when they were available on ps3&ps4 ps3&vita etc or i believe, now on xbox. 

people will auto pop trophies either for the sake of it or to continue on solely on ps5. I don’t auto pop myself (since i don’t collect that many platinums anyways) but i wouldn’t get salty that someone who just got ps5 decided to transfer their save and auto pop all already received trophies from e.g. ac valhalla to continue on with dlcs on ps5 and if that means they also got platinum - good for them, hope they enjoy that 100% on ps5 list. 

Are you also upset difficulty trophies stack in some games? why would you get a trophy for lower difficulty modes? you’ve only finished on hard and one time after all and you get “one trophy per trophy description”

Also letting transfer a save but not trophies would ultimately force people who want to continue the game on ps5 (and aim for platinum) to either start a new or have to replay the game anyways to get trophies they are locked from getting - story trophies they cannot obtain anymore after the point when the trophy meant to pop.  

Edited by virianna
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, virianna said:

Are you also upset difficulty trophies stack in some games? why would you get a trophy for lower difficulty modes? you’ve only finished on hard and one time after all and you get “one trophy per trophy description”

I guess this is how they reward you for jumping in at the deep end right away.

Edited by Nebnit

When it comes to “effort vs reward/recognition” the whole trophy system is worthless and not worth getting upset about.

Just go platinum something like FF XIV, Monster Hunter World or an NBA 2K, then compare that to My Name is Mayo or even Miles Morales and Rift Apart.

There’s just no relative value. Think of the autopops as trophies for managing to actually track down a PS5 early. That’s probably taken most people more money/effort than it takes to complete a dozen of the EZ-shovelware titles anyway.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 10:37 AM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I can't to believe that I'm reading that... If you don't like don't do it. 

11 minutes ago, brunorossin said:

I can't to believe that I'm reading that... If you don't like don't do it. 

Believe it. If you are the fastest achiever of a platinum trophy then 200 people auto pop in 3 seconds you would be pretty annoyed. Also trophies that should be ultra rare, very rare then become uncommon and common. What do you find hard to believe?

• Like 1

On 1. 2. 2022 at 2:55 PM, Mori said:

Auto-popping just for the sake of auto-popping is stupid and only "artificially inflates" your trophy numbers (as well). People can do whatever they want, but I'll never understand when people buy (new) games just to auto-pop instead of enjoying the games with better graphics/performances. 

For example I wonder how many people actually did at least one playthrough of Uncharted 4 / Uncharted LL remaster.

So you want to tell me that you would waste another lets say 65+ hours just to do game you already did just because it has better graphics/performance? As much as I love Resident Evil 3 I just didn't wanted to bother doing the ps5 version from 0. So I don't understand why you don't understand that people are doing it when they have the chance to do it. 

• Like 1